Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenmare Bypass

Options
  • 26-06-2014 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭

Anyone any info when it be finished? Was down the weekend and thought it be open, be handy for nipping down to the shopping centre on the way to town before heading on to caherdaniel.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Considering the treacle like rate of progress over the last 3 years I'd say it should be opened by the General election in two years time. This is what happens when you have the Co. Council building things like this themselves.

It's a remarkable bypass. In that it's very rare you'd see traffic congestion in Kenmare these days, except the 15th August, as Super Valu, Lidl and the schools all outside the town centre. It will take what little there is out of the town when places like Macroom and Abbeyfeale, on main roads into Kerry, really could have done with a bypass.

Its not a bypass in the general sense of the word, and could be best described as a link road or shortcut up to the Super Valu, Hospital, Lidl and new Aldi when it is built.

Kenmare Town is like a Y shape in terms of traffic and the new road doesn't' allow you to bypass the centre at all.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/51.8825/-9.5802

An absolute disgrace what money has been wasted on its long drawn out construction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Is there is a phase two planned? well what i heard anyway, which would enable one to drive from lidl and come out near the centra shop on the road that takes you to caherdaniel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tankayalas

I wonder is there a new Aldi shop proposed for Kenmare? Where is it going to be?

• Advertisement

This road finally opened last week and is a welcome boost to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Stinicker wrote: »
    Its not a bypass in the general sense of the word, and could be best described as a link road or shortcut up to the Super Valu, Hospital, Lidl and new Aldi when it is built.

Kenmare Town is like a Y shape in terms of traffic and the new road doesn't' allow you to bypass the centre at all.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/51.8825/-9.5802

An absolute disgrace what money has been wasted on its long drawn out construction.

I wonder who benefited from this "waste of money"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I wonder who benefited from this "waste of money"?

Everything is a waste of money unless it is in Dublin. However large projects like the port tunnel and the Dart overran by 10 times the cost of this. TBH do not know much bout the project

Stinicker wrote: »

Kenmare Town is like a Y shape in terms of traffic and the new road doesn't' allow you to bypass the centre at .

Kenmare was designed by Sir William Petty a map maker with Cromwell army. It was designed in an X with one end longer than they other. Lower end was protected by the river and it's wet land. The other end was situated on the high ground and overlooked what wouldhave been marshy ground downto the bay where the bridge is now. Behind the X was protected by the river and the bay. This left the area around the Kilgarven road as the area an attack was most likely from. From locals I talked to this still seem to be the area that the biggest threat of attack and danger enimates from. It seems that some of this is dissipated in hurling matches ever now and again

Advertisement