Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Niche gamestores in ireland.

Options
  • 27-06-2014 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Just after watching that one alphaomegasin about the local video game store closing. Its got me wondering outside of multinationals, tesco, emulators, online and xtra vision is there any video game stores that sell retro, current and old games (but not old as it retro) but are still just independent stores. Or as alphaomegasin and other americans call it mom and pop stores.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Just after watching that one alphaomegasin about the local video game store closing. Its got me wondering outside of multinationals, tesco, emulators, online and xtra vision is there any video game stores that sell retro, current and old games (but not old as it retro) but are still just independent stores. Or as alphaomegasin and other americans call it mom and pop stores.

Rage on Fade st. In Dublin. Prices are outrageous though. And there's a place on tolbot st too near connelly station

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bookmart and Gamesexhange on Talbot St has good value, but you'll have to root about a bit.
    Check out the various charity shops too.
    Over on the Arcade and Retro forum we have a marketplace for just such things, but you need a post count of at least 50 to use it, otherwise you will have your requests, ads and offers deleted.
    Super Hoshi is a great store, it is based on Abbey Street, in the back of a pub/cafe there a couple of days a week, he has a more readily contactable presence on Facebook, just search and message him there, he stocks a great range of Japanese imports, I picked up a few bits from him at great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Super Hoshi is a great store, it is based on Abbey Street, in the back of a pub/cafe there a couple of days a week, he has a more readily contactable presence on Facebook, just search and message him there, he stocks a great range of Japanese imports, I picked up a few bits from him at great prices.

That's closed, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mom and Pop is brick and mortar without the corporate bull****.

the real mecca of retro gaming is the flea markets, where 80s and 90s and 00s era games go to pasture. I've caught many a good deal at them in the past, like finding the parts needed to resurrect my SNES. Brand new copies of Mario RPG, interestingly, still retail for at or above their original MSRP, especially unsealed.

gog.com though is probably the most reliable repository for old PC games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Overheal wrote: »
    Mom and Pop is brick and mortar without the corporate bull****.

the real mecca of retro gaming is the flea markets, where 80s and 90s and 00s era games go to pasture. I've caught many a good deal at them in the past, like finding the parts needed to resurrect my SNES. Brand new copies of Mario RPG, interestingly, still retail for at or above their original MSRP, especially unsealed.

gog.com though is probably the most reliable repository for old PC games.

Not here you don't.
    Markets are all spent of Megadrive and Snes goodness, they have moved on a few generations and are full of 360, PS3 and Wii tat.
    If you are lucky you might see a busted Xbox or PS2.
    Poor pickings indeed.
    Of course there is the occasional gem, but in the main they are gone.

The proliferation of free online small ads means that more people use those now to shift old games and consoles, so Gumtree, Done Deal and Adverts.ie, not to mention Ebay is where it's really at, unfortunately.

I friend of mine found a boxed C64 and Megadrive in her attic. Despite not knowing anything much about them she knew enough to check values online and to try to sell them through one of the mentioned sales points.
    10 years ago she would have sold them at a market.

• Advertisement
Advertisement