Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany vs Algeria 9pm / Mon 30th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

For the Algerian players who are observing Ramadan, I'm amazed at the performance they just put in. But I fear it might become really significant in extra time.

Its dark now so they can take in fluids.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ha ha. I wonder how he keeps his place in the team then.
    Maybe some of you should be managing Germany :pac:
    He rarely gives the ball away.

Or maybe you simply cannot judge Ozil without a drop of bias since his move to Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Tit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Bad decision making by Ozil. Should have taken a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Just saw the replay of the goal there and it was classy finish tbf

btw does anyone else think the Algeria coach looks a bit like Richard Dawkins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Schurle must have been watching highlights of O'Shea's goal against Copenhagen, O'Shea did it a lot more eloquently :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Schurrle should be starting in place of Ozil, Kroos or Goetze at this stage.

He wont but he should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ha ha. I wonder how he keeps his place in the team then.
    Maybe some of you should be managing Germany :pac:
    He rarely gives the ball away.

Whats his place in the team got to do with anything!? Rarely giving the ball away is fine for defensive midfielder, he's created very little for his position. Whats this childish 'should be managing Germany' nonsense too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get why Ozil is rated so highly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Halliche is a warrior, off he goes with the big Bin Laden head on him.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Typical, backed the germans to win after 60 mins and they waste chance after chance, 1 minute into et they decide to score

same :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Or maybe you simply cannot judge Ozil without a drop of bias since his move to Arsenal.

On the contrary I judge by every performance.
    He has been very good tonight.
    I think the bias is elsewhere.

murpho999 wrote: »

Class player, just hasn't been himself since around Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

They aren't fasting because they travelled so far from home. There's a certain distance away from your home that you're exempt. No way they could have put in that kind of performance fasted.

Not correct, the Algerian manager did not deny in his press conference, that some players were observing the fast. But he refused to name which players. He then told the media to move on from the topic as it was a non-issue.

Algeria coach Vahid Halilhodzic refused to divulge which of his Muslim players are observing Ramadan ahead of Monday's World Cup last-16 meeting with Germany.

The 30-day dawn-to-dusk fast began on Sunday and Halilhodzic, 61, bristled at a routine question about the subject in his pre-match news conference.

"This is a private matter and when you ask this you lack respect and ethics," said the Bosnian.

"The players will do as they wish and I would like to stop this controversy."

http://www.mbc.mw/index.php/sports2/item/2536-algeria-coach-angry-at-ramadan-focus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I want algeria to win because they're showing such spirit ....... But .......i think muller is going to score.

Do you know what the word 'bias' means?

I see very little connection with the many on here and lots elsewhere who have said he's had an ineffective game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He has not been very good tonight. I can't believe you've watched this game without bias and think he has been very good. He has been average at best. He's barely offered anything going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Biddy_61

should have scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Hahah, He Mustafa paniced!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Great chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Paully D wrote: »
    Boo! :(

Though Germany vs France is a much more appealing quarter final than Algeria vs France, admittedly.

Algeria v France would have been on the anniversary of the date they celebrate independence from France. 16 algerians born in france. The only previous match between France and Algeria was a friendly played in 2001 in Paris. Fans of the Algerian team rushed onto pitch to avoid defeat, and the game was never completed. The hype around that game would be great. Underdog story always more appealing imo.
    Would prefer it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't know how you see a good performance from him tonight. I'm not biased in any way, I actually love watching him play most of the time. He has been poor tonight though, no doubt about doubt imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

They just don't have a goal in them.

SantryRed wrote: »
    He has not been very good tonight. I can't believe you've watched this game without bias and think he has been very good. He has been average at best. He's barely offered anything going forward.

He rarely puts a pass astray and has supplied plenty of them tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Peter Collins is on a mission to say Porto Alegre more times than ever said before over the course of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Not correct, the Algerian manager did not deny in his press conference, that some players were observing the fast. But he refused to name which players. He then told the media to move on from the topic as it was a non-issue.

http://www.mbc.mw/index.php/sports2/item/2536-algeria-coach-angry-at-ramadan-focus

I work with someone from Algeria and he said that the head sheikh in the country exempted them all on those grounds, don't know how valid that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Algeria v France would have been on the anniversary of the date they celebrate independence from France. 16 algerians born in france. The only previous match between France and Algeria was a friendly played in 2001 in Paris. Fans of the Algerian team rushed onto pitch to avoid defeat, and the game was never completed. The hype around that game would be great. Underdog story always more appealing imo.
    Would prefer it myself.

Agreed plus the German deserve nothing after the way the behaved in 1982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Oezil wins a corner!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

German natives and media are all biased as in being anti-Ozil? Honigstein loves Ozil and yet...

5686830bd2e472f8defff9df2584847b.png

It seems Arsenal fans here are the only one's defending his performance, even going well beyond overhyping his performance.

• Advertisement

Class player, just hasn't been himself since around Christmas.

6 months of not being yourself= not very good in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Interesting as Peter Collins mentioned there how the manager had made 5 changes compared to their last game. Maybe resting guys to aid them.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Agreed plus the German deserve nothing after the way the behaved in 1982

get over it! 32 years!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I don't think I've ever wanted a team that isn't Ireland to score more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He rarely puts a pass astray and has supplied plenty of them tonight.

It's not impressive when he's passing it back into the centre midfield or back to the holding midfielder. He's barely made a contribution in an attacking sense, and in his position, that just isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Would prefer it myself.

Considering there were car bonfires in Paris following the Algerians qualifying for the second round. I can't imagine what would happen if Algeria were to play France....Win or Lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I wouldn't criticise just Ozil, to be fair theres not many of the Germans out there that you can say had a great game and played to their ability.

Im sure his first half stats are excellent, his second were ok.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I work with someone from Algeria and he said that the head sheikh in the country exempted them all on those grounds, don't know how valid that is.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other/algeria-team-given-permission-to-eat-during-ramadan-634927.html

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

A great player but a shadow of the player from 4 years ago.

6 months of not being yourself= not very good in my book.

You can't just discredit his previous years. Class is permanent and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Peter Collins is on a mission to say Porto Alegre more times than ever said before over the course of a game.

In the 2014 FIFA World Cup...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I wouldn't criticise just Ozil, to be fair theres not many of the Germans out there that you can say had a great game and played to their ability.

Tbh he could have a stormer it's the same posters every game he's played its tiresome at this stage

German natives and media are all biased as in being anti-Ozil? Honigstein loves Ozil and yet...

It seems Arsenal fans here are the only one's defending his performance, even going well beyond overhyping his performance.

They must all be blind Liverpool fans :pac:

They must all be blind Liverpool fans :pac:

I'd say it's not tayto's you love at all :P

• Advertisement

You can't just discredit his previous years. Class is permanent and all that.

Sorry but the world cup is on now and you have to be on top of your game.

Just like Torres is not good enough anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's not impressive when he's passing it back into the centre midfield or back to the holding midfielder. He's barely made a contribution in an attacking sense, and in his position, that just isn't good enough.

His best contribution was a misplaced cross which nearly lobbed the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Don't generalise.

He was decent in the first half, as much as any of them were. Since about 70 minutes he's been completely ineffectual.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Ozil has been disappointing all night but so have a good few of the German players.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    His best contribution was a misplaced cross which nearly lobbed the keeper.

Like Gerrard's?

• Advertisement
Advertisement