Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site transfer and stamp duty clarification?

Options
  • 27-06-2014 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi there,
    as this is my very 1st post, I'm Matt, hello to everyone.

Now to the point,
    Me and my girlfriend are planning to self-build, her dad owns some land, quite a bit to be honest, and he offered us a site to use.
    My question is, where do I start, I mean transferring the site wise...
    How do I go about that? Is there a place I can apply? Form to fill? Do I need to get some kind of surveyor? Someone who will value the site?
    The other thing is, I know the stamp duty is 1% for the first €1,000,000 of the value of the site. But is there any relief for a transfer between a father and a daughter?
    According to:
    www(dot)revenue(dot)ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/reliefs-exemptions.html

Section 83B SDCA Certain family transfers - Exemption from stamp duty on certain
    transfers of farmland

Section 97A SDCA Transfer of property between co-habitants

But I'm not sure how to understand this.

Thanks, Matt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My understanding (and this could be totally wrong, someone else will know more) is that your girlfriends father can transfer the site to her name, but if he transfers it into both your names, you will be liable for capital gains tax. I know a parent can gift a child an asset up to a certain value without incurring this. If the site is only in your girlfriends name, This might affect your ability to get a mortgage to build a house on a site you don't own.
    You probably need to contact a solicitor and ask for definite advice.

But sorry- I don't know about the stamp duty!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Best to just contact a solicitor.

Advertisement