Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belgium vs USA 9pm / Tue 1st

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Not joking lads that was the best match I think I ever seen had me jumping all over the sitting room hoping for an American goal. UNBELIEVABLE!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

keith16 wrote: »
    20121118_Crying_american_Eagle-Flag_LARGE.jpg

Lest we forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Fine for me. Can't imagine there's enough of a football following there to crash the site

There is and the USA V Belgium thread has 20,0000 comments so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

The yanks gave it all and they can be very proud of their WC. However the US love in here is way ott. They were fairly average and were beaten by a far better team. Let's also remember Belgium aren't exactly world beaters either. Credit to Belgium tonight on reaching a QF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

If Friedel said he'd be disappointed not saving that goal, I don't think Didi should say that the keeper may have been deceived by the pace of the ball. Brads the expert here, Didi doesn't understand goalkeeping nearly as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Brilliant finale to a great match. Pity the American's never settled into the game, if they could have gotten Bradley passing earlier tonight would have seen a very different result I feel. Still, given how many changes Belgium created, they very much deserve the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

There is and the USA V Belgium thread has 20,0000 comments so far.

yeah well, the Boards USA vs Belgium thread has over 600 points, wooo!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Duncan Castles ‏@DuncanCastles 4m
    United States deliver another thrilling finish. How about FIFA giving them the 2022 World Cup as a thank you gift? #BEL #USA #WorldCup

I'm all for it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Reddit has crashed

Online here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

omega man wrote: »
    The yanks gave it all and they can be very proud of their WC. However the US love in here is way ott. They were fairly average and were beaten by a far better team. Let's also remember Belgium aren't exactly world beaters either. Credit to Belgium tonight on reaching a QF.
    It was all heart(USA) against a far superior squad in football terms. The USA did themselves proud and nearly got it back to level in extra time.

Its not 'USA' love, its a team 'full of heart and desire' love that you are seeing.

• Advertisement

Stop will you they tried there hearts out when they were on empty, I cant recall a team showing so much heart and passion for there jersey its what football should be all about. They deserve all the credit there getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 HSAJT

Wondolowski could have won it for the USA in regulation, but in a way I am glad it went to overtime because that was an exciting game of Soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

Cienciano wrote: »
    And his only trick is his "wacky" hairstyle

...if I see another Afro in this world cup :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Can see the lad Yedlin gaining a few suitors.

Yes definitely. Looked good throughout. The Green lad was lively too for someone with such little experience and took the goal well.

Every time I see the States I am impressed with the way Bradley plays. Not sure why it didn't work out at Villa for him.

All in all, well done USA. It was a pity they didn't quite manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Online here.

Only crashed for around 30 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Gringo180 wrote: »
    cant recall a team showing so much heart and passion for there jersey its what football should be all about.

Algeria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I think I'm gonna need therapy when this World Cup is over. The withdrawal symptoms are gonna be pretty brutal.

Algeria?

Yes them too. Only for some poor finishing they would of battered Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

We totally dominated the 90 minutes but wasted some shocking chances.

Credit to the US, the spirit in that team is unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Delighted Belgium won. I've a few pound on them to make it to the final. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

However the US love in here is way ott.

I suspect you wouldn't have a peep to say if it was any other country. We just witnessed a great game from two teams and I think the USA team won a lot of new admirers tonight. And that's all that matters here, not politics, not agendas, just bloody good football.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna need therapy when this World Cup is over. The withdrawal symptoms are gonna be pretty brutal.

The transfer window should ease the pain...oh wait:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Superb game, Belgium were by far superior all game but this World Cup has shown that even a small mistake gets punished. US are a limited team and to be able to still function after soaking up pressure for basically the whole game is impressive.

Its strange to watch a game like that and not be rooting for the proper footballing team, like i don't want to watch USA v Argentina only for them to soak up the pressure and rely on one chance in 90 mins. I am looking forward to Argentina and Belgium now.

A two day break? :eek::eek::eek: Ah here.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Jaysus Darragh, really squeezing some seriously tenuous links there.

I don't know what to do with myself until Friday now. :(

Need a few valium to come down from that game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Superb game, Belgium were by far superior all game but this World Cup has shown that even a small mistake gets punished. US are a limited team and to be able to still function after soaking up pressure for basically the whole game is impressive.

Its strange to watch a game like that and not be rooting for the proper footballing team, like i don't want to watch USA v Argentina only for them to soak up the pressure and rely on one chance in 90 mins. I am looking forward to Argentina and Belgium now.

i dont think USA were set up to soak up pressure they got tired,they put plenty of effort into going forward but didnt have the quality at times,yeah Belgium were superior but you would expect that with a team made up of players playing with top clubs in the top leagues of europe.

bulk of the US squad play in the MLS.

Any American based boardsies know what impact the sport is having in the inner city/urban areas?

Personally, I think that would be the final step to America arriving on the scene and ultimately graduating from plucky underdogs.

Any American based boardsies know what impact the sport is having in the inner city/urban areas?

Personally, I think that would be the final step to America arriving on the scene and ultimately graduating from plucky underdogs.

Not much. There are very few soccer pitches in inner city areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Why did Wilmots run onto the pitch to celebrate the first goal, stay off the pitch you blooming plonker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Need a few valium to come down from that game :D

We'll do well to get any kip after a game like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I feel Wondolobski messed up on 3 occasions that blew chances fo the US late in the game

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

peabutler wrote: »
    Why did Wilmots run onto the pitch to celebrate the first goal, stay off the pitch you blooming plonker.
    It's difficult to tell at first but I watched the replays and I think it's because he was happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

peabutler wrote: »

Why did Klinsmann run onto the pitch to celebrate their first goal, stay off the pitch you blooming plonker.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    We totally dominated the 90 minutes but wasted some shocking chances.

Credit to the US, the spirit in that team is unbelievable.

Alot of people were writing Belgium off but you've now won four games. I think you are starting to grow in belief and are well capable of beating whats left. Argentina, Brazil and Germany are no great shakes. France looked very vulnerable yesterday. Costa Rica and Colombia are still too raw. Its an open World cup. I reckon ye could make the final. A 'benelux' derby in the semi would be interesting although i will be rooting for Costa Rica against Holland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

USA weren't up to much. Belgium were nervy and didn't start their best side. Mirallas and Lukaku changed the game.

USA weren't even the best underdog story. Algeria take that crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    i dont think USA were set up to soak up pressure they got tired,they put plenty of effort into going forward but didnt have the quality at times,yeah Belgium were superior but you would expect that with a team made up of players playing with top clubs in the top leagues of europe.

bulk of the US squad play in the MLS.

Not knocking it, just they know their limitations and they stick to a gameplan. As you mentioned they are resigned to soaking up pressure for large parts of the game without the same quality of replacements when the legs go - Dempsey is a prime example of this, if he went off injured who would replace him!

They gave everything over 120 mins and it was great that they got that goal to reward the team and fans for their campaign.

USA/Algeria have shown that you might not be able to overthrow the powers that be BUT you can make life difficult for them and with a little bit more luck who knows. Either way been a good WC for the States.

just i know who i'd rather see this Saturday v Messi and Co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Very entertaining game,fair play to the USA they were enjoyable to watch through the whole tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

chupacabra wrote: »
    Why did Klinsmann run onto the pitch to celebrate their first goal, stay off the pitch you blooming plonker.

No manager should go on the pitch celebrating a goal, I don't think Klinsmann did I could be wrong but Wilmots ran a good 15 yards onto the pitch, totally over the top and disrespectful to the opposition to see the opposing manager running in front of your technical area.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

It's caught the nation's imagination in short. Party atmosphere for the past month or so. Undoubtedly the popularity in the sport has grown and it continues to grow after every World Cup, but whether that translates into the MLS, I'm not too sure on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Ranchu wrote: »
    USA weren't up to much. Belgium were nervy and didn't start their best side. Mirallas and Lukaku changed the game.

USA weren't even the best underdog story. Algeria take that crown.

Harsh on USA, thought they put up a great fight in extra time, more so than Algeria imo. With that said, I still wouldn't rate USA too highly and by extension Belgium so I expect an Argentina win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

No way only 1 minute should of been 2:mad:

I'm going to take a card here.

It's have. Should HAVE. Every thread! Every single thread. It's should have or should've. Should of is not a thing.

Friday seems an awfully long way away right now. An empty two day, football-less void.

:(

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    It's caught the nation's imagination in short. Party atmosphere for the past month or so. Undoubtedly the popularity in the sport has grown and it continues to grow after every World Cup, but whether that translates into the MLS, I'm not too sure on that.

Well popularity and as a result revenues have increased in the MLS each year I believe, 5 of the starting 11 are MLS players so who knows the success of the USMNT could draw in some potential fans. I personally find the MLS very entertaining, albeit not the highest standard out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

I suspect you wouldn't have a peep to say if it was any other country. We just witnessed a great game from two teams and I think the USA team won a lot of new admirers tonight. And that's all that matters here, not politics, not agendas, just bloody good football.

Don't know what you mean by "...if it was any other country". I wasn't favouring either team tonight. Bar the 2nd half of ET the US were poor enough and Belgium missed countless chances. Personally I only felt the game came to life and was exciting after the US scored. Definitely not great football though. Not interested in politics or agendas either, just football and only gave my opinion. The Belgians achievement tonight is also as admirable. Good for football all in all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Harsh on USA, thought they put up a great fight in extra time, more so than Algeria imo. With that said, I still wouldn't rate USA too highly and by extension Belgium so I expect an Argentina win.

They put up a fight but that's the least you'd expect from any team in the last 16 of the World Cup. Algeria played far better football over the course of the tournament and were put out by better opposition in better form.

Ranchu wrote: »
    They put up a fight but that's the least you'd expect from any team in the last 16 of the World Cup. Algeria played far better football over the course of the tournament and were put out by better opposition in better form.

Belgium won all of their group games and Germany drew one, also barely beating the US, to say they were in better form is a bit of a stretch.

Algeria did well no doubt but they're still one of the top African teams, Costa Rica would be the obvious underdogs for me what with their tiny population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Belgium obviously were the far superior side and deserved to go through on the night.

But **** me, what an effort from the States!! Gotta take that chance at the end of normal time...:mad: I can't think of a previous example of a side looking completely out of it 14 minutes into extra time down by two and coming back to grab the game by the horns like they did. No give in them, never know when they're beat.

Another great game of a wonderful tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

I feel a bit deflated, I was hoping to shout at the end of the game USA USA USA..............
    Oh well there's still Costa Rica, c'mon the Ticos (I hope my prediction of the Netherlands winning is wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm going to take a card here.

It's have. Should HAVE. Every thread! Every single thread. It's should have or should've. Should of is not a thing.

Thank you. A million times thank you. I'm so glad it's not just me that this grates on. Don't they teach the kiddies English in schools anymore ?

Anyway, back to the game. I thought it was terrific stuff. Like Germany v Algeria, end to end, cracking game. The USA were heroic I thought. Fair play to them.

Oh, and Brad Friedel is a Pats man. I knew I liked him. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement