Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confused by something on alibaba

Options
  • 26-06-2014 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Has anyone got experience of using Alibaba?
    When quoting their FOB price, I'm confused by what the supplier means by 'set/sets'. Or the quantity might be a minimum of 1 'set'. Is there a certain value to a 'set'?
    For example, I found a supplier in england for a particular product, the FOB quote is £5575 per 'set'. Of course the individual product wouldn't be worth that amount of money.
    I'm sure regular users of alibaba will be familiar with seeing FOB quotes starting at $8000-$10000 for I don't know, spiders wellies or something for china. I just don't want to start off a possible relationship with suppliers by asking stupid questions.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

suevic wrote: »
    Has anyone got experience of using Alibaba?
    When quoting their FOB price, I'm confused by what the supplier means by 'set/sets'. Or the quantity might be a minimum of 1 'set'. Is there a certain value to a 'set'?
    For example, I found a supplier in england for a particular product, the FOB quote is £5575 per 'set'. Of course the individual product wouldn't be worth that amount of money.
    I'm sure regular users of alibaba will be familiar with seeing FOB quotes starting at $8000-$10000 for I don't know, spiders wellies or something for china. I just don't want to start off a possible relationship with suppliers by asking stupid questions.

Example

Items per Carton: 1 Sets/Carton

When i was buying 1 set could have contained 10 Carton. So Min of 10 Sets was 100 Cartons.

Or For Larger Products 1 set was just 1 items. Confirm with Seller. And in the past i have contacted the seller to inquire to order less then the minimum and have always be allowed. No question is stupid, If unsure ask!.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

I havent any dealings on Alibaba but to clairfy the terms might help.

FOB means Freight on Board, basically that you collect from their warehouse using a logistics / courier company. Often chinese companies will add a charge on after the deal for export paperwork. Around a $100, without this its hard to import at customs. Beware of using a freight company you've never heard of as often they will recommend a company in order to get a kick back and then handling charges start kicking in and you end up paying twice. I've made that mistake once and it cost a lot.

I'd always hold back a portion of the payment until goods arrive and pass quality control, otherwise the defect rate might be high.

Also if its a custom / unique product make sure you have agreements signed off over the design. We'd had factories producing and then demanding we buy their over production or else they will sell our products to our competition. Hint: Its not a court case you want.

Advertisement