Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biking Heart Rate -v- Running heart rate

Options
  • 27-06-2014 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Hopping to get some advice. I used to dabble in triathlon about 5 years ago but left it for just running due to limited time during the day and evenings for the amount of training I wanted to do.
    I have bad achilles problems at least once a year that requires rest/rehab. My Physio has suggested no running for the next 3-4 weeks and using the turbo trainer to maintain running fitness.
    I usually use heart rate to monitor my training. My LSR is around 150bpm, easy runs around 135bpm, intervals around 170-175 bpm and tempo runs around 160-165bpm. I notice with the bike that the effort required to get my HR to even 150bpm is serious and there is no way I could sustain it for more than a half hour.
    What heart rate intensities would you recommend to replicate running intensities. Is it harder to reach the higher heart rates on the bike? Or is this due to my legs being weak (it was always my weakest discipline in Triathlon).
    Thanks in advance,
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

You really need to do field testing on the bike to find your appropriate zones.

For me I generally see roughly a 10bpm difference (7/8% lower) on the bike for the zones than compared to running.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I would find it much lower, easy spins could be anywhere from 100-115, similiar runs would have me 30bpm higher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Green&Red wrote: »
    I would find it much lower, easy spins could be anywhere from 100-115, similiar runs would have me 30bpm higher

Ha ha, I'm old and slow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Green&Red wrote: »
    Good to hear! I done 15 mins w/u @130bpm, 4x5mins @150bpm with 3 mins recovery and 10 mins @130bpm last night and I was fairly working, whereas on a run I would not be breaking sweat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Zone 2 on bike is 116bpm-127bpm, zone 2 on run is 144bpm-154bpm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

LTHR bike 175
    LTHR run 175

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

It's easier to elevate your heart rate when running due to the gravitational element.

I'd suggest subtracting your age from 180 so that your answer will be your aerobic threshold.

If you are injured you should not go over this threshold and just focus on recovery.

My 2c. :-)

Advertisement