Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first DLSR - Lense Q for canon70d

• 27-06-2014 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

First DSLR. Thinking of buying Canon 70D body + a nifty fifty (50mm f/1.8).
    I had a go in a shop with this lense and really liked it, and can see from online it’s a really versatile lense for portraits and decent (goo.gl/reJZyb)

Question is..... will this small lense be enough for the first couple of months before getting a standard walkaround lense with some zoom, or am I limiting myself too much with just the 50mm?

I realise i may be spending too much on the bosy and not concentrating on the glass but I want to eventually have both a good lense and good camera, so didnt want to start by gettin an older body. (+ love the featurs of the 70D)

I just don’t want to spend the money right now getting both lenses.

Opinions on best route?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Tell me tho if I am being completely stupid getting that good a body with that basic a lense, or if I’m really limiting myself without having at least a kit lense (18-55mm)

I think my plan is anyway to pick up an 18-135mm version of the kit (or better if adverts has a good deal) lense whenever I see a good deal online a few months after getting the body + 50mm.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I'm not expert by any means but have a crop body and a 50mm 1.8 so can say this:

-Yes they do say, marry your glass, date your body. But I can see where you're coming from wanting both a good body and then investing in glass as you go.
    -The 50mm 1.8 is OK and will tick you over for a few months, but keep in mind that 50mm on a crop is 80mm or so (50mm X 1.6 crop) so it can be very tight more like a tele.
    -Dont expect to be able to do group shots etc
    -Shooting indoors you'll find yourself backing up into walls and might not be able to get back far enough from your subject
    -I've taken some nice pics with the 50mm 1.8, if anything it has tought me alot about the 1.8 aperture and focal planes.
    -At the end of the day it's your money, but as you said you will be wanting more glass
    -It's a cheap lens and it wont do you wrong, put it this way, you'll only learn from it.

My advice - shoot wide open at 1.8 and learn how 1.8 gives you a very narrow area of focus, rather than f2 or f8 etc - should keep you busy for a few months.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭dantastic

The 50mm is pretty long on a crop body.

That having been said, just go for it!
    Limiting yourself is sometimes good. Makes you think a lot more about what you are doing. It's great for learning.
    The 50/1.8 is really good and for the money there is no reason not to have one. So even with a standard zoom you should still get a nifty-fifty :)

It will deffo carry you for a few months. And with the experience from using a fixed prime you will be better at using your zoom lens when you get one.

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    I'm not expert by any means but have a crop body and a 50mm 1.8 so can say this:

-Yes they do say, marry your glass, date your body.

Thanks for the Thorough reply!
    I’m marrying this body. And signing a pre-nup! :P there’s no way I’ll ever spend this much again on a camera hence why I’m splashing out to get a high-end one that will last years and years.
    I’ve a feeling I’d be more into the closer single subject shots and bokeh-ish close-ups so I guess I’ll be OK without scope for group shots for now.
    I’m completely new to it so just wanted validation that the pairing I’m thinking of initially isn't bonkers and too limiting. (like having such a great camera and being stuck to only a few types of shots with no zoom) I’ve a proper photographer friend who can advise me/lend me lenses to try down the line.

dantastic Thanks for reply!
    I loved the "just go for it" in particular haha...helps me with my hesitation spending so much.

Just with what ou mention:
    dantastic wrote: »
    The 50mm is pretty long on a crop body.
    So even with a standard zoom you should still get a nifty-fifty :)

I wont have a standard zoom. I'll only have the 70D and the 50mm for the first few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭b318isp

It all depends what you want to shoot. It's all great in theory having a specific lens, but that has to marry up with what you actually want the camera for.

The 50mm lens is great, but limited. I have one, but rarely use it. I mainly use either a 24-70mm or 17-40mm.

I strongly recommending saving money on the camera - seriously consider a secondhand 60D, or even a 40D. Then use the funds to pick up a lens that is likely to encourage you to use the camera on a continuous basis. The second generation 18-135mm IS is a reasonably good versatile lens, so not a bad place to start - and you can always pick up a 50mm later.

Nearly all my gear is secondhand, and if you buy wisely, you could have real good gear that you can use regularly, without a ridiculous outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭dantastic

Op, if I was in your shoes I would not hesitate going with the suggested combination.
    Every lens has limits.

Personally my most used lens, the lens I always keep on my camera is a fixed 35mm 1.4 (on a crop body). The second most used lens is a 10-22mm.

I can't even remember the last time I used a medium range zoom lens.

There are very few wrong answers. Unless you have a particular purpose in mind photography is an art so whatever float your boat and makes nice pictures. The latter doesn't even matter that much if you're having fun. But that's my opinion - it will differ massively from someone elses (And they'd be right too!) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Also OP just to add, yeah it's only 100 odd euro for one of these lens so go for it.
    It will help you decide what type of photography you'd like to get into down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

The 50 is a great lens but as already said, it's a bit tight on a crop frame body. Personally I started out with the 18-55 IS kit lens which was pretty decent starting out, I then got the 50 and soon after picked up a Canon 18-200mm IS second hand, and I have to say that it lived on the camera for a few years before I really got busy with buying expensive glass. That lens had the close and zoom range all in one and was pretty sharp throughout apart from a little softness at the end of the zoom range.

Anyone I've recommended it to swears by them.

Camera arrives today, went with the 50mm f1.8 to start off.

Will definatly spend some time learning on that but i'm a fiend for adverts and keeping an eye out for bargains, so I've been researching what to keep an eye out for as the ideal "walk around"/"all rounder" lense for the Canon 70D

Originally I loved the 24-105L i saw and used on a friends camera but the 70D is a 1.6Crop so from some research, the sigma 17-50 might just be the best lense? Would you guys agree? It seems to be designed just for cropped frame cameras and all reviews seem to be it's brilliantly sharp and up there with best in class for something like the 70D.

Thoughts?

(sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

corvus4906 wrote: »
    Camera arrives today, went with the 50mm f1.8 to start off.

Will definatly spend some time learning on that but i'm a fiend for adverts and keeping an eye out for bargains, so I've been researching what to keep an eye out for as the ideal "walk around"/"all rounder" lense for the Canon 70D

Originally I loved the 24-105L i saw and used on a friends camera but the 70D is a 1.6Crop so from some research, the sigma 17-50 might just be the best lense? Would you guys agree? It seems to be designed just for cropped frame cameras and all reviews seem to be it's brilliantly sharp and up there with best in class for something like the 70D.

Thoughts?

(sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM)

Ive not used that particular lens but I have used the Canon L 17-40 lens and its great on both crop and full frame sensors.

One thing that was said to me a few years back when I started buying lenses, is to future proof your investments. Ie. to buy all lenses that will fit crop and full frame bodies, because at some point in the future you very well might decide to get a full frame body.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Logie-1

I’m marrying this body. And signing a pre-nup! there’s no way I’ll ever spend this much again on a camera hence why I’m splashing out to get a high-end one that will last years and years-

Stop kidding yourself:) Hands up who has said this before:)

Good luck with your new investment, and lets see some results soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Logie-1

Ive not used that particular lens but I have used the Canon L 17-40 lens and its great on both crop and full frame sensors.

One thing that was said to me a few years back when I started buying lenses, is to future proof your investments. Ie. to buy all lenses that will fit crop and full frame bodies, because at some point in the future you very well might decide to get a full frame body.

Sorry for hijacking op,

I know that some full frame cameras (Nikon d610) allow you to use crop lens, but will crop cameras allow you to use full frame lens. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am going to upgrade to a full frame at the end of the year but in the meantime I would like to buy a micro lens.

Logie-1 Yep crop cameras allow you to use full frame lens.
    gotta be careful tho using some crop designed lenses on full frame cameras as sometimes they can break mirror/rear glass on lense as the fit is just too close and the shutter hits off the back of lense.

FYI....I've decided to go for the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM (or the Canon 17-55 if it comes up cheap somewhere)

so.....now I'm torn between 2 lenses now for my Canon 70D (APS-Crop factor 1.6x)

I was initially looking at the Sigma 17-50 mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM
    (Crop factor of the 70D would bring it up to 27-80mm)
    Review: goo.gl/bGPjyu

Now i'm just thinkin maybe i will want the but more range. So I see the Sigma 17-70 mm f/2.8-4.0 DC Macro OS HSM
    (Crop factor of the 70D would bring it up to 27-112mm)
    Review: goo.gl/BvcxzR

The trade off:
    17-50 = constant aperture of 2.8
    17-70 = effectively 32mm higher range on the crop sensor but aperture isnt constant.

Would like some opinions if I should stick with my original 17-50 as the constant f/2.8 will make the image quality brilliant, or the 15-70 would be better choice. I know it comes down to what photos you like to take, but i'm relatively new to this so just want it to be an all rounder for holidays/events and hobby photography.

so.....now I'm torn between 2 lenses now for my Canon 70D (APS-Crop factor 1.6x)

What sort of photos are you going to shoot mostly? Use this to decide. Do you need the Dof/speed of f2.8 or do you need a bit more reach?

You already have fast glass in the nifty fifty...

I have a 17-40f4 which is great for landscape and city shots...
    I use a 24-70F2.8 for stage and general purpose shots...

the reason i want another lense is that with the nifty fifty i am really noticing the range is too high so that's why i'm thinking the 17mm.

Ideally i'd love something 17mm - 70mm as with the crop factor it would be a handy 27mm -112mm. (would then be similar range to the canon 24-105 which i really like on a Full frame)

This is why im wondering is the 17-70 worth picking over the 17-50.... but i do really want sharp good pics so should i just go for 17-50 for general holiday/ events?

This is why im wondering is the 17-70 worth picking over the 17-50.... but i do really want sharp good pics so should i just go for 17-50 for general holiday/ events?

Then I'd go with the 17-70 and learn how to use it well to give you the best results - how to use low ISO, set exposure , utilise tripods/monopods/supports, use mirror lock-up, optimise post processing & sharpening processes and shoot RAW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

A Canon 17-55 EF S lens is a great "work horse" and as "cheap as chips" 2nd hand. There usually a good number for sale in any of the local shops, or on Adverts.ie or Donedeal.

I have a 70D for over 6 months and I use a Tamron SP AF 17- 50mm f/2.8 Di II VC LD on most occasions. My 50mm 1.4 is gathering dust since getting the Tamy.

i got a good deal on a Canon15-85mm f/3.5-5.6... not the f/2.8 i was originally looking for on the 17-50 or f/2.8-4 on the 17-70.... love the range of the 15-85 so i figure it would be ideal starting out. I've a nifty fifty sure if i need anything for low light!

choosing a lens is hard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement