Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym in Kilkenny

Options
  • 27-06-2014 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I'm moving to Kilkenny for three months for work and I was wondering which gym would be best for a 3 month contract. Will be living near the centre/St Luke's Hospital.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭T L

I'm in the Watershed so it's the only one I really know about:

http://www.thewatershed.ie/

Prices:

http://www.thewatershed.ie/documents/PricingStructureSept11.pdf

I like it, the pool is fantastic (big, always open to the public), the gym is big enough that you don't usually have to be waiting for anything (weights and cardio equipment both). It's on the far side of town from St Lukes, but KK is small enough (and there's the ring road around it) that that's prob not an issue. Five mins and you'd prob be there.

Other gyms in KK:
    https://www.facebook.com/fennellyfitness - Hebron Estate, Mid/far side of the town from you
    http://www.flynnhotels.com/Newpark_Hotel_Kilkenny/Escape_Health_Club/Leisure_Facilities - same side of the town as you
    http://www.kilkennyormonde.com/leisure-club-ko-spa/leisure-club - city centre
    http://www.hotelkilkenny.ie/leisure-club.html - same side of the town as you

I'm not sure which of the above have 3 month memberships.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think the Ormonde is the best. Ideal location and staff are generally quite friendly and accommodating. Price-wise, I think the Watershed and the Ormomde are pretty similar. What I like about the Ormonde is you can go for a nice cooling swim after the gym as they have a common dressing room :)

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think the Ormonde is the best. Ideal location and staff are generally quite friendly and accommodating. Price-wise, I think the Watershed and the Ormomde are pretty similar. What I like about the Ormonde is you can go for a nice cooling swim after the gym as they have a common dressing room :)

I don't mind walking the ten yards to the pool from the gym in the Watershed. I'm weird like that, I don't mind a little exercise after my exercise :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

T L wrote: »
    I don't mind walking the ten yards to the pool from the gym in the Watershed. I'm weird like that, I don't mind a little exercise after my exercise :P

What he means is after using the gym in the Watershed you have to get your gear out of the dressing room then down a flight of stairs and find another locker for your gear after using a cubical to change in.

Ormonde is fine, but I think it's very run down, the changing rooms, steam room and the sauna need a good overhaul but the prices are reasonable,but there is a problem of theft in the mens changing rooms(I know 3 people who had things stolen on them) probably because you can't lock the lockers.

I think Hotel Kilkenny is the best overall for facilities not too sure what the price is now or what their payment options are.

Not a member of a gym now but thinking of rejoining soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Dymo wrote: »
    What he means is after using the gym in the Watershed you have to get your gear out of the dressing room then down a flight of stairs and find another locker for your gear after using a cubical to change in.

Ormonde is fine, but I think it's very run down, the changing rooms, steam room and the sauna need a good overhaul but the prices are reasonable,but there is a problem of theft in the mens changing rooms(I know 3 people who had things stolen on them) probably because you can't lock the lockers.

I think Hotel Kilkenny is the best overall for facilities not too sure what the price is now or what their payment options are.

Not a member of a gym now but thinking of rejoining soon.

Granted that a lot of the lockers are broken, but there are lockers that do lock. I've been using the gym for years and haven't been a victim of theft, maybe I'm just lucky and/or careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I'm a member in the Newpark and find it excellent. Gym itself is not massive but there is never an issue with access to cardio/weights equipment. The pool area is the best of any gym in KK, it has an outdoor infinity pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi & plunge pool. They also run several classes every day which are free for members...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I am also moving to Kilkenny.
    Looks like I would go to Watershed gym. Are the lockers safe there? I read on this thread Ormonde had some issues...

I am also moving to Kilkenny.
    Looks like I would go to Watershed gym. Are the lockers safe there? I read on this thread Ormonde had some issues...

You can lock the lockers in the Watershed no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Thanks for all of the replies. Will have to look into it once I move down and figure out who won't charge me too much for a 3 month membership!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Far as i know hotel kilkenny only accept 12 month memberships

• Advertisement

what about watershed gym?
    Far as i know hotel kilkenny only accept 12 month memberships

what about watershed gym?

See link in post no. 2 in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'll be back home for a week in April. I'm thinking of going to the Newpark for a few sessions. What kind of free weights have they got there? Squat rack? Dumbbells? Or is it all machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

thelad95 wrote: »
    Granted that a lot of the lockers are broken, but there are lockers that do lock. I've been using the gym for years and haven't been a victim of theft, maybe I'm just lucky and/or careful.

I too have been training in the Ormonde for years. I leave my bags in the weightroom beside the squat rack and never had a problem. I would never risk leaving them in the lockers down stairs with the crowd that does be in there some times.

In watershed, no issue with lockers. All safe n sound.

Jimmy: i just know about watershed, they have all sorts of free weights + machines too

Advertisement