Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Give an avid reader suggestions for some books

• 27-06-2014 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

I haven't read a book for about 10 days now, and going into serious withdrawal symptoms :) - can't find anything to appeal to me. The worst part is I have about 20 books lined up, but can't get in to any of them.

Typically read Fantasy, Sci-fi, Urban Fantasy, futuristic stuff, I also like the 'literary' type fantasy - Kafka on the Shore, American Gods, Cloud Atlas etc. And when I get bored of the Sci-fi/Fantasy stuff I usually then read a Classic or two.

Trying to read Wolf of Wall Street at the moment, but TBH, I just want to bit*ch slap him :o He is annoying me too much. What I might do is speed read the rest of it (I hate not finishing books).

Not a fan of most horror, crime stuff, and read virtually no non-fiction (bar the very odd autobiography).

Anyone any suggestions, I tend to read the same type stuff. So some other suggestions would be really appreciative.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Have you read any of Anne Lyle's books? Alternative historical fantasy set in Elizabethan England. She has written a trilogy called 'Night's Masque', 'The Alchemist of Souls' is the first book.

Might be worth a look given the types of books you read :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear

Foundation Series
    Culture series by Ian M Banks
    Otherland is more immediate sci fi

The Name of The Wind I found to be quite a good fantasy read.

What other books do you read to give me some idea of what you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Orson Scott Card's Ender series
    Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

If you like Murakami, give Hard Boiled Wonderland a go (I didn't rate Kafka on the Shore highly, personally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭LeonardNelson

Divergent will always be my favorite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

You could try something off my reading list http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057074266 . Anything with a 4/5 and some with 3/5 are worth a look. Mostly classics but some more modern.
    Flatland
    The Coming Race (bizarrely startrekky in places)
    Zanoni (which i'm convinced was made into the film Hancock)
    Lovecraft always worth a look, i know you said not into horror but his cosmic horror is more like sci-fi.
    Face in the Abyss (its a pulp but like the best B-Movie you'll ever read, like a good version of Chronicles of Riddick ;) ).

• Advertisement
Advertisement