Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Realistic goals for 32 year old novice

• 26-06-2014 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭

Quick question for you guys. I am 32 years of age and have been fluting around with weights on and off (more off than on if I am honest) for the past 2ish years. Started up with training after giving up the smokes, but have never stuck with it long enough to make real progress. I have decided now that I am going to give this a proper go now with getting stronger being my primary focus. What I want to know is what would be realistic goals for me to set for myself considering that I have passed the prime growth period of my mid 20's. I am willing to put in the work and I have a good setup at home now with a newly built shed,power rack and 180kg of weights. I currently do wendler 5/3/1 at 5 in the morning 4 mornings a week because this is the only time I have in the day with full time work and 2 young kids and 8I also really enjoy this programme which i feel will help me stick with a plan fer an extended period of time,t but I feel that it is time to really focus my efforts on some real goals. Something's that really piqued my interest was something that kevpants mentioned in his log about the 6/6/6 challenge which is 600lb pull and squat and 6 minute mile,this sounds awesome but also slightly beyond what may be possible for me at this stage. I follow the logs of the likes of Hanley, COH,kevpants, Rob Burke,podge and pawel and am really inspired by these guys but seeing as they have all been trying for so long feel that maybe their success may also be unattainable.
    My current stats are
    160 DL
    120 SQ
    95 BP
    6 foot and about 106kg of gooey flubadub.
    Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Base your goals on what you think is realistic for you based on how your training is going and how you're currently progressing.

Don't worry about your age or how long you've been training. Just concentrate on getting the lifts right and your program right and take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Base your goals on what you think is realistic for you based on how your training is going and how you're currently progressing.

Don't worry about your age or how long you've been training. Just concentrate on getting the lifts right and your program right and take it from there.

Thanks Alf, I find it hard to judge myself because I have been constantly chopping and changing over the past 2 years and as such haven't made much progress. I have just started back on 5/3/1 because I really like the programme but this time I plan on sticking with it until I have squeezed every last bit out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

johnybean wrote: »
    Thanks Alf, I find it hard to judge myself because I have been constantly chopping and changing over the past 2 years and as such haven't made much progress. I have just started back on 5/3/1 because I really like the programme but this time I plan on sticking with it until I have squeezed every last bit out of it.

If you go through a few cycles of Wendler and you start to plateau, might be worth considering going for a session or two with a good trainer who can assess where you've at and put together a program for you.

If you go through a few cycles of Wensley and you start to plateau, might be worth considering going for a session or two with a good trainer who can assess where you've at and put together a program for you.
    Cheers again Alf, that sounds like a plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

If you worry about realism, you'll sell yourself short every time. If you're really willing to put in the work, you'll exceed what you thought was realistic time and again. Set your goals and make them happen.

• Advertisement

If you worry about realism, you'll sell yourself short every time. If you're really willing to put in the work, you'll exceed what you thought was realistic time and again. Set your goals and make them happen.
    Really good point. Guess I have fallen into the trap that most wannabes fall into and started comparing myself and measuring myself against the elite lifters of the world instead of just lifting the dam weights as hard and as long as you can. I suppose we should take these elite lifters and YouTube "celebrity" lifters as inspiration more than aspiration ☺

Advertisement