Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Providing rent book

Options
  • 27-06-2014 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi guys,

An awkward tenant has requested a rent book even though everything is paid through the bank. I read on citizens information that I am obligated to provide this.

I was wondering is a simple email to say you have paid enough for this or what is the best way around it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fondu

Sorry just after reading the prtb website and it says "provide your tenant with a rent book(if no written lease is in place) and receipt of payment."

What exactly does this mean.
    They have signed a contract and all payments are made by bank transfer so everything can be tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If there's a lease then you're not obliged to sign a rent book. However it does allow you to keep an eye on your property by going round there to sign it. You could agree with the tenant about signing it every quarter rather than monthly maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

just sign it and update it the odd time when you are there...even every 6 months or whatever. They are entitled to it by law. but I wouldnt be going to hassle of updateing it every month in person. At end of the day as long as you keep accurate bank records, you can show if the money came in or not. and if they have proper records, the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

just sign it and update it the odd time when you are there...even every 6 months or whatever. They are entitled to it by law. but I wouldnt be going to hassle of updateing it every month in person. At end of the day as long as you keep accurate bank records, you can show if the money came in or not. and if they have proper records, the same
    A "rent book" in its physical form is not required by law if a written lease contains all the required details. Usually a lease has a separate Schedule stating that the lease conforms with the Rent Boom Act.
    Therefore, a written lease must contain the following information as set out in the Act:
    • The address of the flat or house
    • Your landlord's name and address and the landlord's agent (if any)
    • Your name
    • The date the tenancy started
    • The length of the tenancy
    • The amount of deposit paid
    • The amount of rent
    • How it is to be paid
    • When the rent is to be paid
    • Details of any other payments for services, e.g., for heating or cable television
    • A statement on the basic rights and duties of landlords and tenants
    • A list of furnishings and appliances supplied by the landlord.
    If the rent is paid in cash, it is better for the tenant to have a rent book, duly completed by the landlord upon every payment However, where the lease provides for the rent to be paid in cash, the tenant should get a receipt for the cash paid, stating the amount, for which rental period, and the date. It should be signed by the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm guessing that you can pick up a rent book in Easons for a euro or two.

And then every month, either you can calll by and get the chance to look at the property - or tell the tenant to come and see you at a place of your choice, a few days after their bank transaction has gone through.

Really, as problems go, this isn't one. Get the book and keep 'em happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Some pub lawyer has obviously been talking to them would be my guess.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

ZENER wrote: »
    Some pub lawyer has obviously been talking to them would be my guess.

Ken

Agreed while I can appreciate the need for a rent book in some cases, if a proper lease is in place, with bank transfers, then the tenant has all the proof they need that a. the rent is paid. b. that they are living there as a legitimate tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fondu

The tenants have already been difficult to deal with, even though work is being done to fix the issue she has reported. I don't want to get into all the awkward things the tenant has brought up however this is just more hassle for me. I would prefer not to give them a rent book as it just means more hassle for me more than anything.

I would just prefer to call to the house if any problems arise. Generally something will happen during the course of a year so I can look at the place then rather than using this rent book.

A contract was given to them through an agent and has been signed by them.Is this not enough as everything can be recorded through their bank statements and my bank statements anyway.

Fondu wrote: »
    The tenants have already been difficult to deal with, even though work is being done to fix the issue she has reported. I don't want to get into all the awkward things the tenant has brought up however this is just more hassle for me. I would prefer not to give them a rent book as it just means more hassle for me more than anything.

I would just prefer to call to the house if any problems arise. Generally something will happen during the course of a year so I can look at the place then rather than using this rent book.

A contract was given to them through an agent and has been signed by them.Is this not enough as everything can be recorded through their bank statements and my bank statements anyway.

Have you read your lease agreement?
    Was it signed by both parties?
    Does it have a clause or schedule which states something like this:
    That the information required under the Housing (Rent Books) Regulations 1993 made under the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992 is set out in the Second Schedule and that this Agreement constitutes the Rent Book for the purposes of these regulations.

Failure to include such a clause or Schedule/Annexe (and the inclusion of the details required) would not comply with the rent book Act and therefore a Rent Book would be required.

odds_on wrote: »
    Have you read your lease agreement?
    Was it signed by both parties?
    Does it have a clause or schedule which states something like this:
    That the information required under the Housing (Rent Books) Regulations 1993 made under the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992 is set out in the Second Schedule and that this Agreement constitutes the Rent Book for the purposes of these regulations.

Failure to include such a clause or Schedule/Annexe (and the inclusion of the details required) would not comply with the rent book Act and therefore a Rent Book would be required.

Sounds word for word like what is in my lease

• Advertisement

Sounds word for word like what is in my lease
    Then no rent book is required. The tenants have confirmed, by signing the contract that the lease agreement acts as their rent book.

odds_on wrote: »
    Then no rent book is required. The tenants have confirmed, by signing the contract that the lease agreement acts as their rent book.

Agreed. I like the fact I don't have to see the landlord unless, I want to see him.
    I have only had to call him once.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Sorry to dig up an old(ish) thread but I have a question that I cannot for the life of me find the answer to. When a tenancy has ended, who keeps hold of the rent book? Landlord or tenant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Bradz213 wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up an old(ish) thread but I have a question that I cannot for the life of me find the answer to. When a tenancy has ended, who keeps hold of the rent book? Landlord or tenant?
    Tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Thanks very much. I thought so. Landlord was demanding it back but I refused to give it. They docked me €50 from deposit so I will take matter further. I just wanted to get as much of my deposit back as possible

Advertisement