Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teats

Options
  • 27-06-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Baby will be moving to aptimal stage 2 milk in two weeks, we use the normal closer to nature tommee tippee bottles and size 1 teats. I presume I need a bigger teat so should I move straight to size 3 (6months+) or get size 2 (3-6months)? Baby will be 6 months. Thanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Millem wrote: »
    Baby will be moving to aptimal stage 2 milk in two weeks, we use the normal closer to nature tommee tippee bottles and size 1 teats. I presume I need a bigger teat so should I move straight to size 3 (6months+) or get size 2 (3-6months)? Baby will be 6 months. Thanks a million

We didnt change the teats when son took the hungry milk. It comes out of the number 1 tommee tippee just fine. Change to the number 2 when you think he is ready. We never used number 3 teats with him. He takes a sippy cup now and also likes a bottle (number 2 teat) at night. He's 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sligo1 wrote: »
    We didnt change the teats when son took the hungry milk. It comes out of the number 1 tommee tippee just fine. Change to the number 2 when you think he is ready. We never used number 3 teats with him. He takes a sippy cup now and also likes a bottle (number 2 teat) at night. He's 18 months.

That's great thanks! He is not going on hungry milk just the normal stage two. How will I know when he needs size 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

That's great thanks! He is not going on hungry milk just the normal stage two. How will I know when he needs size 2?

When he starts sucking so hard he collapses the teat . Or gets frustrated that he cant get it quick enough. Our 3 month old is a gussler. On stage 3 avent (there from 3 months plus) since 8 weeks. Costing us a small fortune on teats. He is pretty happy at the moment.

Sligo1 I just realised when in tesco hungry milk is number 2, he will be going to number 3 6months +

Sorry only replying now. Mental day! Yea was gonna say the stage 2 is hungry milk and the 3 is the toddler milk. We never gave our boy the number 3. Just went straight to cows milk at 14months. He only took the number 2 before bed and remained on the number 1 during the day till he started cows milk.

You only need the larger flow teats with the comfort formulas or thicker formulas I think or as age appropriate. There was a post here in the last few days regarding teat size. And it said something about changing teats to 2 and 3 as soon as possible. Something about their speech develop or something.... Can't really remember. But our fella never stops chatting and he only ever got 1&2s. I sometimes give him a number 1 teat still when he takes a bottle to slow him down a little and give me 5 minutes to manage to eat something! Lol

• Advertisement

Sorry only replying now. Mental day! Yea was gonna say the stage 2 is hungry milk and the 3 is the toddler milk. We never gave our boy the number 3. Just went straight to cows milk at 14months. He only took the number 2 before bed and remained on the number 1 during the day till he started cows milk.

You only need the larger flow teats with the comfort formulas or thicker formulas I think or as age appropriate. There was a post here in the last few days regarding teat size. And it said something about changing teats to 2 and 3 as soon as possible. Something about their speech develop or something.... Can't really remember. But our fella never stops chatting and he only ever got 1&2s. I sometimes give him a number 1 teat still when he takes a bottle to slow him down a little and give me 5 minutes to manage to eat something! Lol

Ok this is so so weird! Either my eyes or aptimal are playing tricks on me! It is the milk for 6 months. http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=253086548 I could of sworn it was an orangey colour with a number 3? Weird! I thought I had to stop giving number 1 at 6 months, something to do with iron levels?

Ok this is so so weird! Either my eyes or aptimal are playing tricks on me! It is the milk for 6 months. http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=253086548 I could of sworn it was an orangey colour with a number 3? Weird! I thought I had to stop giving number 1 at 6 months, something to do with iron levels?

That's mental Millem! It def says number 2! But I've never seen that when I buy. The purple is the number 2 or hungry milk and the green is the follow on milk which can be given after 6 months. Tbh... Re the iron levels if your fella is taking a good diet with green veg and red meat etc his iron levels will be fine. I think I've heard the toddler milk is just full of sugars. So we just kept ours on the number 1 during day. Number 2 before he went to bed. He never got the toddler milk before progressing to cows milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You don't have to move onto follow on milk, the first one is fine as long as baby eating a varied diet. Follow on milks are a marketing ploy since the formula companies are not allowed to advertise the first stage milks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

January wrote: »
    You don't have to move onto follow on milk, the first one is fine as long as baby eating a varied diet. Follow on milks are a marketing ploy since the formula companies are not allowed to advertise the first stage milks.

Yep, this is what I was going to say!

On the other hand, my SMA first milk costs €11.99 per tub, whereas I can get the follow-on milk for €7.49 per tub. So I'll definitely be at least trying it to see if it suits him - I know it's no better than the first milk, but I don't see any reason not to switch to it if I can get it cheaper!

That's mental Millem! It def says number 2! But I've never seen that when I buy. The purple is the number 2 or hungry milk and the green is the follow on milk which can be given after 6 months. Tbh... Re the iron levels if your fella is taking a good diet with green veg and red meat etc his iron levels will be fine. I think I've heard the toddler milk is just full of sugars. So we just kept ours on the number 1 during day. Number 2 before he went to bed. He never got the toddler milk before progressing to cows milk.

I think they must of changed packaging and tesco images are old ones! The have another one which is for 1-2 years (I would call this the toddler milk?). http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=263476638
    He has only started his baby rice the other day so it's not varied yet!

• Advertisement

Yep, this is what I was going to say!

On the other hand, my SMA first milk costs €11.99 per tub, whereas I can get the follow-on milk for €7.49 per tub. So I'll definitely be at least trying it to see if it suits him - I know it's no better than the first milk, but I don't see any reason not to switch to it if I can get it cheaper!

Wow where is it €7.49 that is great value the aptimal is €12.69 :(

Wow where is it €7.49 that is great value the aptimal is €12.69 :(

It's a pharmacy in Sligo, I'm there regularly enough to visit my family. Doubt you'd get it that cheap in Dublin. Will be trying him on it over the next few weeks, and if it suits him, I'll be stocking up big time next time I'm home!

It's a pharmacy in Sligo, I'm there regularly enough to visit my family. Doubt you'd get it that cheap in Dublin. Will be trying him on it over the next few weeks, and if it suits him, I'll be stocking up big time next time I'm home!

We only have used aptimal but a couple of months ago toyed with the idea of changing him to organic one "hipp", was afraid to change in the end as he has never had any probs on aptimal! I just like the idea of organic!!

Even uf you cant get it as cheap as chattastrophe the sma red lid is cheaper than yellow any way. So ill be changing to it too . My gussler taking approx 40oz a day at 3 months so even if i only save a euro a tub it will be worth it. Ps i know OT but the new sma tubs are driving me up the wall. The lid is in the way of the little lip you use to even off the scoop. Its so awkward.

Suucee wrote: »
    Even uf you cant get it as cheap as chattastrophe the sma red lid is cheaper than yellow any way. So ill be changing to it too . My gussler taking approx 40oz a day at 3 months so even if i only save a euro a tub it will be worth it. Ps i know OT but the new sma tubs are driving me up the wall. The lid is in the way of the little lip you use to even off the scoop. Its so awkward.

Yes!! And it's a pain in the ass to even get the lid off in the first place ... ffs formula for babies under six months does not need to be child-proofed! The old lid was much handier for doing it one-handed with a baby in the other arm.

Ha i took ages to open it too. When ever OH makes the formula he has it everywhere. And thats with no distractions at all. If i had the time or energy id write SMA an email about it. It really is a pain. And im only on my first one if the new tub. Only Another 9 months of formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Suucee wrote: »
    Ha i took ages to open it too. When ever OH makes the formula he has it everywhere. And thats with no distractions at all. If i had the time or energy id write SMA an email about it. It really is a pain. And im only on my first one if the new tub. Only Another 9 months of formula.

Haha, great minds guys. I emailed sma whinging about it already!

Plus it makes the tins less re-usable. I have been painting them and using them as flower pots, crayon holders and in the tool shed for spanners and screwdrivers. Now you can't get the top of it off cleanly.

The only thing they added was the little holder for the scoop.

pwurple wrote: »
    Haha, great minds guys. I emailed sma whinging about it already!

Plus it makes the tins less re-usable. I have been painting them and using them as flower pots, crayon holders and in the tool shed for spanners and screwdrivers. Now you can't get the top of it off cleanly.

The only thing they added was the little holder for the scoop.

Great that saves me a job so. Yea OH uses them for tools too. I seen some of the older tins in my local Tesco yesterday but I had just bought a tin the day before and was there to get the hungrier (I give baba some hungrier some ordinary) but typically they didn't have the hungrier with the old lid.

Pwurple any reply from them. Im getting so p***ed off with the tin. I got 1 that opens the other way so lid isnt in the way but it is so difficult to open. And my tin of hungrier is the oppisite lid is in the way.
    Had to get OH to open the tin today. Then had formula spilled on the counter too. Just so annoying. Making formula is annoying enough without these stupid tins..

I have just seen on the aptimal website that they are relabelling their milk. Hungry baby won't have a number 2 on it, and the milk from 6+ will have a number 2 on it! Very confusing all together! I bought a box of the new number 2 milk yesterday. Hopefully it will come out of tommee tippee number 1 teats! He is still grand on the number 1s and is 6 months but will but some number 2 teats just to have in case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Wait, there's a correlation between the formula number and the teat number (which obviously would be a smart thing to have)?? This has never occurred to me before :eek: I was always left guessing which teat to use (for our first) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

our lad is using tommee tippee closer to nature bottles too, and at 7 months now he's still on the number 1 teats. He doesn't seem to have any issue with them, so we don't see a reason to change them.

Advertisement