Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netherlands vs Mexico 5pm / Sun 29th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭GraphicGaming

marco_polo wrote: »
    I though he might have caught Robben right foot as well, hard to say for sure from the replay, it was a peno for me if that was the case.

Still a most dislikeable player regardless.

i agree there was contact but it was what he wanted one thing about robben is that he is always ready to go down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He gets some grief for not playing like Dutch teams of old but the players available are nowhere near as good as players from back then, RVP and Robben the only players who would get into past teams

You play to win and that's what he's doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

cant see the dutch go much further though

Aye, they'll be facing the unstoppable Greece/Costa Rica next..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Lots of faux outrage at Robben's behaviour. Thank god he plays for Bayern Munich. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

DM360 wrote: »
    Stepped on his foot which prevented him from continuing to play the ball. Obvious the swan dive was theatrics but it was enough contact to unfairly dispossess him.

He didn't actually....ITV replay had it. He planted his foot and van robben just vaulted over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Sodeepithurts

cant see the dutch go much further though

What team has been more impressive than the Netherlands so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Expected a bit more from Depay when he came on. Lot of moves broke down when he was in possession and he just didn't look as threatening as he did in the other games. Can't see him starting in the QF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Giles doesn't know what total football is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Is Robben suspended for 1/4 finals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Ugh, that Dutch side is really unlikeable, they probably deserved it but I still wanted Mexico to win.

• Advertisement

@aaronpaul_8: I am still in shock over that win. Mexico didn't even touch you buddy. But that was an oscar worthy performance. Bravo. #WorldCup

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

efb wrote: »
    Is Robben suspended for 1/4 finals?

No.

Aye, they'll be facing the unstoppable Greece/Costa Rica next..

yeah they will beat either of them but i cant see them go beyond anyways there has been a few upsets so far and it depends on the luck of the draw but the likes of germany or argentina will knock them out, i have them backed to go all the way but i cant see it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Sock it to them Gilesy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Paully D wrote: »
    Never a penalty by the way. It's a contact sport FFS, contact doesn't automatically = foul.

Are you sure of the rules?

A Penalty is awarded if a player carelessly Trips or attempts to trip an opponent (in refs opinion).

Was it a careless challenge, I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Giles doesn't know what total football is...

Bizarre rant from Giles there, he doesn't know what Total Football is but he's certain that Holland didn't invent it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Showing the Robben penalty against Arsenal kind backfired on ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

He didn't actually....ITV replay had it. He planted his foot and van robben just vaulted over it.

Marquez planted his right foot on Robben's left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

@aaronpaul_8: I am still in shock over that win. Mexico didn't even touch you buddy. But that was an oscar worthy performance. Bravo. #WorldCup

I don't get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Wonder what time of day their 1/4 final kicks off. They can only keep going to the stamina well every so often before it dries up.

It was a penalty but the defender shouldn't be spoken to for a while, idiocy. Real pity he did it too, Robben was going down no matter what, even kicked his own leg to do it. I would've liked to see him embarrassed rather than rewarded.

Argentina - Holland semi maybe

I don't think they would beat Argentina

I don't get it

Jesse from Breaking bad giving his opinion on twitter about the willingness of Robben to take a tumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think it's an evening kickoff - 21:00 Irish time.

Edit: Just checked - Sat 5 Jul, 21:00 (Quarter-finals) Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Gutted for the Mexicans today, someone will get themselves a bargain with that Ochoa I would say.

• Advertisement

Johnny Giles: 'Total Football never won anything'

Erm, how about Ajax winning those 3 consecutive European Cups in the early 1970s John?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

DM360 wrote: »
    Marquez planted his right foot on Robben's left.

He didnt. He wouldnt have been able to launch himself in the air if a rather large mexican was standing on his foot, which he wasnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Wonder what time of day their 1/4 final kicks off. They can only keep going to the stamina well every so often before it dries up.

It kicks off at 9 pm Irish Time (5 pm in Brazil) in Salvador.

Google says their next game is at 5 again but in Salvador which is slightly warmer 24-25 degrees

Edit colder I mean

Gutted for the Mexicans today, someone will get themselves a bargain with that Ochoa I would say.

he had a good world cup im not a big fan as he is shy to come and collect or clear the ball from corners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It looks like he'll be this World cups "average player who gets ridiculously hyped" and then some team signs him. He's on a free so at least a team won't waste lots of money on a transfer fee, just wages instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Apre match segment was brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I think it's an evening kickoff - 21:00 Irish time.

Edit: Just checked - Sat 5 Jul, 21:00 (Quarter-finals) Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador

That's good news for them. Still impressed by the way they came back in those conditions. Wouldn't want to be doing that too often though.

Edit; it seems they may have to....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Johnny Giles: 'Total Football never won anything'

Erm, how about Ajax winning those 3 consecutive European Cups in the early 1970s John?! :rolleyes:

He was obviously talking about the Dutch national team.

Headshot wrote: »
    Apre match segment was brilliant

I wouldnt think so at this point in Tooimme :pac:

Jesse from Breaking bad giving his opinion on twitter about the willingness of Robben to take a tumble.

Thanks didn't think it needed an explanation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It looks like he'll be this World cups "average player who gets ridiculously hyped" and then some team signs him. He's on a free so at least a team won't waste lots of money on a transfer fee, just wages instead.

He's great at stopping those shots straight at him. Not so hot on corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It was a penalty for me as he stood on Robben's foot but it was definitely a dive as well. As a defender, if you stick you leg out in the box, you need to make contact with the ball otherwise you're asking for trouble. You know what people like Robben are going to do. It was just a tired tackle in the end.

Thanks didn't think it needed an explanation

Id love to see his reaction if Robben was sent off for diving the next game.

"YEAHHHHHH BIATTTCHHH" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Argentina - Holland semi maybe

I don't think they would beat Argentina

It would be basically Holland vs Messi. Think Holland are almost certs for the final now.

• Advertisement

Id love to see his reaction if Robben was sent off for diving the next game.

"YEAHHHHHH BIATTTCHHH" :D

Tight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It would be basically Holland vs Messi. Think Holland are almost certs for the final now.

Don't know how you can make that out. If Greece get through they will frustrate the Jesus out of them never mind Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Delighted with the Holland win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Robben really made the most of that, not a penalty. That flailing mass of limbs should have gotten a yellow. He is always at it.

Feel bad for Mexico, could and should have held on but were wasteful with the ball despite some nice touches and play in the Dutch half towards the end. Mexican GK was very good but not a lot he could have done for the Dutch equaliser.

I really expected the Dutch to win by two goals at least, it was a subdued performance expect for Robben. Perhaps the Sun and heat contributed to that.

And so the "tactical masterclass" that is Team Oranje and Van Gaal roll on.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Robben really made the most of that, not a penalty. That flailing mass of limbs should have gotten a yellow. He is always at it.

Feel bad for Mexico, could and should have held on but were wasteful with the ball despite some nice touches and play in the Dutch half towards the end. Mexican GK was very good but not a lot he could have done for the Dutch equaliser.

I really expected the Dutch to win by two goals at least, it was a subdued performance expect for Robben. Perhaps the Sun and heat contributed to that.

And so the "tactical masterclass" that is Team Oranje and Van Gaal roll on.

He caught his foot though, it was a penalty, whatever Robben did after the foul is irrelevant, he could of started to act out the final scene of Macbeth but it still would have been a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

He caught his foot though, it was a penalty, whatever Robben did after the foul is irrelevant, he could of started to act out the final scene of Macbeth but it still would have been a penalty.

Having seen the Vine of the incident I think it was a penalty. Just. Doesn't mean we shouldn't give Robben a bit of stick for the theatrics though.

Kudos to LVG who is doing wonders with what I believe is a really ordinary Dutch team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Dutch showed great heart but they got lucky in the end. I'm a big fan of Rafael Marquez but he was terrible in that game. He could have given away two other penalties.

Some people are criticising Robben for diving but he took the foul and got the penalty. He could have went down earlier but hurdled the reckless challenge and ended up not getting off a great shot. He was fouled in the first half too and by two players in one tackle in the box. Marquez was the aggressor in all those situations I mention. It wasn't his day.

The player that stood out to me in that game was Dirk Kuyt. Playing out of position(nothing new for the man) he did a great job and worked tirelessly for the cause. The man has gotten a lot of flack from people over the years but he never quits and always works extremely hard. He has played up front, as a wide forward, and a wide midfielder all on the right side and tonight he done a wonderful job as a left wing back and then as a right wing back when Depay came on. Man of the match for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yup, he has been one of the stars (mostly due to his performance vs Brazil) but unless he's one of those keepers who blossoms late in their career, it a case of an average player punching above his weight in the 4 weeks that are the World Cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Seems a lot of people want the game played to a moral code and are not so keen on the actual laws of the game.

Robben is a diver, still a penalty though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Can you remember this next time you have a go at Suarez. Don't want to make this into a liverpool thing but there is a few utd supporters here that have made nothing of what robben did but call Suarez every name they can think of for much less.

Advertisement