Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vs Switzerland 5pm / Tue 1st

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

ricero wrote: »
    This tournament peaked at the group stage

How you figure that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Switzerland push up, but they've been getting deeper and deeper for the last while otherwise. It's getting that weird inevitable look to it, like in the Germany match last night (even if it took until the start of extra time for them) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Swiss seem to be tiring. Time for a sub or two.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

This tournament peaked at the group stage

Eerily similar to the NBA Playoffs. Best opening round of all time before everything settled down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

bmcc10 wrote: »
    How you figure that?

Besides the chile and brazil penalties and the germany game last night im finding the second round fixtures very boring

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Pro. F wrote: »
    Just put Di Maria on the left wing so he can cross the ball. I hate this inside out winger crap.
    That's better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Only a matter of time before the argies score.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

I wonder if Messi will make any changes for the last few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

The Argentinian wheel is turning alright. Goal looking inevitable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Genuine question...Why do they show that distance covered yoke by players? Can you not being running around covering over 10k and being totally useless? Sub comes on and covers 50m and scores a goal? What's the stat supposed prove? Big believer in stats like the passes completed and possession and all those, I just don't see the point in the ground covered, doesn't really tell you anything about their performance.

• Advertisement

Besides the chile and brazil penalties and the germany game last night im finding the second round fixtures very boring
    Not a great game but what about the Costa Rica dramatics? Much better penalties, and maybe the 2nd/erd biggest outsiders (after Iran and perhaps Honduras) holding on with 10 men against a Greek team that were the definitive "baddies" in this tournament with their wretched style of play and time wasting from the first minute of every game.

Or one of the best WC goals I can remember from Ham Is Rodriguez?

I thought the Dutch/Mexican second half was very good as well, personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Genuine question...Why do they show that distance covered yoke by players? Can you not being running around covering over 10k and being totally useless? Sub comes on and covers 50m and scores a goal? What's the stat supposed prove? Big believer in stats like the passes completed and possession and all those, I just don't see the point in the ground covered, doesn't really tell you anything about their performance.

For me It shows how fit you must be to be a professional football at that level and I find it interesting

nuxxx wrote: »
    For me It shows how fit you must be to be a professional football at that level and I find it interesting
    I remember Dwight Yorke saying an average Premiership match was much, much more tiring than when he did the London marathon a few years ago on Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I know it's two different standards of teams, but it basically feels like Messi vs. Shaqiri out there, in terms of where a goal is gonna come from. Shaqiri's the more unfortunate one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It's supposed to show how much physical work they're doing, and it's held up as evidence for that all the time, but it doesn't show that at all. Distance covered bears almost no relationship to how hard the players are working.

Brave from goalkeeper. Great save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Holy shít. What a save.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

This is a slow burn and Messi is starting to spark.

So the Argentines are allowed kick/run into the keepers now. Interesting.

Great shot, great save.

• Advertisement

Outstanding save from Benaglio.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Funny quip there earlier from Lawro:-

Lawro: Would like to see that Higuain chance again.
    Pearce: The director of the tv coverage today is Jean Jacques whose specialty is the slow motion close up, the drop of sweat...
    Lawro: as opposed to the Higuain chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No translator need for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Di Maria has been muck. Like Victor Moses level of performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Switzerland's pass completion rate must be shockingly low.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

nuxxx wrote: »

But the distance they cover is not usually over 10k for 90 minutes, that's not exactly substantial, granted they are high intensity bursts but the nature of the sport is stop/start so it's not exactly reflective of how fit a player is or more to what I was trying to get at, how well they perform. I think it's fairly pointless as a stat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Messi in the 90+2 minute with a winner again.

Switzerland are far too deep. Can only see this going one way if it does indeed end up going to extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Di Maria has been muck. Like Victor Moses level of performance.

Very harsh, he's performed better then most.

Behrami... Ugh.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Very harsh, he's performed better then most.

Don't see that at all. For me he's done nothing but give the ball away and make poor decisions that have led to attacks breaking down.

• Advertisement

Crossing is absolutely muck from both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

That Inler fella is shocking.

Messi is gonna have to do this on his own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't see that at all. For me he's done nothing but give the ball away and make poor decisions that have led to attacks breaking down.

Gave the ball away 28 times in the first 70 minutes apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Rodriguez and Inler have been top class for Switz today.
    Its gonna take a Messi bit of magic for Argentina to win this.

If Argentina do get through they'll really miss Rojo in their next game. I think he's been their best performer throughout the tournament.

Rojo misses the quarters if they make it through.

Blessing in disguise would be an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Gringo180 wrote: »
    That Inler fella is shocking.

Shocking better mean a good thing from wherever you're from??? He has been immense today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Sarajevo Assasin

Can someone explain why they thought Argentina were the favourites to win the world cup?

If Argentina do get through they'll really miss Rojo in their next game. I think he's been their best performer throughout the tournament.

Strange he didn't let someone else make that tackle. Wasn't a dangerous enough attack to sacrifice himself for imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Djourou > Messi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Colombia are going to win the World Cup.:eek:

Wonder how much Switzerland have left. They've put in a right shift. Same goes to Argentina too in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Fair play to the Swiss and Hitzfeld.

Sabella is the Coach Brooks of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Argentina are brutal, and they have one of the best teams at the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Shocking better mean a good thing from wherever you're from??? He has been immense today.

Immense at chasing Messi's shadow but anytime he got on the ball he was shocking near falling over himself at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

I'm glad I don't listen to Brady when placing bets. Argentina to win by 3. LOL :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Di Maria lost possession 37 times in that game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

World cup wide open no standout team so far bar Colombia however they haven't had a real test to date. 4 draws out of 7 in the last 16.

Advertisement