Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So a thread about masturbating isn't allowed on AH but female ejaculation is?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And all the while, the S&S forum continues to be a ghost town...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Glad I'm banned.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I call shenanigans. >_>

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057238302

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057238436

The masturbation thread was far less graphic and far more educational in my view, and was of benefit to the entire human population as opposed to half of it ;)

Regardless of any educational qualities that the thread may possess (and I've read neither, so I can't comment on that), the masturbation thread was started by a well known re-reg troll. It's common practice to delete posts by people like that, and as a result the whole thread went when their OP was deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Zaph wrote: »
    Regardless of any educational qualities that the thread may possess (and I've read neither, so I can't comment on that), the masturbation thread was started by a well known re-reg troll. It's common practice to delete posts by people like that, and as a result the whole thread went when their OP was deleted.

Is that the best policy to be taking. Yes re-regs are a pox on the site but if a decent conversation manages to emanate from their verbal vomit then is it not letting them have their way by disrupting the site?

P_1 wrote: »
    Is that the best policy to be taking. Yes re-regs are a pox on the site but if a decent conversation manages to emanate from their verbal vomit then is it not letting them have their way by disrupting the site?

It would be just encouraging them in fairness.
    Presumably there's nothing stopping you from starting a thread?

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    It would be just encouraging them in fairness.
    Presumably there's nothing stopping you from starting a thread?

Well yes but a rehash of a thread that suddenly had the majority of it's posts vanish off into the ether isn't much of a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If I can catch them early enough, prefer deleting their posts, starve them of the oxygen they crave. Some are so prolific that's impossible though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    If I can catch them early enough, prefer deleting their posts, starve them of the oxygen they crave. Some are so prolific that's impossible though.

True some of them do tend to become problematic alright. The trouble is that sometimes a pretty decent debate springs from their OP. It just strikes me as a shame that sometimes some interesting threads (with good replies and whatnot) get nuked just purely on the basis that they were started by a re-reg. Tough one to call and seeing as I don't actually mod maybe it might be best if I just mind my own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

We need to do something about re-regs.

True some of them do tend to become problematic alright. The trouble is that sometimes a pretty decent debate springs from their OP. It just strikes me as a shame that sometimes some interesting threads (with good replies and whatnot) get nuked just purely on the basis that they were started by a re-reg. Tough one to call and seeing as I don't actually mod maybe it might be best if I just mind my own business.

Not at all, everyone's is entitled to their opinion. Feedback, and Boards, would be a very boring place if everyone just minded their own business. :)

As for deleting posts by re-regs, in general nothing much good comes from threads they start, so this one would be an exception rather than the norm. And when their posts are being deleted we generally just select all posts, we don't have time to read them all and see which ones might be worth keeping. As K-9 said, starving them of attention is generally the best way to deal with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jaysus no, feedback always welcome. Generally if a good discussion is coming of it I'd let it go. The quality of replies would be the determining factor for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Maybe the OP's heading and username could be changed and kept if it was a worthy thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

*lolcat*

:\

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

So how can you start the same thread again without knowing the specifics as to why it was deleted or closed? , because AFAIK starting a thread that is the same as one that is closed or deleted could be punishable.

weisses wrote: »
    So how can you start the same thread again without knowing the specifics as to why it was deleted or closed? , because AFAIK starting a thread that is the same as one that is closed or deleted could be punishable.

PM the forum mods and ask them if it's OK.

PM the forum mods and ask them if it's OK.

Not that I'm interested in starting that thread again, was more a general question, mods these days look busy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

weisses wrote: »
    Not that I'm interested in starting that thread again, was more a general question, mods these days look busy enough.

Nothing wrong in asking the question or linking back to this thread. Remember Mods are here to help their forums grow and if a thread like that serves that purpose then all the better.

Am with one of the earlier posters though - poor S&S - all alone... ;)

Not at all, everyone's is entitled to their opinion. Feedback, and Boards, would be a very boring place if everyone just minded their own business. :)

As for deleting posts by re-regs, in general nothing much good comes from threads they start, so this one would be an exception rather than the norm. And when their posts are being deleted we generally just select all posts, we don't have time to read them all and see which ones might be worth keeping. As K-9 said, starving them of attention is generally the best way to deal with them.

Just out of curiosity ... Why is below thread still open ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057240252

Not posting in it because i thought it would be deleted

The thread had been going a while before I discovered that the OP was a re-reg, and while normally we would delete a re-regs posts, given the subject matter it would have led to inevitable accusations of a cover up had I done so in this case. Some relevant questions about how the site operates were being asked, so I felt it was more important in this case to answer them as best I could rather than delete the OP. I know it's not consistent with my earlier comment but there'll always be the odd exception.

Advertisement