Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple occupancy - any rules?

Options
  • 26-06-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

In the UK they brought in rules governing the maximum number of (unrelated) people resident in a rental to prevent 'hot boxing' - are there similar rules in Ireland?

I've seen ads recently for house shares where nine people are sharing a three bedroom house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

on_my_oe wrote: »
    In the UK they brought in rules governing the maximum number of (unrelated) people resident in a rental to prevent 'hot boxing' - are there similar rules in Ireland?

I've seen ads recently for house shares where nine people are sharing a three bedroom house.
    They have similar rules in the US except that was to stop brothels. It'd never work in Ireland, were all related...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The PRTB register lists the number of bedspaces..I've never seen more than two per bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine there are some public health / fire safety rules that will kick in at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

What is 'hot-boxing'?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Basically lets say a certain nationallity come over and work mad hours and could have a huge number in the property.

They sleep anywhere from beds, mattress on floor, chairs and even so many there they take shifts where 1 gets out of bed to work while other 1 comes back and into that bed hence hot boxing as it's warm from previous occupier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

That's hot boxing in a nut shell. There were concerns in the UK that certain nationalities were exploiting their compatriots who were meant to be studying English on their visas (and so were limited to 20hrs work per week)... Often other 'friends' were exploiting them a second time over as waiters on £2 an hr

Either way, I do think there should be maximum occupancy rules here as it is an excessive drain on local services

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Either way, I do think there should be maximum occupancy rules here as it is an excessive drain on local services
    Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Basically lets say a certain nationallity come over and work mad hours and could have a huge number in the property.

They sleep anywhere from beds, mattress on floor, chairs and even so many there they take shifts where 1 gets out of bed to work while other 1 comes back and into that bed hence hot boxing as it's warm from previous occupier.

Certain nationallities? You mean like the Irish in the UK and US?

(I can name a boarding house in Scotland where it happened in the 1980/90s)

Advertisement