Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oven element rating

Options
  • 26-06-2014 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I have a whirlpool oven AKP243/WH .
    The old element was rated 2000watt .
    The oven badge is rated at 2300watt
    I went to a local supplier and he gave me a replacement but when I checked the element power rating was 2400watt
    It does fit but is 100watt over the rating a danger ???

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Are you not 400watt increase? you said old one was 2000w and new one 2400w.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

thanks, I am going by the 2300watt badge on the oven .

Robbie71 wrote: »
    thanks, I am going by the 2300watt badge on the oven .

Do you not realise you want to replace an element which is 400 watts more than the original?

I was sold this as a replacement , so I am looking for advice , If I have to change it I will be without oven for a few days..
    If the oven has a rating of 2300 I was hoping 100watt over would not make a huge difference.

In my opinion you are going to have to change like for like. Have you asked the supplier of the element what his opinion is?
    Your oven rating is 2300 watts as you say is there not other electrical loads also?

• Advertisement

there is a grill element also . Dont think they come on at the same time.
    I will contact supplier for his opinion ,thanks

Update - spoke to supplier who said 2400w would be fine . Spoke to a rival supplier and they said the same. They said original 2000w element was probably incorrect/less efficient and extra 100watts wont be any danger.

Robbie71 wrote: »
    They said original 2000w element was probably incorrect/less efficient and extra 100watts wont be any danger.

But its not 100 watts, its 400 watts. Your thinking analogy is all wrong. The rating on the plate is the total wattage, this would include light in oven, fan (s), timer etc. Do you think the control switching gear and stats for the element will handle the extra 400 watts?
    I would seriously doubt an incorrect element was fitted first day, them suppliers only told you what you wanted to hear.
    Can you put up the model number and i can check a spares parts book to see what element is right.

whirlpool oven AKP243/WH

2000 watt is the element for that oven, your suppliers are very complaisant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement