Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netherlands vs Mexico 5pm / Sun 29th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

SlickRic wrote: »
    also, the lack of added on time was a joke there.

between the drinks break and the penalty, as well as all the other time there's no way 6 and a half minutes was enough.

time added on has been an issue all tournament.

Time is stopped for the water break isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    No it won't. They were incredibly lucky today IMO.

Lucky how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

DM360 wrote: »
    Jim Beglin is absolutely detestable as a commentator. He can't help but slate the Dutch for everything and anything they do.

Honestly I think Mexico have been deplorable in their behaviour. Obviously Robben was bad for simulation at some points but there were so many fouls on him which were totally ignored. People seem to let the whining, diving, hacking and general cynical behaviour slide when it comes to these underdog teams, but condemn others for doing far less.

The Dutch are no saints. Look what they did to Spain in the opening game...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Time is stopped for the water break isn't it?

Nope, the clock keeps running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Mexico shouldn't have sat back so early on the 1-0 lead. They had Holland rattled.

But they let Holland take over the game for the last half hour and the goals were coming.

Robben really conflicts me as a player though.
    Outstanding talent having an brilliant World Cup but they way he acts the bollox at the slightest touch is sickening.
    He's never punished for simulation either so he can (and does)dive 5-10 times a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

SlickRic wrote: »
    also, the lack of added on time was a joke there.

between the drinks break and the penalty, as well as all the other time there's no way 6 and a half minutes was enough.

time added on has been an issue all tournament.

3 minutes for drink break leaves 3:30. There were only 4 subs in that half I think and the peno. No other incident of note. Seems about right to me, maybe another 30 seconds but nothing to get upset about (not implying you're upset).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Holland have to play the next game at 5 as well, it's a joke really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Mexico did the sum total of **** all after they scored. Deserved to go out even if the pen was soft.

I think RVP must be injured or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭GraphicGaming

Mexico deserved it but i backed holland to win so il take it cheat or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

That's what I suspected in the first half. Once Mexico scored, the Dutch really stepped up their energy levels.

Would you give it a rest. They had to step it up because they were behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Yeah but in this game, he was fouled twice in the box and didnt do his usual back spasm swan dives.

Guess the lesson here is, diving is better than honesty.

Hang on. Haven't you abused the ****e out of Suarez for the same thing and now your saying it's the right thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Decent impact by huntelaar, barely touched the ball when he came on but racked up an assist and a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Robben made the most of the challenge in the box, but suicide from Marques sticking out a leg like that. Pity cos I think Marques has been the best centre half in the tournament to now.

Feel sorry for the Mexicans, they're a grand bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Mr Alan wrote: »
    No it won't. They were incredibly lucky today IMO.

Yeah, right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

God I love the butthurt Robben inspires.

Great, great player who does whatever it takes to win. Maybe when FIFA cop on and introduce retrospective punishment for diving he might rein it in but why bother otherwise? He kept his country in the WC, who cares what a bunch of armchair fans think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The Dutch will still have a blowup in the camp, it's in their nature😉

grenache wrote: »
    Robben made the most of the challenge in the box, but suicide from Marques sticking out a leg like that. Pity cos I think Marques has been the best centre half in the tournament to now.

i agree he is a great player was silly as there was still 3 players in his way i dont think he was going anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bill hating on Robben.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It was a definite peno but 10 out of 10 for the dramatics

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Considering Robben was taken out of it before halftime and no penalty given, it's fair enough..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

urabell wrote: »
    The world's eyes fixed on a seleção, but a great beast awakes from it's slumber in Europe. The Dutch have cast off the shackles of Iberian domination and now have their eyes fixed on the biggest prize of all. The golden generation is over, collapsed under the weight of expectation. But the orange generation is here, and maybe, just maybe, it will run like clockwork.

Bookies hate me, nobody has quite nailed it as conclusively as this since Pontius Pilot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Is contact enough to give a penalty though? Surely there would have to be enough contact to impede the player or trip him up. That was neither if Robben didn't just jump on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Isn't everyone hating on Robben? His an intensely dislikeable individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Surpriser a player like Marquez made that challenge to be honest, Robben took full advantage of it.

Mexico just stopped playing and were made to pay for it. Holland aren't a great team at all but might make it into the final. Mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Never a penalty by the way. It's a contact sport FFS, contact doesn't automatically = foul.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bacchus wrote: »
    3 minutes for drink break leaves 3:30. There were only 4 subs in that half I think and the peno. No other incident of note. Seems about right to me, maybe another 30 seconds but nothing to get upset about (not implying you're upset).

Was the peno incident during added time though? So should have added a couple of minutes onto the time already added?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Arjen flippin' Robben :(

I'm gutted Mexico couldn't hang on, great game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

grenache wrote: »

Reminded me of a young Steven Gerard the way he got such elevation from that static misplaced foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That's shocking. He made minimal contact with Robben's toe. Then again, gvien who is involved, maybe not that shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Adrian Chiles - "Van Huntelaar"

Everything about ITV is detestable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Right - I'm off out to find me a duck for the Costa v Greece game.

Chat later !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ArielAtom wrote: »
    The Dutch will still have a blowup in the camp, it's in their nature😉

As far as I can remember that hasn't happened since Euro 96 but people persist with it.

fearrua wrote: »
    Arjen flippin' Robben :(

I'm gutted Mexico couldn't hang on, great game though.

he is some player really so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Yeah but in this game, he was fouled twice in the box and didnt do his usual back spasm swan dives.

Guess the lesson here is, diving is better than honesty.

What variation of the swan dive did he produce today so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The dutch never panicked. Kept probing the Mexican defence and got rewarded for it the end. Too many in here allowing emotion to cloud their judgment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Robben really is an odious chap .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Robben has the most punchable head in all of world football.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Paully D wrote: »
    Never a penalty by the way. It's a contact sport FFS, contact doesn't automatically = foul.

Stepped on his foot which prevented him from continuing to play the ball. Obviously the swan dive was theatrics but it was enough contact to unfairly dispossess him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Watching that in slow motion in looked like robbens foot was stood on but if it was he wouldnt have been able to launch himself. It appears that the defenders heel was perpendicular to robben and he dived, no contact or obstruction. Im sure angles will come out to confirm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Lapin wrote: »
    Right - I'm off out to find me a duck for the Costa v Greece game.

Chat later !

Make sure it has a fattened upper lip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

dfx- wrote: »
    Considering Robben was taken out of it before halftime and no penalty given, it's fair enough..
    Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because he didn't get a penalty he should have got earlier, doesn't justify giving him a VERY soft penalty later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah it was a peno even though Robben made the most of it. I think some of youse are letting your hate for him cloud your judgement.

The dutch never panicked. Kept probing the Mexican defence and got rewarded for it the end. Too many in here allowing emotion to cloud there judgment.

Dunno, they were lumping balls into the box route one style.

It matters little as they won though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is contact enough to give a penalty though? Surely there would have to be enough contact to impede the player or trip him up. That was neither if Robben didn't just jump on the ground.

For me it was a dive. Yes there was contact but did it impede him? No. He saw he had overplayed the ball and a defender was coming in before him. He then blatantly throws himself down. Players need to be yellow carded and sent off for this stuff.
    The Mexicans didnt defend Robben well though. Numerous times he was allowed to be one on one. Mexicans didnt offer a lot from what I saw in the 2nd half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I think coming from behind like that will have done the Dutch the world of good. Can't see Costa Rica or Greece causing them as much of a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Fescue wrote: »
    Would you give it a rest.They had to step it up because they were behind.

WTF? Who's talking to you? I was replying to another poster. Now take some deep breaths for yourself.

cant see the dutch go much further though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

dfx- wrote: »

What about the kick to the head Herrera got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

WTF? Who's talking to you? I was replying to another poster. Now take some deep breaths for yourself.

lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

blueser wrote: »
    That's shocking. He made minimal contact with Robben's toe. Then again, gvien who is involved, maybe not that shocking.

I though he might have caught Robben trailing right foot as well with his knee/thigh, hard to say for sure from the replay, it was a peno for me if that was the case.

Still a most dislikeable player regardless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement