Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vs Switzerland 5pm / Tue 1st

• 27-06-2014 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Argentina and Switzerland get the last day of the second round started with a 5pm kick off on Tuesday the 1st.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'm going for a Swiss victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

13c3fb566affdb3aa48a0c096a9ea682.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Best player in the world not named Clint Dempsey to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Nervous. Verrrry nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Messi vs Djourou :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Argentina will win easily, Switzerland have looked poor so far in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Who is this "LORENZO" in the Argentine defence that is such a terrible defender? Every time I see Dunphy on Argentina he keeps going on about the 'awful' Lorenzo in the Argie defence. But there's no Lorenzo in the Argentine Defence? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Rezident wrote: »
    Who is this "LORENZO" in the Argentine defence that is such a terrible defender? Every time I see Dunphy on Argentina he keeps going on about the 'awful' Lorenzo in the Argie defence. But there's no Lorenzo in the Argentine Defence? :confused:

There was an article about him getting it wrong in the Herald today. He obviously didn't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Johner wrote: »
    Argentina will win easily, Switzerland have looked poor so far in the tournament.

They had one bad game against France - other than that they won both their games and they've scored more goals than Argentina have so far; and Switzerland had a tougher group. As long as the goalkeeper doesn't have another match like he did against France; I think Switzerland will win this one.

Other than Romero and Messi; the rest of the Argentina team have been very poor. Even if Messi is man of the match and scores two; Switzerland could easily score three down the other end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Swiss defence.

swisscheese.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The Swiss should get acres of space on the wings here. All depends how the use it.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Hitzfeld was asked before the match what does he like most about managing Switzerland.

He said "Well, the flag is a big plus".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

One of the biggest surprises of the tournament for me, was the Swiss getting to the second round.

This game needs a goal

They had one bad game against France - other than that they won both their games and they've scored more goals than Argentina have so far; and Switzerland had a tougher group. As long as the goalkeeper doesn't have another match like he did against France; I think Switzerland will win this one..

Thought they were poor enough against Ecuador and pretty lucky to get the win. They were awful against France and good against a pretty poor Honduran side. Was expecting a bit more from them, same could be said for Argentina but I think they'll win here by a couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

One of the biggest surprises of the tournament for me, was the Swiss getting to the second round.

Not really for me. Ecuador were probably the worst of the South American teams and Honduras were terrible. It was probably the weakest group in the World Cup apart from France.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Messi for the hat-trick. Calling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

rarnes1 wrote: »
    This game needs a goal

Its a game of two halves!

How is that not a yellow? Blatant.

Brazilians loving the Swiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Very hard to follow the ball in the air for some reason... Just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

D.Q wrote: »
    Very hard to follow the ball in the air for some reason... Just me?

It wasn't until you pointed it out ha

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

That_Guy wrote: »
    Swiss defence.

swisscheese.jpg

I see what you did there....

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

I see what you did there....

I didn't. The joke was too complex. You gouda made it a little simpler.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I didn't. The joke was too complex. You gouda made it a little simpler.

Isn't Gouda Dutch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Stupid stadium design compounded by the sunshine. Watching the ball in the Argentinian end is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Good game of ball this :)

Pretty drab but Switzerland containing very well.

Argentina just can't get anything going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

So far every day for the round of 16 one game has gone to extra time, reckon if the trend is gonna continue its going to be belgium and usa for extra time, think switzerland might just pip argentina in this one, argentina (besides messi) have been poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Should have scored

Good save. Best chance of the game there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Argentina are sleep walking here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Good chance, Swiss doing very well

I can't see the ball when it leaves the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Romero "the liability in goals" has probably been Argentina's second most important player this tournament so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Anyone else think Messi a little overrated? I mean you can't ignore his goals but there's been no end product to the vast majority of his work in this tournament.

Thats an excellent delivery

corny wrote: »
    Anyone else think Messi a little overrated? I mean you can't ignore his goals but there's been no end product to the vast majority of his work in this tournament.

How many lols does it deserve?

Ill give you the one for now, lol.

corny wrote: »

Oh ffs.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Romero "the liability in goals" has probably been Argentina's second most important player this tournament so far.

Over rated? *snigger*

He's had an off tournament but you could look at it from the other side. Teams have nullified him excellently. Ok, he's scored the goals but I've never seen him tackled so much in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Whoever is in control of showing replays on TV is doing a terrible job. Still waiting to have another look at the Swiss chance. It's been a constant theme throughout the WC.

Blatter wrote: »
    Whoever is in control of showing replays on TV is doing a terrible job. Still waiting to have another look at the Swiss chance. It's been a constant theme throughout the WC.

You of all people have the power to change this.

Messi is an all time great and has been one of the better players in the tournament but he does sometimes get free passes, e.g. against Bosnia and especially Iran he was very poor. But as all time type players do, he came up with a moment of magic in each when it mattered. I just wish the general media didn't try to hard to forget that he was poor for all but 5 or 10 mins of the first 180 minutes of the tournament when they are busy talking him up as one of if not the best so far (which belongs to Rodriguez followed by Robben so far).

I do reckon he makes the difference again tonight, mind.

Billy86 wrote: »

Over rated? *snigger*

He's had an off tournament but you could look at it from the other side. Teams have nullified him excellently. Ok, he's scored the goals but I've never seen him tackled so much in a long time.

XvsEGPj.gif

Over rated? *snigger*

uuummmmmmm... when did I call Romero overrated?

Think you quoted the wrong post. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Over rated? *snigger*

You could call it an off tournament if you like. I see him giving the ball under no pressure quite often.

And he's not the first great player to suffer a few 'tackles'.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Biddy_61

Awful finish.

Awful effort.

What a shocking finish! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

How did he not score.

• Advertisement
Advertisement