Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st year medicine optional?

Options
  • 27-06-2014 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I've done 2 years of veterinary abroad but decided the lifestyle isn't for me after-all. I got a good hpat result and I'm considering returning to do medicine in UCD. I had a look at the modules and I've covered most of the topics so i'm presuming after 2 years of a medicine related degree I'd be entitled to skip first year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

yeah you'd probably be able to skip premed, and go straight into the 5 year course, you'd have to contact them for a proper answer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I know someone who did first year in NUIG and under no circumstances were they allowed skip the first year in UCD. I have no idea if its different if you are already in UCD but I wouldn't make any assumptions as Medicine seems overly strict on this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kmul

Just wondering why is the lifestyle not for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ciaraofcourse

Yea you should be able to skip pre-med. Pre-med isn't really any medicine just chemistry & biology stuff. I know people who skipped pre-med based on having done one year of Science so I'm sure 2 years of vet would be adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Yea you should be able to skip pre-med. Pre-med isn't really any medicine just chemistry & biology stuff. I know people who skipped pre-med based on having done one year of Science so I'm sure 2 years of vet would be adequate.

I know someone who did a year of Science in Trinity and a year of Medicine in another college, and still had to start at year one. I believe its because no two colleges are standardised in terms of what you learn and when. So you might do a whole loads of anatomy in year one somewhere and none in another college until year two. So its impossible to be on the same page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ciaraofcourse

Well perhaps they take other things into account, perhaps results also have a bearing but I definitely know multiple people who've taken this route, even between different colleges(including Trinity). Just to stress I'm talking about skipping pre-med, so you would still have a 5 year course ahead of you. Pre-med doesn't even cover anatomy or anything medical as such, it's more the grounding in science you need before going into real medicine. So it's no big deal to skip it. Sure in NUIG (not in UCD though) you can apply to skip pre-med if you've done 3 science subjects for the Leaving Cert!!

Advertisement