Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri the hook

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

I was 2nd wave- the first wave had been counted through, on start line, when someone appeared with two large inflated bouys on the beach. Too late. A lad in Hi-viz was signalling to the kayakers who were in place to come in and get them, but they didn't see him. All the while wave 1 were waiting to go. Didn't see any power boats, so taking the bouys out would have taken a lot of time. Guess they just decided to go for it. Yes, it made sighting very difficult- I was undercutting the 2nd kayak before realising my mistake, and swimming out and around him (swam "over" a few others and pointed, they followed and went on the right course). Plenty just undercut and went in to the finish.

Is it a race on the up? Yes, based on what I saw in 2012 and 2014 (that'll tell you the nonsense that went on then).

Does it deserve NS? No, but I'd say TI are looking at what clubs from the SSE are willing to put on NS races, and they are lacking offers.

(Agree with Dilbert, my bike/number was checked on exit. It wasn't previous years)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Bike was checked for me on exit too.

I was also wave two, and went around the second kayak, but a big group in that wave didn't. Doesn't matter to end of pack fodder like me, but I guess could potentially feck up some age groups. Heard (unconfirmed) reports in the bus back to transition that the second kayak capsized during wave three!?

To be honest, as a slow but generally confident open swimmer, I didn't feel like there was enough boats in the water for the conditions. Particularly compared to some other races I've done that were in much more benign weather which had more kayaks.

I'm on a road bike, and found the bike fine tbh, and enjoyed the run.

Haven't been doing it long enough to give more of judgement, but I'm not sure I'll be back (despite being happy enough with my times for everything bar my transitions actually!)

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Anyone get results ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

noc231073 wrote: »
    Anyone get results ??

Nope and have checked several timing companies' websites and saw no mention.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    To be honest, as a slow but generally confident open swimmer, I didn't feel like there was enough boats in the water for the conditions. Particularly compared to some other races I've done that were in much more benign weather which had more kayaks.

Totally agree. I'd opted for a white hat (weaker swimmer) - got an awful calf cramp between turns 1 & 2 so I flipped over and put my fist in the air. Nobody came near me. Tried swimming. Flipped over again, fist in air and again nobody came near me. Ended up waiting for it to pass and making my own way in. Very poor form though - I could have been in real trouble.

Edit: Red tag did the timing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

By far the worst bike course in Ireland. Dangerous turns and awful road.

No idea how that can be counted as national series race , the swim wasn't the same for all three waves or even for any wave , kayaks constantly moving. Complete farce. Bikes been taken as people where still coming in off the bike. Lack of marshals on points of the run.

Should never get national series again.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Nope and have checked several timing companies' websites and saw no mention.

Yep can't find anything

By far the worst bike course in Ireland. Dangerous turns and awful road.

No idea how that can be counted as national series race , the swim wasn't the same for all three waves or even for any wave , kayaks constantly moving. Complete farce. Bikes been taken as people where still coming in off the bike. Lack of marshals on points of the run.

Should never get national series again.

I have a tendency to agree people collecting bikes where right in the middle of the way of people still racing

Kurt_Godel wrote:
    (the first couple of bike racks in trans were numbered, then only sporadic numbers, meaning everyone confused where they should rack.
    Whether it's true or not, a marshal told us they were numbered last night and the stickers blew off. Stayed down there last night, and given some of the gusts and squalls, that is believable.

Facebook saying we'll get a text of (I assume) a link to the results.

noc231073 wrote: »
    I have a tendency to agree people collecting bikes where right in the middle of the way of people still racing

Presumably these were relay cyclists - were there many?

Edit: looks like 12 teams

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Results are a total jokeshop. My overall time is way off to what was recorded on my watch!

The basis towards wave 1 and wave 2+3 swim times is just ridiculous ...

TI will have to do something here surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

Results are a total jokeshop. My overall time is way off to what was recorded on my watch!

Yep times are way off. I was standing at the finish line for 7 or 8 minutes waiting on my wife but results say she finished 5 minutes before me. It's my first tri so I'm not fussed but it must be pretty annoying for the proper triathletes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Did you try opening it in pdf format.I opened xls on my phone but varied ( with some crazy results) to the pdf version which seems correct. I knew 6 people doing it and pdf would seem to tally.

Yeah my results seem to match my watch
    But Defo a lot of cutting went on in the swim

Did you try opening it in pdf format.I opened xls on my phone but varied ( with some crazy results) to the pdf version which seems correct. I knew 6 people doing it and pdf would seem to tally.

I'm disappointed. I didn't get any faster when I switched to PDF. Same mediocre times.

foxer3640 wrote: »
    Yep times are way off. I was standing at the finish line for 7 or 8 minutes waiting on my wife but results say she finished 5 minutes before me. It's my first tri so I'm not fussed but it must be pretty annoying for the proper triathletes

Did she not start at least 10 mins after you? So she's got a different start time?

I came 20th overall fastest swim between waves 1&2, not an unexpected position given tough seas. Made sure to swim around both correct kayaks too. Sure there are some fast times in Wave 2 that I'd suspect are down to undercutting, but there's nothing TI can do about this now, if they weren't pinged on the day.

Wave 3 looks very fast- probably due to a disappearing kayak!- but male and female are essentially different races (as regards NS points), so I doubt anything will be done about this either.

If you swam around both kayaks then fair play to you for doing so (ditto everyone else who did so too). It's not fair that others cut corners in a NS race, but I think they will have an overall limited impact on overall NS points.

Personally I'm just glad the swim went ahead in rough sea's, not something we often get to do in TI races.

My results pretty much match my watch overall (within the a couple of seconds), and time doesn't change between xls and PDF.

I was at the back of the wave 2 swim and was passed by several yellow hats after turn 1. But while I was going around the 2nd yellow kayak, they weren't.

• Advertisement

I was at the back of the wave 2 swim and was passed by several yellow hats after turn 1. But while I was going around the 2nd yellow kayak, they weren't.

Same here I was at the back of wave 2 also. The guy in the 2nd kayak was struggling to stay upright at that stage but you could still see him. My first triathlon and did no swim training so was glad just to finish the swim tbh

Did she not start at least 10 mins after you? So she's got a different start time?

The times don't compare to my garmin times at all. Doesn't really matter tbh I was just trying to finish it

In light of previous comments regarding prizes, credit where it is due- I got a very unexpected 3rd in AG prize (€15 voucher for AK) in the post today.

Advertisement