Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey for apartment purchase?

Options
  • 26-06-2014 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am in the process of deciding whether to buy a ground floor apartment in south dublin.

I'm just wondering is it necessary to get a building survey carried out on the apartment, as you normally would with a house? Is it the same cost as a house survey?

Also, has anyone had any experiences with the underground car park being below the apartment with noise or car fumes (its entrance is below this apartment), smells from sewerage pipes or otherwise?

thanks for the advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I can't help with the survey, but unless you have fallen in love with the apartment, run!

We have lived in two apartments in the same block, one 2nd floor, the other ground. Our gas bill was almost double as we were basically above a cave, and with the grates giving air to the Carpark also carried sound, so we could hear every car starting, most conversations etc (as the sounds echoed). We would never ever take an apartment above a Carpark again. If your apartment is near the entrance, the gates clanging open / close as people drive in and out at all hours will be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

thanks. as its a gated development, there are no gates going into the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do get a survey. You don't know what it might throw up.

Obvious issues for a ground floor apartment are noise and security.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Victor wrote: »
    Do get a survey. You don't know what it might throw up.

Indeed...look at Priory Hall.

Advertisement