Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri the hook

Options
  • 26-06-2014 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know if the route is the same as last year. Website suggests it is but I thought because of national series status the crossover junction between cycle and run would have changed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Same route, with the crossover.

Who's in for this tomorrow? If you see a tall baldy guy in a Tinahely suit, don't try and sprint finish me, but more importantly come up and say hello before/after:)

Lightening can't strike thrice, can it? Let's hope for a full swim. Local webcam here. Weather info here. All looks good. Baginbun is a great, safe, place to swim; have to expect a full 750m this time, they can shorten the run if they like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Same route, with the crossover.

Who's in for this tomorrow? If you see a tall baldy guy in a Tinahely suit, don't try and sprint finish me, but more importantly come up and say hello before/after:)

Lightening can't strike thrice, can it? Let's hope for a full swim. Local webcam here. Weather info here. All looks good. Baginbun is a great, safe, place to swim; have to expect a full 750m this time, they can shorten the run if they like ;)

No kurt - shorten the swim, lenghten the run!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Podge83 wrote: »

Skip the swim, lengthen the cycle, skip the run suits me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You got your wish!;) Was the swim even 550m? A shame, given that conditions were perfect. The defining characteristic of this race is that year after year they manage to feck up their greatest resource. The run and bike course are nothing to write home about, but the seas in this area are magic to swim in. I'm baffled as to why they continually underutilise what should be the best thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ructions

You got your wish!;) Was the swim even 550m? A shame, given that conditions were perfect. The defining characteristic of this race is that year after year they manage to feck up their greatest resource. The run and bike course are nothing to write home about, but the seas in this area are magic to swim in. I'm baffled as to why they continually underutilise what should be the best thing about it.

My garmin said 471 and I don't usually swim in a straight line :) I'm a average swimming at best and it's a real shame they can't get this right. Conditions were perfect so there should be no excuse for this.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, I got my wish.... but as they say be careful what you wish for.

There was absolutely no reason to shorten today's swim - flat water. I'd argue with the first buoy so close to the start that for beginners it was actually a handicap as the first turn was probably made tougher and tighter by its closeness to the start.

Now this race was National series today and i'm pointing out my gripes:

1) Short swim with absolutely no reason in a flat smooth bay - the organizers of NS races must do better than "ah sure over there somewhere" - that'll do. Laziness led to a shortened swim. Very well put by Kurt - what a lovely place to swim - the shortness of the swim is mind boggling!
    2) Prizes - merging categories not in the spirit of NS races. My main gripe with this is that this policy should be made clear before the start - this wouldn't be an issue or deciding factor for me whether to participate or not, but surely the list should be publicized before the race - would this not be easy to do?.
    3) Not a mention in the prize giving about the regional championship that it was supposed to be!
    4) Security - none at the end in transition. Especially with the transition being remote from the finish this isn't good enough. If a few gougers realized this they would have been off with some nice booty. It would be so easy - put on a bit of gear (god knows they wear enough sh1t tracksuits), walk in and away!!!
    5) No markers on the run - is this not a basic easy thing to do?
    6) Crossover of run and cycle - although it was marshalled well, surely this is an accident waiting to happen as it is blind for both runners and cyclists.
    7) Drafting - wasn't marshalled well.
    8) The Roads aren't great - I wouldn't slate the organizers for this though - they put on a race and the roads are up to the County Council.

Positives:
    1) Transition gave you plenty of space and was well neutralized.
    2) Although the roads weren't great traffic was quiet unless you were unlucky to be caught by a farmers tractor.
    3) Lovely swim - such a shame it was so short.
    4) Good overall spirit about the place

Other than that I had a decent outing today, and after the disaster last week that was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Shame about the swim alright. Beautiful bay for it. I would imagine the short swim wasn't intentional.

The area has the potential for a good race. Road surface not great but not a lot can be done about that. However, as said above, transition not secure at all. Not sure what the benefit is of finishing in the town when we ended up in a field anyway. Good atmosphere about the race overall but lots of things about this need improving to be of a national series standard imho.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Did they acknowledge the short swim?

Did they acknowledge the short swim?

No acknowledgement of swim distance - there was no reason to shorten - It seems that this race just has a short swim - they should advertise it as so. It was my first time doing it but every year it is short I believe.

Another gripe of mine that could easily improved is the toilets -2 portaloos in transition and within reach of the start. That's not enough for a NS race.

=Another gripe of mine that could easily improved is the toilets -2 portaloos in transition and within reach of the start. That's not enough for a NS race.

Not enough for any race with 300+ racers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

I'm a really weak swimmer so short course suits me... yet no justification for a NS race
    Road weren't in the best condition, the cycle/run crossing was unnecessary, also finish so far from transition seems a bit odd.
    Will I come back? Probably, the course almost killed me so I want to kill it next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sofacanslow

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    I'm a really weak swimmer so short course suits me... yet no justification for a NS race
    Road weren't in the best condition, the cycle/run crossing was unnecessary, also finish so far from transition seems a bit odd.
    Will I come back? Probably, the course almost killed me so I want to kill it next time!

Agree100% with podge83. Did this last year when it was not ns and expected much more this time with ns and Leinster status but seems nothing changed. Shameful to have such a short swim in a perfect bay with flat calm water. Crazy. Same bike and run crossover where there was a bad accident last year although much better marshalled this time but who wants to have to stop running till they have a gap between bikes to cross the road in a national series race? Crazy. Two portaloos, same as last year, but this time for a sold out ns race! Crazy. And this stingy approach to prizegiving leaves a bad taste. How about dropping the tee shirt for next year and award those who made the podium in their age groups in a national series and provincial championship race. Positives were a good atmosphere, spacious transition, nice location, plenty of friendly marshals. But if a race is given ns status the organisers have got to step up to the plate.

Agree100% with podge83. Did this last year when it was not ns and expected much more this time with ns and Leinster status but seems nothing changed. Shameful to have such a short swim in a perfect bay with flat calm water. Crazy. Same bike and run crossover where there was a bad accident last year although much better marshalled this time but who wants to have to stop running till they have a gap between bikes to cross the road in a national series race? Crazy. Two portaloos, same as last year, but this time for a sold out ns race! Crazy. And this stingy approach to prizegiving leaves a bad taste. How about dropping the tee shirt for next year and award those who made the podium in their age groups in a national series and provincial championship race. Positives were a good atmosphere, spacious transition, nice location, plenty of friendly marshals. But if a race is given ns status the organisers have got to step up to the plate.

If they get NS next year.

Maybe it should stay as the small local race it was?? The approach of the current organizers is that way

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

It beggars belief that races such as this can be awarded the national series. Its seems to be a lucky bag approach to picking races or maybe if it just suits the calender. Some great local races that organize fantastic events are over looked every year

P2C wrote: »
    It beggars belief that races such as this can be awarded the national series. Its seems to be a lucky bag approach to picking races or maybe if it just suits the calender. Some great local races that organize fantastic events are over looked every year

I'm not in the know here by any means but how many sprint distance races in Leinster applied for provincial champs this year? Maybe nobody else did?

Tri The Hook FB page quote:

"Thank you to all our Competitors, Marshals, Sponsors and supporting organisations for a fantastic event. A special Thank you to the Ladies who kindly provided Massages to the Competitors - We will be completing the full age group prizes over the next week or so and will be in contact with the Competitors involved"

Sounds like something was said

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Tri The Hook FB page quote:

"Thank you to all our Competitors, Marshals, Sponsors and supporting organisations for a fantastic event. A special Thank you to the Ladies who kindly provided Massages to the Competitors - We will be completing the full age group prizes over the next week or so and will be in contact with the Competitors involved"

Sounds like something was said
    Its a condition of ns races that they award full ag prizes. I was surprised to hear they hadn't and was curious how they got that past TI.

Oryx wrote: »
    Its a condition of ns races that they award full ag prizes. I was surprised to hear they hadn't and was curious how they got that past TI.

Doubt if we'll see the NS banners there next year

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Anyone do this is 2015? Have they got any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Ns again this year. Same route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

I heard from a few that 2015 was a full-length swim, and supposedly better organisation in general (didn't do it myself).

After the 2014 race I sent them "constructive" criticism, mentioning that sharp bike corners had a lot of gravel and hadn't been swept. Answer- "we rely on the Co Council to maintain the roads and will revert back to them in relation to the sweeping of the gravel". If it was organised by a Tri-club they would have understood the issue.

Still, good luck to them, its up to Tri Clubs in the SE to offer alternatives (and I'm a member of a SE club).

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

I think the 2016 swim was full length, seemed to be anyway, also they did say something last yr about how the council had cleaned the road a bit beforehand. Surface wasn't a problem on the day, both the run and cycle have plenty of smallish hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I done it in 2014, the same as Kurt. I wouldn't be rushing back. Swim was way short, think I clocked it at around 450m. Bike was awful, like Kurt said there was gravel on nearly every corner. Lads standing on the corners with sweeping brushes in hand but no effort to sweep away the gravel. Run course crossed the bike course too, know a few years ago the lead runner was hit by a bike. We had to slow our run to fit between the gaps in cyclists. 3 portaloos for 350 people racing too. I won an entry for last years race and I gave it away, wouldn't be rushing back. Lovely part of the country but not a lovely race.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭086Jazzy

Anybody got a garmin / strava link to the bike /run courses?

Is the bike course TT or road bike?

Lots of queries this morning regarding the weather for Tri the Hook tomorrow. We are hopeful that all will go ahead as planned. The forecast so far is for west - south westerly winds which thankfully Baginbun Bay is quite sheltered from. Obviously in the interest of safety, conditions will be assessed in the morning and a decision will be made in consultation with the Triathlon Ireland officials.

If I was a betting man...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Not doing the tri but just back from baginbun and its as rough as one seen it out at head. The bay is quite calm with just a moderate swell near shore. Nothing to worry strong swimmers but on past history I would be very surprised if swim is ,at best , not cut short.

The swim went ahead today, in a sheltered bay. Just round the corner in Carnivan bay there were huge waves surfing to the beach from a kilometer out. The only issue was they forgot to put out the large turning bouys (left on the beach), so directions were to swim to one kayak, then across to another, then back to the beach. Very hard to sight the right kayaks in the swell, and there was a load who cut the second kayak. (Needless to say there were also safety kayaks dotted along the course that people aimed for...). Still, I was personally happy to finally get a proper distance swim after years of trying, so no complaints from me. No-one drowned either, always a positive :)

Bike was very windy, and very wind-y, and only some of the sharp corners were swept, others had lots of gravel. Didn't see any spill myself, mind.

Good run route which took you along the storm-washed Carnivan, and then backroads to the finish.

I really want to like this race, but there's just so many little things wrong that tell you a Tri club has no input (the first couple of bike racks in trans were numbered, then only sporadic numbers, meaning everyone confused where they should rack. Having said all that, its certainly improved in the few years I've been doing it, and the marshals were on every bend, with good local support along the route and at the finish. I'll be back next year, if only to swim in Baginbun again. Definitely a race on the up.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

A race on the up or down????
    Tbh I don't think it deserves a national series race ...
    Just because of poor organisation .. Forget to put the bouys out ..??? Had no clue where I was after the first Turn .. ..
    Also transition was as loss .. I could have walk out with 10 bikes at the end nobody looking after them and I was in the second or third bus back..
    I really think they are better races that desire NS than this one .
    Struggled with the wind on the bike wrong wheels brought ..

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Oh any idea of who did chip timing looking for results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

My bike was checked on the way out - 2 people were checking. But totally agree on the buoys - conditions were difficult enough without looking for particular kayaks.

Advertisement