Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords Behaviour

Options
  • 27-06-2014 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    Just a quick story for you as I need some help!
    Myself and my boyfriend moved to a new house in January through an letting agent. We pay the rent directly to landlords hand and he signs the rent book for us as "receipt" so we have a prove it was paid.
    Only thing is that he comes over at odd times... usually after 11pm when we are in bed. And he never tells us he is going to come over. Recently I managed to get his phone number (he didnt want to give it to me at the start) but other than informing me that he sorted the PRTB number he hasnt been in contact.
    Myself and boyfriend left for holidays at start of June of which the landlord was informed. We came back the other day just to be told by my friend who lives next door (he minds the house for us while we are gone) that our landlord was in the house few times doing something.... while we wre gone on holidays. We werent informed of that at all! The landlord never even bothered to text me to tell me he wants to go inside the house. Is this even legal?
    We have a line in lease saying that we have to give landlord an access to the house AFTER given a 24h written request (or phone call).
    I am not sure what to do now.... we will be seeing the landlord around first week of July to pay the rent, and I dont know what to day to him... Im not good with dealing with this type of stuff and I am afraid if I say something he will kick us out (our lease is up on the 23rd of July and we want to extend it)
    Any ideas on what to do? I am super confused, since it never happened before. All other landlords I had always phoned day or so before they wanted to come in and they wouldnt come in if I wasnt home. So this is pretty strange to me and tbh I feel horribly insecure in the house now as if the landlord was going to walk in any minute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You're completely right, you're entitled by law to 'quiet enjoyment' of your home. He must give notice and you must agree to the time and date of the visit, i.e. he can't dictate a time and date and he certainly can't enter when you're not there without your consent unless it's an emergency.

Also, could you not set up a standing order for the rent? That way he has no reason to just show up unannounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pam_x_Pam

I asked him few times about that but his response is usually that he doesnt trust banks...
    He is a nice guy, but now I dont know what to think or do... I dont mind him coming over every month for the rent but at normal hours (not around midnight!!) and after letting me know so I dont answer the door in my underwear =/

Any idea on how to approach him about coming into the house when we werent here? Cos i am pretty sure if my friend didnt tell us , the landlord wouldnt mention it..

I can understand he might be busy as he is a farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sounds like he doesn't trust banks not to inform revenue of his rental income...

;)

Have you checked to see if the property is registered?

I got the PRTB letter at the start of the month before we went for the holidays so it is registered ;) but i am pretty sure he registered the property after i asked for the number cos I need it for something. We have been living here since January so surly we would of get the letter sooner. But either way its registered now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

You need to tell him that you were told he was in the property when you were not there and hes not supposed to do it. You don't feel comfortable with that and you would like to set a suitable date and timeframe for him to visit each month.

Or move out.

..............sorry if that sounds harsh.... but if you dont clear it up, you will never be able to relax at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Pam_x_Pam wrote: »
    ...after letting me know so I dont answer the door in my underwear =/
    Is it just landlords and/or farmers that you don't like answering the door to in your underwear?

Sadderday wrote: »
    You need to tell him that you were told he was in the property when you were not there and hes not supposed to do it. You don't feel comfortable with that and you would like to set a suitable date and timeframe for him to visit each month.

Or move out.

..............sorry if that sounds harsh.... but if you dont clear it up, you will never be able to relax at home.
    I know I have to talk to him I just dont know how... but I will get onto it eventually...
    I was thinking about moving but not many options around the town atm.
    No Pants wrote: »
    Is it just landlords and/or farmers that you don't like answering the door to in your underwear?

Wel to be honest I dont really care what I am wearing if someone knocks at my door after 10pm or before 6am...nothing personal. I dont expect people to knock at my door after 10pm unless I am informed beforehand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

You can say it in a down to earth way to see if it makes a difference first.

Best of Luck!

I dont want to make a big deal or argument out of this so I am defo going to approach it nicely... or leave it to my boyfriend! :P

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Sounds to me that he might be registered, but not declaring fully his rental income....

I have a "no phone except in emergency" after 10 PM in my house, so calling around all hours is not acceptable.

Is there anywhere else nearby to rent? I'd be moving TBH

• Advertisement

There isnt any really that we can afford :(
    But myself and boyfriend will get it sorted one way or another.... even if it means making complain to PRTB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Why would you answer the door after 10pm? I'd simply ignore it.

Why would you answer the door after 10pm? I'd simply ignore it.

I answered once cos I was expecting my parents to visit late.

Other times I ignore it but my boyfriend wont and he opens =\
    Sometimes I'd be up till late and I think it's just not nice since he knows im there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Sounds like yet another crook masquerading as a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

endacl wrote: »
    Sounds like he doesn't trust banks not to inform revenue of his rental income...

;)

Have you checked to see if the property is registered?
    Ridiculous conclusion to jump to. I was collecting rent from a particular tenant for a while in cash and I can assure you it was all taxed.

The problem here is NOT collecting rent in cash (the OP has a rent book and thus proof of rent paid from her side. The tenancy also seems to be registered with the PRTB. These are NOT the actions of a tax evading landlord! Such people won't sign anything and certainly won't register the tenancy with the PRTB.

The problem here is the landlord's behaviour towards the OP. It's just not on (and not allowed) to waltz into someone's home unannounced like that. The rent should be collected on a set day (first Saturday of the month or whatever) at a set time. Random visits shouldn't happen!

Advertisement