Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Woman and Football

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I thought this was a thread in general about women complaining about lads watching football and other sport.

I mean, give us some credit. We're watching the biggest sporting spectacle in the world, featuring some of the best players in the world, and containing some genuine shocks and surprises and drama (Costa Rica topping group, Spain knocked out already). A tournament that comes around once every four years. Of course, we're gonna get about immersed in it all.

It sure as hell beats spending the winter watching the "talent" on X-Factor and Strictly Come Dancing, or constantly proclaiming how gorgeous Tommy Bowe or one of the Kearney's are during EVERY SINGLE Ireland match*.

*admittedly that may be stereotyping all women.

I thought this was a thread in general about women complaining about lads watching football and other sport.

Then you realised it wasn't but couldn't help yourself anyway!
    admittedly that may be stereotyping all women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was with my girlfriend a month when the LoI season started back and made sure she was aware....

vrq1li.jpg

A picture speaks a 1,000 words

She's accustomed to it now so asks me what day Shels are playing and if I'm going (for the away matches), so far for the World Cup she made sure we went out to somewhere that had the England/Italy match on last Saturday and is making sure we go to somewhere tomorrow for 9 for food that has Colombia -v- Uruguay on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Everyone needs a hobby or passtime, something they have a passion for.

If YOU are your other half's passtime (it does happen, a lot - you know, those people with no real hobbies or interests beyond their relationship), then you can say bye bye to having any hobbies of your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ah here.

Never be with a partner who makes you choose.

Never be in a relationship where you've to ask permission.

Never be in a relationship where you are "not allowed" to do things.

Never ever be with someone who doesn't understand that the World Cup is the most exciting thing to happen in the life of a football fan, only surpassed by the Euros if Ireland are there, and doesn't happen very often.

MARRY ME :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Giving me hassle because all I do is "watch football on TV and go to watch football around Ireland when Dundalk play".
    She is after saying "No World Cup tomorrow night, we can go for food"
    I explained Dundalk were playing in Derry, Id be gone at half 3 and not back till half 12/1 tomorrow night...

She went mental, saying your going to have to choose someday, me or the football

I was like this before we got together and told her I would never change and she said she didnt care.

If it comes down to a choice, she got no chance!

Sounds a bit like my parents. They ended up divorced, btw.
    MacBizzle wrote: »
    Maybe she just doesn't like men? :p

Really? That old chestnut?
    Call her bluff, look her in the eye and say ''I've decided, I choose football. Take care.''

Walk away like a boss.

Yes, all that equality in relationships - it's just not on...
    If it has tits or tires, it's gonna be trouble
    WOOF.

Women Out Of Football.

Hmm. Perhaps you're right. It does come across as very homoerotic sometimes, wouldn't want a woman coming between the lads at play...
    No. No I didn't. Too busy with the burd to notice.

Burd is a district in southern Mongolia.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Everyone needs a hobby or passtime, something they have a passion for.

If YOU are your other half's passtime (it does happen, a lot - you know, those people with no real hobbies or interests beyond their relationship), then you can say bye bye to having any hobbies of your own.

That's more like it. Room to breathe, to give and take and if it means keeping the relationship healthy - room to compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Reading this and I'm wondering why the hell I let a guy stop me going to matches last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Giving me hassle because all I do is "watch football on TV and go to watch football around Ireland when Dundalk play".
    I explained Dundalk were playing in Derry, Id be gone at half 3 and not back till half 12/1 tomorrow night...

She went mental, saying your going to have to choose someday, me or the football

I was like this before we got together and told her I would never change and she said she didnt care.

Broke up with the ex as she kept saying I only traveled back to Dundalk to see Dundalk play not to see her. She said if I loved her as much as Dundalk it would be an easy choice. Knew at that point it was the end. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

doncarlos wrote: »
    Broke up with the ex as she kept saying I only traveled back to Dundalk to see Dundalk play not to see her. She said if I loved her as much as Dundalk it would be an easy choice. Knew at that point it was the end. :p

My girlfriend left me because of my obsession with Dundalk and football in general. It was s shame we'd been together for over 7 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Jaysus how can ye love Dundalk?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Dump her OP. She doesn't deserve you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Are you playing? If the answer is no, well then its not much of a choice is it?

Any man who would pick watching football over their girlfriend doesn't deserve one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Are you playing? If the answer is no, well then its not much of a choice is it?

Any man who would pick watching football over their girlfriend doesn't deserve one.

Spoken as someone who isn't a LOI fan. When you follow your own local club all over Ireland, it becomes a part of your soul. The people you meet, the fun you have, and the pure joy/despair at every kick of the ball, there is nothing that compares.

I lost my team 2 years ago and its a void that can't be filled.

When I did have a team, I only went out with guys who were LOI fans too coz I knew they understood my commitment and that every second week I would be on a bus or driving a car to somewhere on this island to cheer on my beloved Mons.

I am not as much a fan of watching football on tv but I do watch Liverpool and have only missed about 2 games of the WC so far but I would never ever make a man choose, coz if someone had made me choose I would always choose football.

Boyfriends come and go but football is a life long addiction.

Oh just remembered you are a Dungdalk fan so I have a question.....how on earth did you get a girlfriend? :pac::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

See OP, I don't think its actually football she is against or you having a hobby or interest in it.
    Its your priorities that are the problem.
    Is it ok for people in relationships to have other pursuits/hobbies outside of what you do together as a couple?
    Absolutely, and healthy too.
    When it becomes "I'm out watching the game with the lads in the pub/their house/club/other county" several times per week and watching it at home a couple a more times per week.......then it becomes an issue.

If the shoe were on the other foot, would you appreciate it?
    If she was unavailable to you a huge proportion of the week, week in week out?
    How would it feel if you felt like just a "back up" or "side line" to her hobby?
    If football is your thing, great. Enjoy it and all that comes with it. Life is short.

But ffs don't be p1ssed off at a woman who wants to spend more time with you!!!
    If football is genuinely that important to you, break up with her and do your own thing. It will do you both a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

My girlfriend left me because of my obsession with Dundalk and football in general. It was s shame we'd been together for over 7 seasons.

I'm a Cork City supporter but my wife puts up with my liking of Cork city and football.
    Anyway, we have visited some really interesting countries in european games. Serbia being one and Iceland for the splendour of the scenery.

Iceland was so fantastic we went back the following year for a two week holiday. An experience of a lifetime.

Dont mention football in the Sokker forum they wont have a clue what you are on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

More importantly, what sort of sammich did she make you for the bus trip??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Don't be silly you don't bring sandwiches on a trip to football. All LOI grounds have Michelin star worthy food stalls and you would only absorb too much alcohol with bread. Rooky.

Advertisement