Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about swallows

• 27-06-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Our swallows never returned last spring so this is the second year with no swallows around here. I have noticed the neighbours birds around the shed a few times lately. Could it be the fledglings looking for somewhere to build? The old nests are still there. Would that be stopping them from moveing in?
    Would it be a good idea to knock tho old nests?
    Is it just best to let things as is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They often use old nests if they are in good condition and will dismantle some of the nest and rebuild on them. I'd leave well enough alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

If you don't mind the bird sh1te all over the place then leave the nests alone. I know what i'd be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

hallo dare wrote: »
    If you don't mind the bird sh1te all over the place then leave the nests alone. I know what i'd be doing.

Mod Post: If what you would do involves the interfering, in any way, with bird nests during the breeding season, then I will thank you in advance for not elaborating any further with regards to what you would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

The swallows returned to my shed this year and occupied the old nest. They also built a new one on the next rafter.

Judging by the adult wings on the floor, a feral cat seems to have had one of the adults early on, but both nests seem to be active still... up to recently, that is.

There were 6 swallows doing what looked to be flight training yesterday. High speed line astern towards the entrance hole and then aborting with nothing to spare, all still line astern. Fantastic to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Kess73 wrote: »

Mod Post: If what you would do involves the interfering, in any way, with bird nests during the breeding season, then I will thank you in advance for not elaborating any further with regards to what you would do.

I think you are being very presumptuous in your remark. (and those thanking you)

So much for freedom of speech. Nothing can be said on this site anymore with a "Mod" jumping to all sorts of conclusions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

hallo dare wrote: »
    I think you are being very presumptuous in your remark. (and and your little minions thanking you )

So much for freedom of speech. Nothing can be said on this site anymore with a "Mod" jumping to all sorts of conclusions!

Mod Post: Have a one week break from this forum. Please don't refer to users of this forum as minions if you do decide to come back.

Advertisement