Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Costa Rica vs Greece 9pm / Sun 29th

• 27-06-2014 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Fourth match of the second round is Costa Rica taking on Greece at 9pm on Sunday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

One of them to win on penos

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's all about Greece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Winner receives a brand new economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Its the one ive been waiting for...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hopefully see an early Costa Rica goal and we'll see the game open up, otherwise I'm sure the Greeks will be happy to close this out with a solid defence and hope to catch them on the counter.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Game of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Game of the tournament.

I have a feeling this will surprise everyone and be a fantastic game, though after my Sneijder shout earlier that means it will be a drab 0-0 for sure. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

That_Guy wrote: »
    Winner receives a brand new economy.

If only we had qualified. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Hopefully see an early Costa Rica goal and we'll see the game open up, otherwise I'm sure the Greeks will be happy to close this out with a solid defence and hope to catch them on the counter.

God it could be the worst game if Greece get one early... Then sit back and defend....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

This will rival Iran v Nigeria for worst game in the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

All aboard Team Greece!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Mmmmmm Mrs Crinklewood thinks we are watching a musical at 2100..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Going to be at work so going to miss the festival of football, hoping Greece can grind out another win. 3-2 to Greece my unrealistic prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I think the Costa Rican party ends tonight. Hope not though.

Greece v Holland may not be the most open of games should it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

#CRC LINE-UP: Navas, Gonzalez, Umana, Borges, Duarte, Bolanos, Campbell, Ruiz (c), Diaz, Gamboa, Tejeda

#GRE LINE-UP: Karnezis, Maniatis, Manolas, Samaras, Karagounis (c), Salpingidis, Torosidis, Lazaros, Sokratis, Cholevas, Samaris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well you can't just back off this Costa Rica as they have shown they can score from distance. It will be interesting to see what Greece do to stop them in this one.

I like to see underdogs doing well at the World Cup but we have two of them in this one. I hope Costa Rica do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Actually don't think Greece are as good defensively as people are making them out to be. Just because they sit back against a lot of teams doesn't mean that they're a solid unit. I felt that in the game vs Japan they were fortunate that Japan decided to stick with the tactic that clearly wasn't working and just playing right into their hands. Will be surprised if Costa Rica don't create a few openings tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

vidor wrote: »
    Actually don't think Greece are as good defensively as people are making them out to be. Just because they sit back against a lot of teams doesn't mean that they're a solid unit. I felt that in the game vs Japan they were fortunate that Japan decided to stick with the tactic that clearly wasn't working and just playing right into their hands. Will be surprised if Costa Rica don't create a few openings tonight.
    That was after they were reduced to ten men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

retalivity wrote: »
    Its the one ive been waiting for...

Why are people expecting a poor game here?

Costa Rica have been very impressive so far and it's a World Cup knockout game, no doubt there'll be some drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are people expecting a poor game here?

Costa Rica have been very impressive so far and it's a World Cup knockout game, no doubt there'll be some drama.

Probably because Greece are involved. As said above, this game will probably need an early goal for Costa Rica.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

C'mon Greece?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Come on Costa Rica.

come on ye faithful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Even though I don't like how Greece play I think this is a great gesture by the players, especially after what happened with Ghana and Cameroon.
    Greece’s surprising request after turning down World Cup bonus

Whether it be their surprising Euro 2004 success a decade ago or their dramatic qualification from this year’s World Cup group stages, Greece tend to be a team of feelgood moments.

Their latest warming turn of events comes courtesy of a Greek report which suggests the squad have politely turned down a bonus from their Prime Minister, Antonis Samaras, for reaching the knockout phase for the first time in the famous tournament’s history.

Instead, they requested that the cash be used to build a brand-spanking new training centre for the national side so that they can continue to provide better results for their country.

A very brief letter read, according to NewsBomb.gr:

"We do not want extra bonus, or money. We only play for Greece and its people.

“All we want is for you to support our effort to find a land and create a sports center that will house our national team ".

Compare and contrast this to Cameroon threatening not to show up in Brazil at all prior to the World Cup kicking off over bonus rows.

Then, earlier this week, 3 million dollars had to be shipped out to Brazil so that Ghana would see through their third and final group stage match against Portugal.

That alone says a great deal about the importance of integrity and national spirit, even in a sport as high-profile and rabidly-competitive as football

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-rio-report/greece-surprising-request-turning-down-world-cup-bonus-133423113.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I really hope Costa Rica stuff Greece. A Netherlands v Greece Qtr final could be grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

3-2 Greece
    But I want Costa Rica to win

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

ronnie very good with the greece pronunciations :)

Going all in with Costa Rica.

€10 on them to win in 90 minutes. 13/8. Not great odds but fúck it. Free bet so why not?

Also €2.50 on a Costa Rica 2-0 win @ 9/1

Here's hoping I say goodbye to moderately priced Ribena's and move on to the premium lager shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Schwiiing wrote: »
    This will rival Iran v Nigeria for worst game in the tournament.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'll even bother watching it... Greece are dreadful.. For the sake of the World Cup and football, I hope they home tonight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mmmmmm Mrs Crinklewood thinks we are watching a musical at 2100..

You need to hit her with the best argument known to footballing man:- "But sure it's only on once every four years, it'll be another 1,460 days before the World Cup is on again"

Works everytime as it's hard to argue with. The bonus bit about the "once every four years" argument is that you can also equally apply it to the European Championships and the Confederation Cup. So secretly you know that there is a football tournament on 3 summers out of every four but for each single one your retort is always "but it's only on once every four years, 1,460 days blah blah blah".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Even the Greek anthem is boring.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Feck, not on free channels over here. Hope there's some decent stream around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Kind of hoping Greece go through now simply to spite all the haterzzzz :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Apparently the Greek team turned down their World Cup bonus and told the Prime Minister to build a new training centre instead.

Are you listening Cameroon?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    You need to hit her with the best argument known to footballing man:- "But sure it's only on once every four years, it'll be another 1,460 days before the World Cup is on again"

Works everytime as it's hard to argue with. The bonus bit about the "once every four years" argument is that you can also equally apply it to the European oChampionships and the Confederation Cup. So secretly you know that there is a football tournament on 3 summers out of every four but for each single one your retort is always "but it's only on once every four years, 1,460 days blah blah blah".

Told her yesterday that it's only on once every four years, whereas soaps are on seven days a week.

Think she is still thinking that one out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

2-2 Greece win on penalties

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Come on Costa Rica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have a soft spot for Greece as they won Euro 2004 against all odds.

Small country in footballing terms and they've done the best with what they have. You have to admire that.

Also, like ourselves been in the economic mire so great to see them get a left.

Nice people there and the food is great.

Where is Brian Kerr :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Apparently the Greek team turned down their World Cup bonus and told the Prime Minister to build a new training centre instead. Are you listening Cameroon?

Why do they need somewhere to train.. It's a bit far... :pac:

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    I have a soft spot for Greece as they won Euro 2004 against all odds.

Small country in footballing terms and they've done the best with what they have. You have to admire that.

Also, like ourselves been in the economic mire so great to see them get a left.

Nice people there and the food is great.

You were going so well !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Where is Brian Kerr :-(

God help us, we have to endure Ray great at telling players what to do after the fact Houghton.

Greece struggling to shield the ball into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Can see Costa Rica scoring soon.

Well spotted for off side there by the linesman.

That was tight.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Open enough start to the game, Costa Rica looking lively going forward and leaving space at the back for Greece to counter.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Game of the tournament.

My mate got tickets for this before the world cup started. He was well pissed off :pac:

This should have been the earlier game, would still have been played at a similar pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If Greece score 1st I think I'll turn off

• Advertisement
Advertisement