Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange looking wasp like insect

• 27-06-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

hi all i dont no if this is the correct place to post this but we have found a nest in an old colsed off chimmely in the house of insects which look like wasps but are much darker, they dont have bright yellow strips more of a dusky colour, they are almost black, but have the same wasp shape, any ideas??? kinda scared as they wer coming down a hole into the house and although its now borded up they are outside and we have small kids so would like to know if they sting whatever they are

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

caitb1 wrote: »
    hi all i dont no if this is the correct place to post this but we have found a nest in an old colsed off chimmely in the house of insects which look like wasps but are much darker, they dont have bright yellow strips more of a dusky colour, they are almost black, but have the same wasp shape, any ideas??? kinda scared as they wer coming down a hole into the house and although its now borded up they are outside and we have small kids so would like to know if they sting whatever they are

Could you take a picture of one?

Do they fly?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitb1

ya they fly dont see any of them around at the moment, defo not wasps landlord doesnt have a clue wat they are either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

They are most likely immature wasps from a nest that has been destroyed in some way.

The larvae are replusive-looking grey wasps and cannot fly.

I sprayed a nest in my shed once and months later threw the nest on the fire only to have these creatures crawl out!

Advertisement