Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house that had pyrite remediation work

Options
  • 27-06-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Currently thinking about buying a house that had pyrite work. Buying from the builder directly. Price, location and size are excellent. There are second-hand houses in the same estate for sale a around the same price as well, but thinking of going with one that had work done rather than a second hand that might or might not be impacted by pyrite and living in the 'unknown'.

What type of insurance should I ask to guarantee the work? Is there any type of pyrite-free certificate that I should ask? How legally binding are they, ie: am I covered if there are still problems down the line in a few years?

I'm going to go with a pre-purchase survey in any case, I would appreciate any advice on picking or asking the right questions to the engineer that would do the survey.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Get a thorough survey done.
    I'm not aware that there is any 'pyrite insurance' you can buy- historically there has been a levy on the building industry to make good issues- such as pyrite- but that fund went bust years ago.

The only way of having confidence in your purchase- is by having a thorough survey done. Bring in a surveyor yourself- who is familiar with pyrite and its issues- and make sure its as detailed and independent a survey as possible. Do not rely on the builder's survey.......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'd be more inclined to get in an engineer (fully insured) rather than a surveyor .
    Every home in priory hall was passed by surveyors working either for the homeowner or the bank.
    Don't be afraid to ask to see a valid insurance policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Whats the worst case scenario....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

beauf wrote: »

Botch repair job that visually looks ok for 4 or 5 years and then the house goes in to an uninhabitable wreck and can never be sold for anything near purchase price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That's quite a risk imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

beauf wrote: »

After the house starts to fall apart- the insurance is deemed null and void- and the owner is on the hook for the complete costs of restoration and remedial works. Good luck getting any of this back from the compensation fund (which is bankrupt).

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

What if someone bought a second hand house known to have pyrite?
    The redress board are engaged with the whole estate at the moment.
    But if you were to buy the house, nice and cheap, before the redress board have fixed it - would you get yours fixed up by the redress board too, or would they tell you to go and jump since you bought after they were engaged?

And, if you were to just go ahead and get the pyrite problem fixed yourself, roughly how much would you be talking?

Advertisement