Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Guilty Pleasures

Options
  • 27-06-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

What are some of your guiltiest, filthiest cooking secrets?

I love to use the most processed, orange, american, single slice serving cheese when I make mac n cheese or on burgers.

Otherwise I'm a snob and turn up my nose at most 'chedar' or sh1tty 'mozzarella' etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Jezek wrote: »
    What are some of your guiltiest, filthiest cooking secrets?

I love to use the most processed, orange, american, single slice serving cheese when I make mac n cheese or on burgers.

Otherwise I'm a snob and turn up my nose at most 'chedar' or sh1tty 'mozzarella' etc.

Aren't Easi Singles made in Ireland? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

fussyonion wrote: »

american in spirit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I buy garlic puree instead of fresh if I'm feeling lazy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have a jar of minced garlic and a jar of minced chillis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I, on occasion, use Knor Stock Pots.
    Oh, I also have a jar of Tom Yum paste.

Just shoot me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Oxo cubes in my stews & lashings of Heinz Salad Cream in salad sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I thought thats how you made stew nice, and everyone did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Swiss bouillon added to anything cooked in a pot.

And I STILL lick the bowl after making anything sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Knorr stock pots, so easy to add flavour to pretty much anything.

Also Schwartz garlic Italian or spicy Italian seasoning.

Sometimes I just can't be arsed to make everything fresh. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, plastic cheese.

I also have jars of lazy garlic and lazy ginger, they hardly ever get used, but they are useful in a pinch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I have a jar of minced garlic and a jar of minced chillis :)

I'll see you your garlic & chillis in a jar & raise you a jar of ginger too :P I also have easi singles in the fridge & lick the bowl when baking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Probably not considered a real guilty pleasure but I buy Aldi Specially Selected Madras Curry sauce from time to time.

I do make my own curries from scratch but the Aldi curry sauce is just delicious and means we can have a decent curry with very little prep/cooking.
    I just add chicken, cut into chunks, red and green pepper and an onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Say what you want about easy singles, but no other yellow plastic melts quite like it!

Chicken goujons sliced, thrown on top of nachos, covered in a jar of salsa and topped with cheese.
    I even refer to it as "dinner" if I've had a long day in the office.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love easi singles :D

I really really love mcdonalds double cheeseburgers because I love the plastic cheese an unbelievable amount :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

store-bought all butter pastry for tarts/pies/whatever.

Yes, I am lazy.

I'll even buy pre-made cases if I can find all butter short crust ones.

Did that like 4 days ago actually and made the most decadent orange chocolate tart.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My name is Tom Dunne and I put sweetcorn into chilli. :(
    Sparks wrote:
    If you even think of putting sweetcorn in this dish, by the way, you're an abomination unto dog and man alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Opening a bottle of wine to put some in a dish, then not ;)

Buying pre-chopped veg if I'm in a rush.

Likewise I've various jars of garlic, chilli, lemongrass etc for use when speed is a priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

fussyonion wrote: »

Yeah, you get processed cheese in Ireland. But when you hear Americans talk about American cheese, that's what it is.

I, on occasion, use Knor Stock Pots.

Really nothing wrong with this. People having conniptions about people not always using fresh stock just make me
    > :rolleyes:

Tarzana wrote: »
    Really nothing wrong with this. People having conniptions about people not always using fresh stock just make me
    > :rolleyes:

Who said there was anything wrong with it?

• Advertisement

Who said there was anything wrong with it?

Defensive! The title of the thread is 'Cooking Guilty Pleasures' implying that people would judge you a little for it. And I have indeed known people be judgmental of others not using real stock. My post was in support of yours. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Defensive! The title of the thread is 'Cooking Guilty Pleasures' implying that people would judge you a little for it. And I have indeed known people be judgmental of others not using real stock. My post was in support of yours. Yikes.

my knee-jerk reaction is to be a little judgemental of using stock..I don't know why when I do it sometimes...

Jezek wrote: »
    my knee-jerk reaction is to be a little judgemental of using stock..I don't know why when I do it sometimes...

I mean, real stock you've made is obviously the mutt's nutts, I love soup made with my chicken stock, and don't really like soup just made with stock cubes. But some stock cubes on the market are quite good. I'm a fan of the Kallo Just Bouillon ones. And sometimes you just don't have homemade stock to hand.

I guess where I was coming from is that people haven't posted in this thread to have their confessions vindicated or otherwise by others.

By saying that there is nothing wrong with my confession indicates, by omission, that there may be something wrong with other's confessions.

My original post was a touch tongue in cheek anyway.

I guess where I was coming from is that people haven't posted in this thread to have their confessions vindicated or otherwise by others.

By saying that there is nothing wrong with my confession indicates, by omission, that there may be something wrong with other's confessions.

My original post was a touch tongue in cheek anyway.

Well, some are pretty bad - easi singles? But it had nothing to do with other posts, I just hate stock cube snobbery.

Tongue in cheek often doesn't translate in text.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Making extra chocolate ganache to cover a cake and eating it with a teaspoon from the bowl.
    Somehow eating it with a teaspoon makes me feel more virtuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

normally very picky with my food quality, like to mince my own meat etc so know what's in it, but maybe twice a year I get a craving for those galtee hotdogs you boil for a few minutes. I dont even dare look at the pack for ingredients, bad enough seeing the rolls of "meat" when bite into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Fish finger sandwiches

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Faith wrote: »
    I really really love mcdonalds double cheeseburgers because I love the plastic cheese an unbelievable amount :o
    I had one with a sundae in mcdonalds and copped on I could use the sundae spoon to scrape off the cheese that stuck to the burger wrapper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Lisha wrote: »
    Fish finger sandwiches

.....with really fresh Brennans bread and loads of tomato ketchup.....

Almost as good as.....

.......Tayto crisp sandwiches.......:pac:

Advertisement