Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating advice (Dublin)?

• 26-06-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Bit early for this, I know, but it's likely that I'm going to end up repeating and I want to get this out of the way. My main problem has been missing much of the past three years because of an illness. Due to this, I just had to take a run at the LC, and while I feel that my score was definitely in the 400s, it's not enough for the course I really want. I feel confident that I could get the course if I had another year to actually study and have a proper go at it, so I think this is the best option for me.

For the LC this year I did English, Irish, Maths, French, Chemistry, Biology and Physics, all HL.

My idea is to drop Irish and English, the former because it's far too much work and the latter because I don't want to study a whole new set of material. I think they're both subjects that could trip me up and I'd rather not do them again.

I'm thinking about taking up Ag Sci. I live on a farm, so it would be relevant to me xD I heard that there's a good amount of overlap with Bio and you get the same kind of Genetics questions, which are my favourite part of the Biology course, so it seems like a good option for me. However, I heard that you need a teacher for Ag Sci due to the project, so is doing it yourself not an option?

Also, I'm thinking of doing Japanese instead of French this time around. I won't be starting fresh as it's been an interest for a while now. Looking at the past examination papers, I can make sense of a good bit of the comprehensions and it all seems very simple. I'm not sure if there's any places that do Japanese, but I think I'd be fine on my own for the written part of it at least.

So, in summary, I'm thinking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Japanese and Ag Sci, all HL once again. Looking for some input from people who did Jap/Ag Sci, and confirmation as to whether I need to attend a college if I want to do Ag Sci. And maybe some suggestions of places where I could do it if so?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

If you are doing Maths and Physics, and want your points to be in the 500s, I would say you should do Applied Maths. You could start looking at it over the summer :)

I'd imagine that learning a language in a year, even if it's a two year course would be tough. I'm sure you could, but would you get a better grade in Japanese than French with the same amount of work? I doubt it.

Just my two cents, hopefully you wont need to repeat :) Good luck either way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

If you are doing Maths and Physics, and want your points to be in the 500s, I would say you should do Applied Maths. You could start looking at it over the summer :)

I'd imagine that learning a language in a year, even if it's a two year course would be tough. I'm sure you could, but would you get a better grade in Japanese than French with the same amount of work? I doubt it.

Just my two cents, hopefully you wont need to repeat :) Good luck either way :D

To be honest, yes, I could easily get the same grade in Japanese as in French; probably better, as they don't expect you to know nearly as much in it. Given a choice between doing a language I love and have been doing in my own time already, and one I find tedious...I think it would be a waste not to consider switching. Once again, I'm not starting fresh, and in addition, I have the LC book already; everything in it looks very easy. Learning Japanese is something I've been doing with no regard to the LC, so I figure if I do it instead of French this time around, I'd feel a little less like I was in stasis.

Applied Maths I have thought about and may consider, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to do in a year. I missed the JC and a great deal of regular LC Maths, and I have to learn all that mostly from scratch; I'm not sure if I want to take up AM on top of that. In all likelihood, I will be repeating; that's just how it is, and I'm not going to waste time being miserable or hoping otherwise. For that reason, I want to stick to subjects like Biology, which are mostly just learning, as much as possible; so I'm not sure whether AM would be a good idea. Thanks very much for your input, though; I'll consider it.

Advertisement