If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung TV problem

Options
  • 27-06-2014 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys. 
    I have a 46" Samsung 6 series TV which is 6 years old and has decided to stop working.
    Unlike the other TV's in my house it wasn't a Richer Sounds purchase having being bought before I knew ye were on Boards. Wont be a mistake I make again.

I'm hoping for advice as much as anything on whether the TV is worth repairing and what the cost might be. Basically it developed a clicking sound when switched on from standby, sounds like is about to turn on but then doesnt and the cycle repeats. After a while it set would eventually turn on but now (after being left plugged out for 4 days) it just makes a slight fizz sound while the red led flashes and it will not turn on at all.
    According to what I have read online it may be the Capacitors need replacing but that is only a guess on my part.

Any help or advice from the Richer Sounds Team would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hey Rafa, sorry to hear that you're having an issue with it.

It sounds like a power supply issue as I've come across similar before.

What's the model number and I'll do a bit of digging to see what I can come up with, but as a first guess I would say that it's possibly worth fixing ?

Let me know and I'll do the leg work to see if we can get you sorted.....anything for a fellow RED !

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

What's the model number and I'll do a bit of digging to see what I can come up with, but as a first guess I would say that it's possibly worth fixing ?

Let me know and I'll do the leg work to see if we can get you sorted.....anything for a fellow RED !

ATB

Dave

Thanks so much Dave.
    The model number is LE 46A656AIF.

My other half has been in touch with Power City about it and they said they would contact Samsung to see if any information is available.
    Waiting to hear back from them but if the TV is crap I will be replacing it with one from you guys.

Thanks again mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭greasepalm

without stepping on peoples toes and power supply issue i believe ireland has a bad record of changing levels,can richer sounds confirm please?

Hi Grease, sorry I'm not terribly sure what you mean by this.

Could you elaborate a little ?

Thanks

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

greasepalm wrote: »
    without stepping on peoples toes and power supply issue i believe ireland has a bad record of changing levels,can richer sounds confirm please?

Many many moons ago we had 220v AC and in more remote areas the voltage could drop to 200v AC

but we been on 240v AC more than twenty years and even the remote areas have stabilised supplies now.

Anyway most power supplies are switched mode and can handle wide variances in both frequency and voltage in comparance to transformer type power supply used in the past

• Advertisement

2 years ago in cabinteely power supply went mad houses got too high a voltage and lights went very bright and burning smell and something blew in local station and knocked the whole area out for days,also some satboxes returned to supplier because of
    power levels again and ireland was mentioned as more problems than any other country.
     that is why i asked if ireland had a greater problem with power supply problems say than uk?
      many thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@greasepalm,

The query about electricity supply standards is way off topic - Please leave this thread for Richersounds to deal with the query raised by the original poster. 

If you wish to raise a discussion about the electricity supply in Ireland, could I suggest that you find a suitable forum elsewhere on Boards  - you could for instance try asking Electric Ireland, who have a forum here (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1349) as this forum is for commercial interraction with Richersounds.

Thanks,

Ritz.

sorry ritz i thought it was on topic with dave mentioning
    " It sounds like a power supply issue as I've come across similar before."

Mod Comment:

Just for clarification and without wanting to speak for Dave, when someone mentions "a power supply issue" in reference to a TV etc, I would take that to mean the power supply component in the TV etc., not the electricity supply provided by the power company. The internals of a TV or other hi-fi equipment rarely (if ever) operate at mains voltage, each piece of equipment has a power supply component which takes the mains voltage and changes it to the different voltages required by the circuit boards etc.

Cheers,

Ritz.

rafared wrote: »

ATB

Dave

Thanks so much Dave.
    The model number is LE 46A656AIF.

My other half has been in touch with Power City about it and they said they would contact Samsung to see if any information is available.
    Waiting to hear back from them but if the TV is crap I will be replacing it with one from you guys.

Thanks again mate.
    Hi Rafa, sorry about the post previously and I can honestly say that we do not have more TV's that go faulty with power issues in the Republic compared to Northern Ireland.

I have spoken to the service guys and they are guessing at around £100 - £150 to have it fixed, assuming that it is a power supply issue (which is an educated guess).

These are only estimates but if it's a power supply issue then it won't be any more than that upper figure.

Hope that helps !

ATB

Dave

Hi Rafa, sorry about the post previously and I can honestly say that we do not have more TV's that go faulty with power issues in the Republic compared to Northern Ireland.

I have spoken to the service guys and they are guessing at around £100 - £150 to have it fixed, assuming that it is a power supply issue (which is an educated guess).

These are only estimates but if it's a power supply issue then it won't be any more than that upper figure.

Hope that helps !

ATB

Dave

Thanks Dave.
    Samsung have arranged collection of the TV to be looked at by a firm in Craigavon. On the phone they reckoned it was a capacitor issue which Samsung are aware is fairly common in a batch of these tvs and are fixing without charge. Could still turn out to be the power supply issue you mentioned though. Hopefully it turns out to be the capacitors and it gets fixed without costing me anything.
    Thanks for your help regardless and should the TV turn out to be scrap I will be back on to you for a new set.

• Advertisement

Just an update for anyone who might have a the same problem with the 6 Series Samsung TV. The problem is blown capacitors and Samsung are aware of the issue and fixing them even if the warranty has expired. They paid for collection, repair and return which is great customer service I think.
    Thanks to Dave for his offer to help.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

rafared wrote: »
    Just an update for anyone who might have a the same problem with the 6 Series Samsung TV. The problem is blown capacitors and Samsung are aware of the issue and fixing them even if the warranty has expired. They paid for collection, repair and return which is great customer service I think.
    Thanks to Dave for his offer to help.
    Hi Rafared.

Good to hear that you got sorted and at no cost to yourself. 
    Its always good to hear of a manufacturer doing things like this to help hold faith in their products which Samsung are very good at.

Awesome Rafa. Glad you got sorted. 

Some manufacturers will do this as a good will thing as they realise that the product that made may have had a design flaw.

Really glad you got sorted and cheers for giving  the other owners a heads up !

ATB

Dave

excellent news and sorry if i offended anyone.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

greasepalm wrote: »
    excellent news and sorry if i offended anyone.
    Hey Greasepalm.

No problem at all :D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.