Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colombia vs Uruguay 9pm/Sat 28th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Columbia look good but I wouldn't get as carried away as a lot on here, they came through an easy group and beat a very average Uruguay side. Good going forward but look suspect at the back at times. Should be a cracking game against Brazil.

Four wins from four speaks for itself though. They look high on confidence and are a very attack minded team.....if I was a Brazilian, I would be very worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Somebody make Eamon stop :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Dunphy getting snotty with Bill there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dunphy continues to embarrass himself more and more, onto Neymar now. Looks like he's found his new Ronaldo.

If Colombia don't best Brazil in the quarters, I'll be hoping for Neymar to score a hat tricm

Aaaaaand now he goes on a rant about the 2002/6 Brazil teams. And can't name more than 4 or 5 players for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im after a bottle and half of wine and i can see a fellow drunk, now lets go to our senior analylist :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Corholio wrote: »
    I'm not fully convinced on them being very solid. They were a bit lucky against Ivory Coast and even tonight against a poor enough Uruguay team, they gave up a few decent chances.

Will be a good game though. Will be interesting to see Brazil's starting lineup.

What I like about them is that they keep going forward no matter what. The match against Japan was a dead rubber and yet they pressed them hard throughout, winning 4-1 in the end. They are certainly going to test Brazil's defence to the maximum (though they do occasionally leak a goal at the back).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

I genuinely think he is drunk, no messing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

jodaw wrote: »
    Colombia have always brought great colour and fun to the World Cup. Some of my earliest world cup memories are of that header Rene Higuita.

Always worth a look at this !

Actually I have to say fair play to Giles, who has continually put Dunphy back in his box tonight.

Also, Ronaldo was built almost identical to Neymar at 21/22 years of age. So more bullsh*t.

And more pettiness. Why are we paying for this joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He brown nosed it in the end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Bring back valdarama.

egghead. wrote: »
    I genuinely think he is drunk, no messing.

Have to agree. A disgrace to our whole country would be an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Billy86 wrote: »
    Actually I have to say fair play to Giles, who has continually put Dunphy back in his box tonight.

Also, Ronaldo was built almost identical to Neymar at 21/22 years of age. So more bullsh*t.

Ronaldo was bigger at that age, Neymar is a toothpick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I agree with your point and Dunphy was talking nonsense, but Ronaldo certainly had a stronger physique at that age. But a stronger physique wouldn't suit Neymar's game anyway I dont think.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Ronaldo was bigger at that age, Neymar is a toothpick.

At 22? I dont think so.

Neymar has a surprising amount of muscle, contrary to the ****e said on RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Never ceases to amaze me how people still react so much to the panel.

They truly do their job better then any other crew out there.

Even lads who hate them tune in to give out about what they say, genius, ratings heroes.

Dempsey wrote: »
    At 22? I dont think so.

Neymar has a surprising amount of muscle

He was actually, you forgetting maybe that Ronaldo was 22 in 2007

cristiano-ronaldo-body-manchester-united-2007-2008-picture.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

At 22? I dont think so.

He was huge back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

At 22? I dont think so.

Another pic

01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

kryogen wrote: »

I'm always certain he was talking about Brazilian Ronaldo. It came off a conversation about the 2002 team. Open to correction though.

Regardless of which Ronaldo he was talking about, I'd agree that Neymar doesn't have the same upper body strength. But to say he's not a top player because of that...insane.

I'm always certain he was talking about Brazilian Ronaldo. It came off a conversation about the 2002 team. Open to correction though.

Regardless of which Ronaldo he was talking about, I'd agree that Neymar doesn't have the same upper body strength. But to say he's not a top player because of that...insane.

Can't say, wasn't watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He was talking about Brazilian Ronaldo, but both Ronaldo's had a bigger upper body at that age no doubt.

Not that it matters cos the point Dunphy making was nonsense.

kryogen wrote: »

I wasnt saying Ronaldo wasnt bulked but Neymar isnt a toothpick

tumblr_m40id8Ghi71r90e96o1_500.jpg

Comparing Neymar to the best athlete in the game was a strawman by Dunphy is my point

Remember that Ronaldo is 6'2", Neymar is 5'9"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Is this the hotties thread? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Best site to see world cup highlights? Not 101greatgoals... so slow and ads, links etc everywhere

Anything better lads?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Are we talking about the gay pride march again, lads? ;)

Corholio wrote: »
    I agree with your point and Dunphy was talking nonsense, but Ronaldo certainly had a stronger physique at that age. But a stronger physique wouldn't suit Neymar's game anyway I dont think.
    Maybe at 22, he did bulk up a lot from about 22 to 25 years, but this is taken in 06/07, so he would have been either 21 or recently turned 22 (in February):

cristiano-ronaldo-body-manchester-united-2006-2007-picture-photo3.jpg

article-2564636-1BB311B500000578-934_634x573.jpg

And as mentioned, he is one of the best pure athletes the game has ever seen. Neymars game resembles Ronaldinho a bit more, wonder why Dunphy didnt compare those two, or Messi? Well actually, I dont, is agenda is as clear as it is pathetic.

Are we talking about the gay pride march again, lads? ;)
    Uncomfortable much? :p

G'wan Columbia!!

Hope they win it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

oaub.jpg

James Rodriguez! Happy Pride!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I wasnt saying Ronaldo wasnt bulked but Neymar isnt a toothpick

Remember that Ronaldo is 6'2", Neymar is 5'9"

He looks like a complete toothpick there, he's got a low bodyfat percentage no doubt but looks to have no lats and little to no delts in that picture. Football isn't a bodybuilding contest but he's a very weedy player and the fact he's 5'9" makes it much more visible, at least a 6'2" guy with the same BMI will be a good 40lbs heavier. He'll have to bulk up if he wants to make it injury free in the long term imo.

He looks like a complete toothpick there, he's got a low bodyfat percentage no doubt but looks to have no lats and little to no delts in that picture. Football isn't a bodybuilding contest but he's a very weedy player and the fact he's 5'9" makes it much more visible, at least a 6'2" guy with the same BMI will be a good 40lbs heavier. He'll have to bulk up if he wants to make it injury free in the long term imo.

You must be drunker than Dunphy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

There's no doubt that Neymar is slightly built. But it doesn't hold his game back, he uses his pace and skill brilliantly. If he had any sort of CF to play off at this tournament he could be being talked about as the player of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm sure Neymar has the legs of a horse and that's what's important.

He's an incredible dribbler at pace - something that I don't think Messi or Ronaldo have the same prowess at - Messi uses bursts of pace, control and balance, Ronaldo either uses pace (as much as any player on the planet has) or trickery at walking speed but generally not both simultaneously.

Even with comparisons to Ronaldinho, I don't think they quite fit the bill - Neymar looks quicker but more slightly built.

If he keeps going the way he has so far, he has it in him to carve his own niche and style. I just hope he doesn't go all Adriano and half the other Brazilians from the last 20 years and pack it in at 29 to go on the piss.

You must be drunker than Dunphy

No lats or delts = no V shape = toothpick. Put it this way, if you took away his shoulders there'd be just a straight line from his pelvis to his chest. Having a six pack doesn't take away from this, the fact he's 5'9" only makes it worse, if you were outmuscled by Neymar for the ball you'd have to take a long hard look at yourself. I know his game isn't about outmusceling other players but it's certainly not a harm to have it at your disposal.

No lats or delts = no V shape = toothpick. Put it this way, if you took away his shoulders there'd be just a straight line from his pelvis to his chest. Having a six pack doesn't take away from this, the fact he's 5'9" only makes it worse, if you were outmuscled by Neymar for the ball you'd have to take a long hard look at yourself. I know his game isn't about outmusceling other players but it's certainly not a harm to have it at your disposal.

Armchair sport scientist!

If you think he's a toothpick then you know nothing about football.

If you compare him to Ronaldo then he's obviously not the same bulk but most pro's arent Ronaldo's size.

In short, you are talking out your hoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

James is the second best thing that has ever happend to Colombia, after Shakira.

Armchair sport scientist!

If you think he's a toothpick then you know nothing about football.

If you compare him to Ronaldo then he's obviously not the same bulk but most pro's arent Ronaldo's size.

In short, you are talking out your hoop.

Ok then. Never mentioned Ronaldo. Lats and delts are pretty crucial to overall strength. Sizewise he's a weedy player. Hulk is a big player. Ronaldo is an average player. Does that mean he's a bad player? No.

How exactly am I talking out of my hoop? I simply looked at the picture and said what I saw. But alright fair enough guess I don't know anything about football.

Throwing in some knowledge about the human body doesn't make me an amateur sports scientist.

efb wrote: »
    James is the second best thing that has ever happend to Colombia, after Shakira.
    Sorry, but...

0688_7ed2.jpeg

Colombian women are possibly the sexiest in the world. :)

Ok then. Never mentioned Ronaldo. Lats and delts are pretty crucial to overall strength. Sizewise he's a weedy player. Hulk is a big player. Ronaldo is an average player. Does that mean he's a bad player? No.
    Whatever about the rest of the debate, whether you meant build or ability, just...

• Advertisement

How exactly am I talking out of my hoop? I simply looked at the picture and said what I saw. But alright fair enough guess I don't know anything about football.

Throwing in some knowledge about the human body doesn't make me an amateur sports scientist.

many types of fitness,your critique isnt relevant to football.

In terms of football, Neymar is in physically better condition than 99% of his peers.

As an athlete, ronaldo is superior to Hulk in every way for a footballer.

I'd love for you to go in for a shoulder charge with Neymar, you would lose...

To call him a toothpick is comical

Whatever about the rest of the debate, whether you meant size or ability, just...

He's a great looking guy, but he's not a big guy per se. Wonderful athlete and the perfect size for his position imo. But still not big in the sense that he's an imposing figure. If people want to disagree with me on that one fair enough but that's how I see it.

In terms of football, Neymar is in physically better condition than 99% of his peers.

How can you deny that Neymar is skinny? He is so obviously skinny, even in the photo you posted. "Toothpick" is a fine description of his build. Compared to most top professional footballers at his age he is slight, there's no arguing against that.

Well you don't know my stats, I reckon I'd have Neymar in a shoulder charge and he'd beat the pants off me in a football match. Look I'm not having a go at small players here, they tend to dominate the greatest of all time lists, but Neymar could do with some bulking up, wouldn't do him any harm to bulk up another 7/maybe 10kgs, over the next 2 or 3 seasons. The toothpick comment was based purely on aesthetics, I think he looks like a skinny 14 year old there but if you think he looks like a beast fair enough.

Pro. F wrote: »
    How can you deny that Neymar is skinny? He is so obviously skinny, even in the photo you posted. "Toothpick" is a fine description of his build. Compared to most top professional footballers at his age he is slight, there's no arguing against that.

He's in better physical condition that most pro footballers. Skinny when compared to a 6' 2" player i suppose but you dont have to be bulked to be strong.
    Well you don't know my stats, I reckon I'd have Neymar in a shoulder charge and he'd beat the pants off me in a football match. Look I'm not having a go at small players here, they tend to dominate the greatest of all time lists, but Neymar could do with some bulking up, wouldn't do him any harm to bulk up another 7/maybe 10kgs, over the next 2 or 3 seasons. The toothpick comment was based purely on aesthetics, I think he looks like a skinny 14 year old there but if you think he looks like a beast fair enough.

I think he's very strong for his size, his antics on field often hide this.

Size of a 14 year old?! Absolute nonsense!

He's in better physical condition that most pro footballers. Skinny when compared to a 6' 2" player i suppose but you dont have to be bulked to be strong.

Since when is skinniness a measure of height? He is skinny compared to players of any height.

And even though we could debate whether and how muscle mass is important for strength, there's no need. The thing that you have been arguing is that he is not skinny. He clearly is.

Since when is skinniness a measure of height? He is skinny compared to players of any height.

And even though we could debate whether and how muscle mass is important for strength, there's no need. The thing that you have been arguing is that he is not skinny. He clearly is.

Never said skinniness a measure of height. Bulking is easier when you are naturally bigger

99% of footballer are skinny by your logic

He is not skinny

Never said skinniness a measure of height. Bulking is easier when you are naturally bigger

Bulking up is not easier when you are taller, it's got nothing to do with height. Whether or not it's easy to bulk up depends on what body type you are, not your height.

And this is still irrelevant, because you didn't argue that it's hard for Neymar to bulk up, you argued that he is not skinny.
    99% of footballer are skinny by your logic

He is not skinny

My logic of saying that Neymar is skinnier than most top footballers of that age means that I'm saying that 99% of footballers are skinny? No it doesn't.

Bulking up is not easier when you are taller, it's got nothing to do with height. Whether or not it's easy to bulk up depends on what body type you are, not your height.

And this is still irrelevant, because you didn't argue that it's hard for Neymar to bulk up, you argued that he is not skinny.

My logic of saying that Neymar is skinnier than most top footballers of that age means that I'm saying that 99% of footballers are skinny? No it doesn't.

I called Dunphy on saying Neymar was a toothpick.

Comparisons to Ronaldo ; Easier to look bulked when taller imo

Neymar isnt skinny by any definition

• Advertisement

Neymar isnt skinny by any definition

By ANY definition? Seriously? He's skinny for a football player, why else would people comment on it? Dunphy can be a wally but that was a fair comment.

According to wikipedia, Neymar is 64kgs and Messi is 67kgs while also being 2 inches smaller. Whatever about whether or not having that low a weight is a benefit, the fact remains that Neymar is a skinny man.

Advertisement