Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France vs Nigeria 5pm / Mon 30th

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Germany will kick their ass

Hard to say. French side improved immensely when Grievsmann came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Giroud surely cant get anywhere near the starting eleven for the quarter final... Every time he got the ball he lost it... And he also should have been sent off.... Nobody has made reference to this, but he elbowed Mikel in the face... I mean FIFA looked at the Suarez incident after the match, why are they not looking at other incidents post match.. Is that set aside just for the players that they dont like?

France could have two sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Bit off topic here - but did Argentina play any second stringers across the back four when they faced this Nigerian side?

Bit off topic here - but did Argentina play any second stringers across the back four when they faced this Nigerian side?

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Turtwig wrote: »

What really helped them was escaping two blatant two penalty decisions and not having a player sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Giroud surely cant get anywhere near the starting eleven for the quarter final... Every time he got the ball he lost it... And he also should have been sent off.... Nobody has made reference to this, but he elbowed Mikel in the face... I mean FIFA looked at the Suarez incident after the match, why are they not looking at other incidents post match.. Is that set aside just for the players that they dont like?

I didn't see it, but a intentional elbow in the face should get the same treatment as that other incident. The problem is though, it would have to be pretty blatantly deliberate, because elbows do be flying by accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sadliers face when Kenny speaks ha ha.

Kenny's feckin face when Kenny speaks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No doubt he was a factor but the French took out 2 of Nigeria's best players - thats when France came into it. This blew a big hole in the Nigerian midfield which was on top till then

Birdnuts wrote: »
    No doubt he was a factor but the French took out 2 of Nigeria's best players - thats when France came into it. This blew a big hole in the Nigerian midfield which was on top till then

True I'd forgotten they were subbed.

• Advertisement

What really helped them was escaping two blatant two penalty decisions and not having a player sent off.

I missed most of the match, I presume the red card everyone's talking about should have been for that ankle-breaker of a challenge?

I missed most of the match, I presume the red card everyone's talking about should have been for that ankle-breaker of a challenge?

Yip, that's the one.

That's one.
    Grievsmann and Giroud could possibly have been others.

I think that McDonald's advert captures all of my facial expressions when I think about eating their food..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yeah, by Matuidi on Onazi. Then Onazi was subbed off and France came into it a lot more.

Nigeria can feel hard done by, it was a very close game.

"I disagree on both accounts"

lol :D

Pro. F wrote: »
    Yeah, by Matuidi on Onazi. Then Onazi was subbed off and France came into it a lot more.

Nigeria can feel hard done by, it was a very close game.

They just showed the clips on RTE, looks like Matuidi could have been sent off twice over.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

LOL Cunningham disagrees that the shocking tackle should be a a red. Of course he does!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Sadlier in genuine shock disbelief at what he's hearing Kenny come out with haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Cunningham is just a parsnip

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If that was in the EPL Giroud would definitely get a ban. It would be some mess if FIFA miss that or choose to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Is Kenny Cunningham actually serious or on the wind-up?

Matuidi's tackle was a definite red.

LOL Cunningham disagrees that the shocking tackle should be a a red. Of course he does!

He really does talk some amount of horse shít. He's an embarrassment at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

This is hilarious haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Kenny doesnt like being argued with does he??

• Advertisement

He really does talk some amount of horse shít. He's an embarrassment at this stage.

He gets worse every match. Is he thinking long term and looking to take Dunphy's job?

He gets worse every match. Is he thinking long term and looking to take Dunphy's job?

Once he increases his alcohol intake, he'll have it in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Would hate to see Cunningham after a few scoops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Ardent

In fairness, I thought it was only a yellow at the time as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Spot the ex-Wimbledon footballer.

• Advertisement

Kenny Cunninghams contribution has me tuning in for comedy value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Kenny trying to get Ronnie on his side :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Cunningham is talking through his ar5e. Sadlier and Whelan are spot on. Matuidi should have went and it was a deffo pen .

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

"Intent doesn't come into it! Intent doesn't come into it! Intent doesn't come into it! "

Jesus Christ! Of course it does. Why do you think there's a difference between intentional handball and accidental handball, or a player accidently hitting a player in the face or intentionally elbowing them.

Bet Cunningham has never read the rules of the game and here he is acting like an expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I do disagree with Kenny, however he does argue it well in my opinion. It does look worse because the foot is planted and refs are told to judge whether a player is out of control with the tackle.

It was a red but instead of Sadlier using a laugh or a smile as an argument, Kenny actually uses words. Sadlier started off well but has become increasingly smarmy as the tournament has gone on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Cunningham is talking through his ar5e. Sadlier and Whelan are spot on. Matuidi should have went and it was a deffo pen .

+1.

Poor Nigeria and once again a Ref robs an opponent and sends the French through. Right now I'm ABF - Anyone But France.

"Intent doesn't come into it! Intent doesn't come into it! Intent doesn't come into it! "

Jesus Christ! Of course it does. Why do you think there's a difference between intentional handball and accidental handball, or a player accidently hitting a player in the face or intentionally elbowing them.

Bet Cunningham has never read the rules of the game and here he is acting like an expert.

Intent doesn't come into it in a tackle.

If you accidentally go over the top with a mistimed tackle it's a red card. Doesn't matter if you didn't mean it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What about the penalty that France should have had?

How many cups have the groups winners all reaching the quarter finals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How many cups have the groups winners all reaching the quarter finals?
    Six so far, Brazil have five and France have one, Germany have three if they make it.

World Cup finalists would be a lot more with the Dutch having three, to add to Brazil's seven, France with two and Germany with seven if they make it.

Edit: Forgot about Argentina who if they make it add two wins and four finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

The relevant rules are on page 62-66 here. Cunningham is almost perfect in his analysis apart from his belief that a one footed lunge isn't a red card offence. Much better than Whelan's talking about intent even though the rules make no reference to intent. Although I believe he was wrong, Cunningham probably gave the best analysis of the situation because he displayed his knowledge of the rules by referencing the actual wording of the rules which is what an analyst should do.

The reason there is a difference between accidental and intentional hand balls is because the rules state there is a difference. The reason there is a difference between accidental and intentional elbows is because usually an unintentional elbow doesn't use excessive force which would warrant punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Good game, Benzema and Giroud can't play together.

You didn't see the Swiss game I take it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Not a great performance by France but they deserved it over the 90. Yes a penalty could have been given for Evra's challenge, but only if there had already been 9 or 10 others in the tournament so far. It's a constant in this tournament from free-kicks and corners and refs really need to start punishing it.

As for Matuidi, no complaints if a red had been given. Delighted it wasn't though as his energy is absolutely vital to the team. Magnificent box to box midfielder.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Six so far, Brazil have five and France have one, Germany have three if they make it.

World Cup finalists would be a lot more with the Dutch having three, to add to Brazil's seven, France with two and Germany with seven if they make it.

Edit: Forgot about Argentina who if they make it add two wins and four finals.

Oh, no that's not what I meant by 'cups'. Meant in how many previous tournaments have the winners from each group all advanced to the quarter finals?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement