Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil vs Chile 5pm / Sat 28th

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

That Chile side are a credit to themselves, lit up the tournament for me. Gutted there out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Back to the studio for more of Ronnie Whelan's positivity..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Gutted for Chile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Rachel Riley doesn't approve.

rachel-riley-on-countdown.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Brazil just about deserved it IMO.

Really tough on Chile who played brilliantly all World Cup, with attacking positive football.

Gutted for Jara, who actually hit a lovely penalty, just unlucky with the bounce off the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Millimeters of woodwork could just be the inspiration, the reaffirmation that this Brazil side need to go on and win this competition, two kicks of the football, Neymar and Jara might be what fires Brazil on to victory in this World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Glad for La Canarinha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

statesaver wrote: »
    Unlucky Chile.

Peter Collins is ****ing terrible
    Next thing, you'll be telling us that water is wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

So despite the best efforts of Big Phil, Brazil go through. Who knows what tactical masterstrokes he will come up with for the quarter final. Maybe Jo to start ahead of Neymar, with Hulk at left back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Classic Ted next, nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

statesaver wrote: »
    Unlucky Chile.

Peter Collins is ****ing terrible

Sounded like he was on helium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Semis for Brazil. But that's as far as the bandwagon rolls imo. No invention in the middle of pitch.

Hulk would get his place in the 1982 Brazil team :pac:

Id say he'd struggle to get on their homeless football team back then (assuming were basing it on talent first)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Devastated for Chile. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Penalties are a cruel way to decide any game, but hats of to the kid Neymar. He's the only real star on a Brazilian team strangely devoid of their usual stars. He carries the weight of expectation of an entire nation and then puts he penalty away in style. Not an easy thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Why the constant glorification of these so called stars? Neymar was very average.

Penalties are a cruel way to decide any game, but hats of to the kid Neymar. He's the only real star on a Brazilian team strangely devoid of their usual stars. He carries the weight of expectation of an entire nation and then puts he penalty away in style. Not an easy thing to do.

On the basis he is young and carrying the nation then im glad he scored. A tournament without that Brazil side would suffer no loss but a tournament without Neymar (despite his willingness to take a soft tumble or two) would be at a loss because he is a terrific ball player

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Gutted for Chile,Brazil very average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ian Wright's next newspaper column:

"Chilean players who refused to take or missed penalties should call the Chilean miners to explain why"

On the basis he is young and carrying the nation then im glad he scored. A tournament without that Brazil side would suffer no loss but a tournament without Neymar (despite his willingness to take a soft tumble or two) would be at a loss because he is a terrific ball player

Funny i thought the only ball player on the park was Alexis Sanchez.

Decent player Neymar but decent is all thats needed to stand out for the yellow shirts these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Is Liam Brady getting paid to always have the most utterly stupid and completely wrong opinion about EVERYTHING? It was clearly a handball. Brady is such a joke.

What has impressed me about Neymar at this world cup is, he's had a very poor season with Barcelona for a number of reasons. Then the World Cup arrives, he raises his game and carries his country. The fact that this is the worst Brazilian team in history, makes this achievement all the more remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Is Liam Brady getting paid to always have the most utterly stupid and completely wrong opinion about EVERYTHING? It was clearly a handball. Brady is such a joke.

Think he just wanted to get in the line about Webb getting out of the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Brazil deserved it despite all the Chile praise. Chile's attacking style was missing for the bulk of the game today to be honest, they just were quite dogged. Hopefully Colombia can progress in the later match, a good bit more impressive team than Chile IMO. Besides the Spain game, I haven't seen where Chile have lit up this tournament at all if I'm honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

What has impressed me about Neymar at this world cup is, he's had a very poor season with Barcelona for a number of reasons. Then the World Cup arrives, he raises his game and carries his country. The fact that this is the worst Brazilian team in history, makes this achievement all the more remarkable.

Brazil have failed to make the QF before so the present team is not the worst ever. Brazil deserved their victory - created more chances and should have had a pen in the first half.

corny wrote: »
    Funny i thought the only ball player on the park was Alexis Sanchez.

Decent player Neymar but decent is all thats needed to stand out for the yellow shirts these days.

Yeah id agree Sanchez on the other hand was MOTM can consider himself very unlucky in that second half but fact is that game was there for the taking in that second half and his teammates got tired and sloppy. Their ambitions changed for the worse at a vital part of that match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Here's looking forward to the Nertherlands, French or Germans beating Brazil hopefully at least 4-0 nil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Stinicker wrote: »
    Here's looking forward to the Nertherlands, French or Germans beating Brazil hopefully at least 4-0 nil.

C'mon Brazil

Brazil have failed to make the QF before so the present team is not the worst ever. Brazil deserved their victory - created more chances and should have had a pen in the first half.

It looks like you missed my earlier point. This Brazil team does not play the way, Brazil has always been expected to play. No creativity, no imagination, no style. If this team went on to win the World Cup, they would still be regarded as the worst team by lovers of Brazilian football. I have and always will support Brazil as my default nation. But I just can't wait to see the back of a lot of that squad and their manager.

Yeah id agree Sanchez on the other hand was MOTM can consider himself very unlucky in that second half but fact is that game was there for the taking in that second half and his teammates got tired and sloppy. Their ambitions changed for the worse at a vital part of that match.

Don't know if its that straightforward. Getting tired is hardly something you can fault a player on. The Chileans simply didn't have the legs to get up and down the pitch all day and seen as they were coughing up good chances to the Brazilians when caught out of position it was only prudent to not go gung ho looking for the win. They'd have been more likely to concede than score had they gone after the Brazilians when they were tired.

Point still stands about Neymar though. Took a decent penalty and was reinvented as a saviour by RTE. When his team really needed him in the 2 hours of football prior he was anonymous. I suspect his contribution will be even less should the Brazilians play a technically superior side like the Germans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

Stinicker wrote: »

Or Colombia even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Haven't read much before but am I the only one that thinks that first goal for Brazil was an own goal? ... I can't even see Luiz touching the ball at all...

Heres a link to the goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wzADySwfIo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Decent game the best team won. Hulk was decent despite what you would read here. It's a poor Brazil team but they had more about them than chile today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Haven't read much before but am I the only one that thinks that first goal for Brazil was an own goal? ... I can't even see Luiz touching the ball at all...

Heres a link to the goal:

Deffo was an own goal - sideshow bob never touched it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I saw a statistic floating around earlier that stated 19 of 23 teams who have missed first in a World Cup penalty shootout have ended up losing the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Disappointed Chile are gone. Enjoyed watching them, bit of excitement about them. Can't quite believe Brazil are still in it, to be honest. They're such a mediocre side, and like others, I don't see what's so wonderful about Neymar. The kid playing for Colombia is much more impressive, I think. Hope the Colombians beat Brazil. Don't think I can watch Brazil struggle through by the skin of their teeth again. Something sickening about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Gustavo to do a job on Rodruguez, Neymar to get Yepes sent off/make him cry as he burns him for pace and scores.

You heard it hear first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Disappointed Chile are gone but no surprise really, was watching this game in work so could only half watch it, but from what I saw Brazil looked the better team. Were Brazil any better than they were in the group stages? They looked a bit better to me anyway, but I only really tuned in for the last 45 mins and penos, plus I suspect if they were as poor as they were in the group Chile might have put them away.

I was happy to see Fernandinho start ahead of Paulinho, hopefully they keep it that way. I know this Brazil team gets a lot of stick but there is something about them I like, and they are the team I would like to see go on and win it, there must have been an incredible amount of pressure on them when it went to penalties today. Columbia will give them their toughest test yet though.. Could really go either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

kryogen wrote: »
    Gustavo to do a job on Rodruguez, Neymar to get Yepes sent off/make him cry as he burns him for pace and scores.

You heard it hear first!

I'll take the first part of that bet for any money you want to name*

*Gustavo is suspended :D

Seriously, I think Brazil will take care of Colombia. Can't see them winning the whole thing but you never know. In a way I really don't want to see them win it, a competition this good would lose some of its gloss if a 'functional' team were to win it. There are better and more exciting teams left in the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Chile two chances to win the game were from the only two times they got a combination of passes together for Cesar's save and to hit the bar. You'd wonder how a team better at keeping possession or composure upfront would've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Disappointed Chile are gone but no surprise really, was watching this game in work so could only half watch it, but from what I saw Brazil looked the better team. Were Brazil any better than they were in the group stages? They looked a bit better to me anyway, but I only really tuned in for the last 45 mins and penos, plus I suspect if they were as poor as they were in the group Chile might have put them away.

I was happy to see Fernandinho start ahead of Paulinho, hopefully they keep it that way. I know this Brazil team gets a lot of stick but there is something about them I like, and they are the team I would like to see go on and win it, there must have been an incredible amount of pressure on them when it went to penalties today. Columbia will give them their toughest test yet though.. Could really go either way.

Much better than the first two group games that I saw them in. Fernandinho was the difference all right.

They still had the better of the play after Fernandinho went off, but Chile were spent at that stage. I think if it had been Paulinho playing like in the groups, Brazil wouldn't have had so much control and Chile would have done enough to win it early.

Advertisement