Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Duathlon - advice needed

• 27-06-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

A few years ago I started running and going to the gym to lose weight. I lost about 3 stone and really got into running. I was doing 5 miles every day and 10 miles on Saturday. Anyway I went back to college and working the same time so had no time to train and over 2 years put back on all the weight and lost my fitness.

I tried getting back into running but I hate running short distances. It just seems pointless and I don't enjoy it. I've started cycling to and from work (12km each way) and now I'm going to start adding running into the mix so the short distances won't seem so pointless. I train better when I have a goal to work towards too, so I've signed up to do a duathlon in September. It's a 3k run, 20k cycle, 3k run. It's a very doable event I think and would give me some great motivation. This is where my questions come in!

1. Can anyone recommend a good training plan for me to use?
    2. What would be a respectable time for such an event?
    3. Any general advice for me with regard preparation/training?

Really appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What is the shortest distance you run now and what time does it take you.

How long would a 12k cycle take you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I can run 5k in about 35 minutes now but I'm not terribly fit at the moment. I don't usually do less than 5k runs. My PB 5k time was 23 minutes. I can do a 12k cycle now in about 35 minutes too, that's a commute though so a proper 12k with no traffic lights etc and pushing myself I would expect to take about 5 minutes off that.

I can run 5k in about 35 minutes now but I'm not terribly fit at the moment. I don't usually do less than 5k runs. My PB 5k time was 23 minutes. I can do a 12k cycle now in about 35 minutes too, that's a commute though so a proper 12k with no traffic lights etc and pushing myself I would expect to take about 5 minutes off that.

You should have a good idea then what you're capable of.

A respectable time for such ann event becomes the time that you do when you've given yourself the best chance of doing what's a good time for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭adocholiday

You should have a good idea then what you're capable of.

A respectable time for such ann event becomes the time that you do when you've given yourself the best chance of doing what's a good time for you.

I understand where you are coming from but the problem is a 'good' time for me might leave me finishing well behind other competitors :o

I have no problem coming last, I just don't want to be still running when everyone else is halfway home! That's why I'd like to know what a respectable time would be, so that I know whether or not it is an event that I should do

I understand where you are coming from but the problem is a 'good' time for me might leave me finishing well behind other competitors :o

I have no problem coming last, I just don't want to be still running when everyone else is halfway home! That's why I'd like to know what a respectable time would be, so that I know whether or not it is an event that I should do

If there's access to results from previous years, you'll get an indication of where your likely time will fit in overall.

If you take a straight up 10k run, my time would be would be maybe 15 mins slower than the winner but there will be people 15 mins slower as well.

Jusdging by your run times, unless it's a field with no casual entrants and full of people whoenter triathlons or duathlons and train specifically for them, you won't be Paddy Last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 EricS

Hi,
    For your first duathlon the biggest shock will be the bike to run transition.
    Suggestions:
    1. Do a bike followed by a run once/week to get used to the transition. It's a short race so with a little bit of training you will have ample fitness to complete the race.
    2. Do a practice race once or twice before race day with distances that approximate the race.
    3. Work on your run to bike and bike to run transitions. Search Youtube.com for some good transition examples, and practice before race day.

I have training plans available on the right side of Duathlon.com
    Also, look for a new duathlon podcast that should be released by July 15. It will be announced on Duathlon.com and be available in iTunes.
    Good luck!
    Eric

Advertisement