Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gripe water

Options
  • 27-06-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Does anyone know anywhere in wicklow/carlow that sells gripe water?? The place I normally get it won't have any until next week and it is our lifesaver!! Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

deh983 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anywhere in wicklow/carlow that sells gripe water?? The place I normally get it won't have any until next week and it is our lifesaver!! Thanks in advance

I didn't think you could still get grip water at all! Good luck in your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

i get mine from amazon and use parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

It used to have alcohol in it years ago but not anymore that's why people think it's not available. Did you get sorted with it after?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Yep got sorted thank god. It's been our saviour last few weeks!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I stock up when up the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I buy from expresschemist.co.uk and use parcel motel. I also stock up on calgel and metanium ointment when I place an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Bumping this to see if anyone has seen gripe water in shops/chemists since it's been licenced? I'm looking for some to give to a friend who's due soon as part of a newborn box of tricks. I got one from my sister in law and really appreciated it when the colic kicked in! Preferably around Dublin 15 for convenience but anywhere in Dublin will do. TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Bumping this to see if anyone has seen gripe water in shops/chemists since it's been licenced? I'm looking for some to give to a friend who's due soon as part of a newborn box of tricks. I got one from my sister in law and really appreciated it when the colic kicked in! Preferably around Dublin 15 for convenience but anywhere in Dublin will do. TIA

Agh sorry typer monkey! This thread might be better! http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057309323/1/#post92638664

Ha! no worries Sligo. I'll just leave this one here sure rather then cluttering up the place with my requests! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

My local chemist sells it in d24. It's over 7 quid a bottle though!!

• Advertisement

Really? The robbers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

there's an asian shop on the bottom of shandon street in cork where we got a couple of bottles but they're sold out so we get ours off superdrug website now.

btw, is it ok to mix gripe water with the formula in the bottle??

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

What chemist is that Bovril?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Heading to the north today. Gonna get a few gripe water and calgel. Wind and teething are issues with us atm. Calgel works wonders for her

Pharmacy in celbridge selling gripe water if anyone is looking for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

fall wrote: »
    Pharmacy in celbridge selling gripe water if anyone is looking for it

Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Just to let you all know;

Every outlet (pharmacy or otherwise) that sells Gripe Water in the Republic of Ireland without a prescription is breaking the law.

As is every member of the public that orders it via the internet and has it delivered to any address or location in the Republic of Ireland.

Why?

Gripe Water is not a licensed medicine in this country. It IS a licensed medicine in a neighbouring jurisdiction. A doctor is perfectly entitled to write prescriptions for medicines that are licensed in other countries but not this one if they wish to, and in that situation a pharmacy can obtain supplies from that other country to fill the prescription. However, since it doesn't have a license, then by definition there is no legal document that lays out the circumstances under which it can be supplied without a prescription. That is, the law does not specify that it can be sold from a pharmacy or from a grocery, so therefore it cannot legally be sold.

Similarly, ordering medicines (of any kind) via the internet for delivery in Ireland is illegal. So too is importation of medicines without a license to do so.

Any sign of it being licensed down here? Will send a pm angelldelight.

Every outlet (pharmacy or otherwise) that sells Gripe Water in the Republic of Ireland without a prescription is breaking the law.

As is every member of the public that orders it via the internet and has it delivered to any address or location in the Republic of Ireland.

Why?

Gripe Water is not a licensed medicine in this country. It IS a licensed medicine in a neighbouring jurisdiction. A doctor is perfectly entitled to write prescriptions for medicines that are licensed in other countries but not this one if they wish to, and in that situation a pharmacy can obtain supplies from that other country to fill the prescription. However, since it doesn't have a license, then by definition there is no legal document that lays out the circumstances under which it can be supplied without a prescription. That is, the law does not specify that it can be sold from a pharmacy or from a grocery, so therefore it cannot legally be sold.

Similarly, ordering medicines (of any kind) via the internet for delivery in Ireland is illegal. So too is importation of medicines without a license to do so.

I was at a couple pharmacies in Sligo a couple months ago and saw it being sold there when it hadn't previously been. I queried them on this and the licensing and they told me it had recently (in the past few months) become licensed to sell in Ireland. You and another poster (pharmacist) here have disputed this and I'd be really interested to find out if it is actually licensed or not. There's a specific med website for licensed drugs and gripe does not appear on that. But I don't think this is definitive. Is there another way to find out? I might just ask a few of the pharmacists in work tomorrow.... (They'll probably look at me weirdly tho.... Lol).

Fwiw... Illegal or not... I'm all for gripe water!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Why?

It seems highly unlikely that pharmacists around the country are selling it unlicensed. I've got to assume that the it has been reapproved. Pharmacists wouldn't want to risk prosecution

It seems highly unlikely that pharmacists around the country are selling it unlicensed. I've got to assume that the it has been reapproved. Pharmacists wouldn't want to risk prosecution

That's kinda what I was thinking!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    That's kinda what I was thinking!

Yup. I mean it's not an 'under the counter' thing, I've seen it on display in several pharmacies around the country.

I was at a couple pharmacies in Sligo a couple months ago and saw it being sold there when it hadn't previously been. I queried them on this and the licensing and they told me it had recently (in the past few months) become licensed to sell in Ireland. You and another poster (pharmacist) here have disputed this and I'd be really interested to find out if it is actually licensed or not. There's a specific med website for licensed drugs and gripe does not appear on that. But I don't think this is definitive. Is there another way to find out? I might just ask a few of the pharmacists in work tomorrow.... (They'll probably look at me weirdly tho.... Lol).

http://www.hpra.ie/homepage/medicines/medicines-information/find-a-medicine/results?query=gripe%20water&field=

Yeah, you'd think that, wouldn't you?

This is the exact website I was talking about in my post. Gripe water isn't on it. But this list is not 110% completely definitive or exhaustive is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

This is the exact website I was talking about in my post. Gripe water isn't on it. But this list is not 110% completely definitive or exhaustive is it?

That should be definitive. Obviously allowing for updates once decisions are made, but that should only take a matter of hours/days. It's not so much a list as a database of all licensed products. They are the authority that license drugs so their list should be more accurate than any external list would be.

... But this list is not 110% completely definitive or exhaustive is it?

I can imagine no more "definitive or exhaustive" source on the subject of what is or is not an Authorised product than the very body that awards Authorisations!

I can imagine no more "definitive or exhaustive" source on the subject of what is or is not an Authorised product than the very body that awards Authorisations!

Ok. So I've just had a discussion with a couple of the pharmacists at work. They said, it was "possible" that grope water is not considered a medicine at all as the current ingredients are only sodium bicarbonate and dill water. They said there is nothing on the ingredients that specify it as a medicine as such. And that is a "possible" reason why it is not listed or showing up on that licensing website.

One pharmacist in particular said in her opinion it could be classified as a supplement or food stuff as opposed to a medicine. As the alcohol is not an ingredient anymore this "may" have taken it away from the medicinal licensing remit. And may now be under the licensing remit of food safety as opposed to medicine licensing. Anyway, she is going to consult another senior pharmacist here at work and get back to me.

Again, this is only possibility and opinion. Will update when she gets back to me :).

• Advertisement

I emailed that site and the response is it isn't licensed. If the moderators don't mind I'll post the replies (with identification removed)?

It's mad that it's fairly widely available

Advertisement