Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Grunge Songs

Options
  • 27-06-2014 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭

I always like doing top 5 lists. It makes me feel like Rob Gordon from High Fidelity. So I thought i'd give it try here. What are your top 5 grunge songs(If you're a grunge fan that is)?

Depending on how this thread do, I could probably do some other top 5 threads on other genres. But I'll stick to this for now.

1. Rooster - Alice in Chains
    2. Down In A Hole - Alice in Chains
    3. Heart Shaped Box- Nirvana
    4. Jeremy - Pearl Jam
    5. Creep - Stone Temple Pilots

I know it's going to be pretty tough, it's hard enough picking your favorite grunge songs from a single band, let alone a top 5 grunge songs list overall. But I thought it might provoke some serious thought and discussion.

For me, if I'm being honest, it was hard not to make them all Alice in Chains songs because I absolutely love Alice in Chains. But Heart Shaped Box and Jeremy in particular hold significance to me because they are among the first grunge songs that I listened to, and got be into the whole genre. As for Creep, I have a soft spot for that song.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

You're killing me here, having to pick my top 5...

Well like yourself I love Alice In chains so I'd normally put all them.

1. Got me wrong - Alice in chains
    2. River of Deceit - Mad Season
    3. Hungerstrike - Temple of the dog
    4. 4th of July - Soundgarden
    5. This is shangrila - Mother love bone

If I could add more more it would be:
    Mark Lanegan - Riding the Nightingale
    Screaming Trees - Nearly lost you
    Alice in chains - Grind
    Pearl Jam - Oceans
    Stone temple pilots - interstate love song
    Blind Melon - No rain

Ah yeah it just goes on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

1. Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick
    2. Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick
    3. Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick
    4. Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick
    5. Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

1. Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick
    2. Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick
    3. Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick
    4. Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick
    5. Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick

double_facepalm.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

AIC - Them Bones
    Soundgarden - Room a Thousand Years Wide
    Nirvana - Sliver
    L7 - Andres
    Babes In Toyland - Bruise Violet

STP, grunge? Not for me in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Tabnabs wrote: »
    AIC - Them Bones
    Soundgarden - Room a Thousand Years Wide
    Nirvana - Sliver
    L7 - Andres
    Babes In Toyland - Bruise Violet

STP, grunge? Not for me in all honesty.

Well their earlier work was grunge, but they've visited other areas as well. I suppose it would be like identifying Metallica as a thrash metal band, but Metallica have explored other areas too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

1/. Smashing Pumpkins -XYU
    2/.Nirvana - Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle
    3/. Nine Black Alps - Unsatisfied
    4/. Weezer - Photograph
    5/. Hole - 20 Years In The Dakota

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I tend to debate whether grunge is an actual musical genre or just a lazy label to group any band that came out of Seattle/Washington in the late 80's/early 90's. It's a lot different than, say, hardcore punk which had a distinct sound and was not regionalised.

You had bands like Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees who sounded nothing like Nirvana and Mudhoney. You also had bands like The Smashing Pumpkins who were lumped in with grunge simply because they emerged around the same time and were influenced by the Pixies soft/loud dynamic like Nirvana were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Well their earlier work was grunge, but they've visited other areas as well.

Please define grunge??? For me it's all rock music.

Your question would be better phrased as 'Name your top 5 songs by popular 1990s American alternative rock bands'

And for me some of my favourites are:

1. Alice in chains - junkhead
    2. Pearl jam - go
    3. Soundgarden - searching with my good eye closed
    4. Screaming trees - nearly lost you
    5. Temple of the dog - chloe dancer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Your question would be better phrased as 'Name your top 5 songs by popular 1990s American alternative rock bands'

You see, for me, Alternative was a very distinctive genre separate from Rock. I wouldn't consider Dinosaur Jr, Pavement, Sugar, SP, Breeders, Belly, Jane's Addiction et. al.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

1. Smells like Teen Spirit is the best and defining grunge song of all time.
    2. Blackhole Sun, Soundgarden
    3. Them Bones Alice in Chains
    4. Evenflow Pearl Jam
    5. Cherub Rock, The Smashing Pumpkins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

I think you mean Mother love bone :)

As for what is grunge it was just a made up word by mudhoney's lead singer. But everyone knows the word grunge.

Grunge can mean all types of bands to all types of people mainly Nirvana.

But sure who cares, what some people don't think is "defined grunge" could be for you and the other way around. I say just enjoy the music!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

2. Pearl jam - go

Indeed - this makes for a more expansive wedge of music to choose from!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Evan Bruton

1.Nirvana-All Apologies
    2.Soundgarden-4th of July
    3.Alice in Chains-Rain when I die
    4.Pearl Jam-Last Exit
    5.Screaming trees-Subtle poison

Jesus that was one of the hardest questions ever, number 6 would be hunger strike by Temple of the Dog, just had to get that in there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

2. Pearl jam - go

Sorry I assumed Grunge was an easy enough that it didn't need to be described. Grunge is a term used for the sub genre of alternative rock that rose to fame in the early 1990's. In essence it really is just a name(Or a marketing term) used for the alternative music scene that came to prominence in Seattle and other parts of Washington, but it's open to interpretation I suppose. I mean alternative rock is pretty broad, there are various bands that fall under the alternative rock banner, but aren't necessarily grunge bands as well. Punk music for instance is labeled alternative rock, but whatever.

But yeah basically it's just top 5 songs from alternative rock bands, coined as grunge or where apart of the grunge scene.

Advertisement