Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disturbing things you did as a child?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

when I was 11 I tried to make hot chocolate by boiling milk in the kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Adena

Oooh, what did your mum say?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fitzy211

i used to eat the odd bit of firelighters because i loved the smell. Got really upset another evening when i didn't like the dinner my granny made and in an effort to make her feel sorry for me, i ate a bit of a hedge. One christmas i systematically broke all the baubles on a christmas tree with my brother by playing hurling with them because I loved the noise they made when they shattered (years later my mam still only buys plastic decorations).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

fitzy211 wrote: »
    Got really upset another evening when i didn't like the dinner my granny made and in an effort to make her feel sorry for me, i ate a bit of a hedge.

Im dying :D:D

• Site Banned Posts: 65 ✭✭Cerveja69

fitzy211 wrote: »
    i used to eat the odd bit of firelighters because i loved the smell. Got really upset another evening when i didn't like the dinner my granny made and in an effort to make her feel sorry for me, i ate a bit of a hedge. One christmas i systematically broke all the baubles on a christmas tree with my brother by playing hurling with them because I loved the noise they made when they shattered (years later my mam still only buys plastic decorations).

That's adorable <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

This did not happen to me but I guy I know tried to steal is mothers car to go for a spin, he crashed the car into a wall, and instead of telling her , he ripped out a load of wires and told her the car was hotwired

That shows initiative to be fair.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Used to chase rabbits around the local graveyard with a hammer and other such heavy blunt instruments. We would hit them on the head and kill them. To be fair they all had myxomatosis and were dopey as heck and they weren't hard to catch.

Also made a go-cart out of a 45 gallon oil drum laid on its side and a hole cut out of the side with a hacksaw blade so we could pop our head out. Luckily it never cut anyone's head clear off when we had a few crashes in it.

Finally for tonight was one I am not too proud of as I believe it turned the poor guy in to a nervous wreck and caused him to leave our school as he was being bullied....
    We were in boarding school and we would collect baby hedgehogs and place them in this guy's bed. They would be removed before he actually got in to bed but the fleas and other things remained in the bed. He had a torid time trying to make us stop calling him a dirty so and so.... It went on for a while along with other stuff and eventually he left the school....
    Not proud of being involved in that bullying episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭bagofweasels

The male reproductive system was next in Biology (back when whiteboards were taking over from chalk). We switched the whiteboard marker for a permanent one - I'll never forget the poor student teacher's face when she couldn't erase her very precise drawing of an erect penis before the principal nun's first year class came in. We were rotten, nasty bitches!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

thelad95 wrote: »
    Also, we were about to set up a tightrope over a slurry pit but his Dad caught us and made me go home. I wasn't allowed back there for weeks. When I think back to what could have happened, we were so stupid.

Reminds me of that farm safety video, 'Apaches'.

Most of the dumb things I did involved fire. I used to love melting foamed polystyrene in petrol to make a sort of improvised napalm.
    I melted lead in the kitchen. Mixed vinegar and bleach in a jar on top of some wire wool to make it rust (was making thermite), not advisable indoors as it released chlorine gas amongst other things.
    Made a mortar with friends that fired stones using black cat bangers as the propellant.
    I also set a fire in a hollowed out coconut half and held it on front of the bathroom mirror to proclaim myself the god of fire. It burnt me and I dropped it on the carpet (yes, in a bathroom).

You could say I was a little bit of a pyromaniac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

when I was 5 or 6 I climbed up the side of my bunkbed and reached over to the top of the wardrobe, it had a section at the top with a seperate door. I got the belt from my dressing gown and made a noose, wanted to see what it was like to hang myself. I was in the room alone and dropped to the floor after maybe 5 seconds as it luckily couldnt hold my weight. dont think I ever told anyone about it, my parents never knew.

That is so scary!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

We did some what could be called bold or bizarre behaviour. Funny and silly. We were brought up though, and these are the words used "never to cause pain to any of God's creatures" Some of the stuff in there like below for example would just turn my stomach.

yes there wrote: »

They had a dog which had a few pups. Shortly later they built a ring and put the pups inside of it and kicked them to death. They also allegedly nearly killed a woman while playing with bow and arrows

This has upset me. If anyone I knew did that, be they young, old, dead or alive, father, mother, sister, brother I'd let them know in no uncertain terms what I thought of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

dutopia wrote: »
    • Tested traps from the 'SAS Survival Guide' on my pet rabbit. Lucky I wasn't that great at making them

Another John Wiseman acolyte?
    30 years later I can still recall all the sections.
    Disappointed I never got to try the nuclear fallout recommendations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

I think we've all savagely beaten our siblings at one point, my brother and I had many a bloody brawl. Being older I'd usually get the better of him and looking back probably went overboard at times. I'm a quiet person and tend to bottle a lot in, so when I explode it's red mist stuff

My sister was a right tough nut in her day also, very easy to rise but by god would she make you pay for it.

Was kind of speed reading through this page and read this sentence the same way. Until I spat my cornflakes out when I realised some kind of incestual prostitution was being admitted, I read "easy to rise" as easy to ride! Jaysus, nearly fell of my chair.:pac:

Tbh, I'm Surprised, and frankly disappointed that their not more stories of nightmare ridden children arriving into parents rooms unannounced and bearing witness to some old school fornication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

katemarch wrote: »
    Funniest thread I've ever seen on these forums, ah the memories!!
    Chortling over every second story!

We used to dare each other to walk up the OUTSIDE of an external stairs to the second floor of the local scout hall: (must have been the fire escape?) - there was a forest of nettles underneath it, too...we had to sort of grip our toes into tiny chinks while clinging to the rail with our hands...nobody ever fell, luckily.

And there definitely was a plan to drop my two-year-old little brother from our bedroom window onto a mattress.
    We actually wrote notes inviting neighbour children to come and watch! and he DID get dropped!
    But someone snitched to our mother and there was blue murder about the whole business for a while
    The child was unharmed, though.

I find it more disturbing that you refer to him as "The child was unharmed, though." rather than as "My brother", something you'd like to share with us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I had 3 sisters and 2 brothers growing up and I don't recall any of us ever being aggressive or hitting each other in the whole of my childhood. You guys are weirds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I held my dog by the tail and swung him around and around when I was 5 .... I still feel guilty about it - especially the way afterwards he came up to me and was licking me - such loyalty :(

heart breaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

Mickey drips - lighting bits of plastic with a lighter and watching the drips fall :o

My Dad once had a signed cardboard thingy of some footballer he loved, I ate it on him!

Told my Aunt that my mam said she was a bitch and caused world war 3... She didn't call her a bitch:(

lit rolls of toilet roll in the sink.

Called the lovely little old man in the corner shop a mongo because he didn't know what halls soothers were.

When I was sent up to said old man that owned the shops for smokes for my mother, I'd ask him for drugs ( I was told by someone that smokes were drugs):mad:

Used to collect bees in a jar, smashed a jar full of bees in the local shopping centre when I was with my Mam.

Thought dandelions really did make you wet the bed, so I put a gigantic bunch into my grandmothers bed one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I dont if disturbing, but wierd for the age I was which was about 5 or 6 I think, but myself and my best friend at the time (girl) 'playing' with each other in that way and pretending we were in a sexy scene in a movie (which really didnt mean much at that time as I wouldnt have seen many obv :p) , nothing really mad happened just a lot of closed mouth kissing and feeling about, to this day I just think 'Why was I doing that?! ' :confused::P

Guess I was a horny child, as well as a horny adult :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

cloud493 wrote: »
    I had 3 sisters and 2 brothers growing up and I don't recall any of us ever being aggressive or hitting each other in the whole of my childhood. You guys are weirds.

Maybe the parents did the whipping? C'mon there has to be something :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fitzy211

Thought dandelions really did make you wet the bed, so I put a gigantic bunch into my grandmothers bed one day.

:D

• Advertisement

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    I dont if disturbing, but wierd for the age I was which was about 15 or 16 I think, but myself and my best friend at the time (girl) 'playing' with each other in that way and pretending we were in a sexy scene in a movie (which really didnt mean much at that time as I wouldnt have seen many obv :p) , nothing really mad happened just a lot of closed mouth kissing and feeling about, to this day I just think 'Why was I doing that?! ' :confused::P

Guess I was a horny child, as well as a horny adult :D

Now that story is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

When I was about 5 I kicked the babysitter in the shin because she gave out to me for not finishing my dinner.

This one makes me feel awful. I was 7ish and at my friends house. I was running around the garden with her dog on his lead and I pulled the lead up so that the dog was hanging from his collar :(

Another dog related one - was pushing my little brother around the estate in his buggy when a few dogs came over to us. I got scared and ran home, leaving him there sitting in his buggy :o The dogs were harmless, thankfully. I don't know why I got scared :rolleyes:

I was really mad at my sister one time so I got needles from our mothers sewing box and stuck them in her duvet.

My cousin used to throw her dog over the hedge on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I used to help my school chemistry teacher manufacture crystal meth in a mobile home in the Dublin mountains on weekends.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Playing Doctors and nursers with the cousin.

But sure we've all done that right?

right?....

On a different note, why is it that "playing doctors and nurses" inevitably means some sort of weird prepubescent sexual experimentation? Did no-one just clumsily put a friend's arm in a sling, or put on a fake "bandage", without any erotic overtones? Or did I just miss out?

Nice try fisherman :pac:

Pushing out the jive...reeling in the love...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Maybe the parents did the whipping? C'mon there has to be something :eek:

Worse thing I remember doing is taking the VHS of lethal weapon I was told never ever to watch and watching it.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Worse thing I remember doing is taking the VHS of lethal weapon I was told never ever to watch and watching it.

Part 1 or 2? Big difference. One has Joe Pesci and a nasty South African dude, I can still hear his ugly voice a decade later before he gets a sunroof blasted through his grill.

"Dip-lo-mat-ic imm-un-ity"

BLAAAAM!!!!!

"Has jus' bin revoked!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Mickey drips - lighting bits of plastic with a lighter and watching the drips fall

I still have a scar on the back of my hand from a micky dripper-if you got hit by a drip there was literally nothing you could do except scream in agony till it cooled down because it stuck to your skin. Probably the scummiest thing I did was chop open an (already dead) rat in half with a hatchet when I was about 8- its belly burst open and about 10 little pink baby rats fell out.

Right that's it. I'm off to bed :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

one day me and my brother were playing a game with a carveing knife. throwing the knife in the air in my garden to try get it to land and stick in the ground . one throw it went into the neighbors garden and they had just had a baby which was in its pram in the garden.I missed the baby by only by a foot or two ; ) .

a couple of years after that me and my brother had a row id say i was maybe 12 he was 10 at the time. i cant remeber what the row was even about but he grabbed a knife and chased me with it. i ran up the stairs and he threw the knife at me luckily dived out of the way. the knife hit a picture of Jesus on the landing and knocked it off the wall : )

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sull576

Made a go cart fly down a hill straight into my sister when I was 8 and trying to convience my parents it was an accident afterwards. At 11 I tried my reversing skills on a 3.1 litre Trooper nearly capsizing on a ditch while my dad watched in tears of his beloved jeep nearly destroyed. The joys of living on a farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I used to eat cat treats, they were quite tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Can't believe I forgot this one. I somehow convinced my brother to pee on an electric fence when we were smaller. Let's just say he got too close for comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I used to eat cat treats, they were quite tasty.

We'd ask the local priest could we bring his dog out for walks, and then eat his dogs treats:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Lotus2014

Jumped into a pool with armbands on my legs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

woodturner wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot this one. I somehow convinced my brother to pee on an electric fence when we were smaller. Let's just say he got too close for comfort.

So, to this day he has a permanent electric burn scar on his mickey?? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Was talking to my cousin about this thread and she told me that when she was about 6 or 7 she had a bad dream and woke up in the middle of the night and went into her parents.

She caught them in the act.

Her father said he was giving her CPR, why he chose this I don't know.

Cousin left the room, balling, called 911 on the landlind and said her father was giving her mother CPR in the bed!

Needless to say they weren't please when an ambulance showed up!

Why can I have good stories like this? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

buyer95 wrote: »
    Tbh, I'm Surprised, and frankly disappointed that their not more stories of nightmare ridden children arriving into parents rooms unannounced and bearing witness to some old school fornication.
    Was talking to my cousin about this thread and she told me that when she was about 6 or 7 she had a bad dream and woke up in the middle of the night and went into her parents.

She caught them in the act.

Her father said he was giving her CPR, why he chose this I don't know.

Cousin left the room, balling, called 911 on the landlind and said her father was giving her mother CPR in the bed!

Needless to say they weren't please when an ambulance showed up!

Why can I have good stories like this? :(

Now this is what I was talking about. I would presume most of us have been scared in some way by seeing or even hearing what we should not have in our youth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

House key in the VCR (the only house key at the time). Jam sandwich also in the VCR. VCRs were expensive back then too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I punched a nun in the face.
    Also another about 60yo staff member that did the same to me.

She was beaten the cr@p out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Some great stories here!

When I was really young (maybe 4 or so) I used to love going to the playground and playing with other kids. So one day I make a friend and we're on the swings or whatever and her mother decides its time to take her home. Well, I wasn't having any of that so to stop her I decided to be a triceratops and charged at her and headbutted her in the legs!

When I was about 6 or 7 I had a horrible teacher who just didn't like me. She used to give me lines every single day. No idea what her problem was because I was normally the 'good' kid in school. Anyway, at the end of that year we were doing a school play and all my class were dressed as indians. Before the play we were all running around the schoolyard playing with our bows and arrows when the teacher appeared in the yard. So what else could I do other than stop and take aim at her head with an arrow? I got her too! :D

Another time I was at home and I had this toy laptop. It had all these games and lessons and stuff on it. It ate batteries like mad so I was told to use the mains adapter with it. Grand job. Then one day I was going downstairs and wanted to take the laptop with me. So I disconnected the adapter from the laptop and, because my hands were full, stuck the end of it in my mouth. I can still remember the taste and the pain. :(

My mother was going to a funeral one day and for whatever reason I insisted on going with her..................................dressed as the red power ranger. Cue me running down the aisle doing karate kicks and whatnot while some poor family were in mourning. I still don't know why she actually let me go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

KH25 wrote: »
    My mother was going to a funeral one day and for whatever reason I insisted on going with her..................................dressed as the red power ranger. Cue me running down the aisle doing karate kicks and whatnot while some poor family were in mourning. I still don't know why she actually let me go....

Hahaha brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Got worms from the garden using fairy liquid to make them come up, then hung 20 of them to the washing line with clothes pegs and watched the birds eat them :*(

Also took the wings off a bluebottle one morning. That night my father went mental because a wingless bluebottle crawled up his arm while watching the news at nine, he who knew who did it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭LeonardNelson

I put a bubblegum on my teacher's chair. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Committed insect genocide, worms,ants,wasps,flies,woodlice, snails and slugs, had a lot of fun as a child killing things which makes me worried thinking back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

My sister used to keep a diary but was foolish enough not to keep it locked away , she was 13/14 at the time. I used to sneak into her room and read the diary, learn passages from it and recite them at the dinner table where everyone would break their bolloxs laughing and she would flee to her room humiliated and in tears. In it she would declare her love for different guys, a classmate, a PE teacher, one of dads friends. I would threaten to tell them what she wrote about them. I remember talking to the PE teacher one day in school during games and she saw us from a distance, so i pointed randomly towards her as I spoke to him to infer that I was talking about her. I can still see the look of fear on her face. I really was a horrible child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I burned my sister with a hot iron , don't think you can get worse than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

When I was a kid, like 7 or so, my older sister and I convinced my little sister that we had sweets... and asked her to close her eyes and open her mouth --- placed a dried out maggot worm, inch worm fish wood?, in there.... her reaction was priceless, from happy joyful expression to mortified silence XD

We were generally good kids though as far as I can remember, with the odd quarrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Fluxfan

Cousin left the room, balling, called 911 on the landlind and said her father was giving her mother CPR in the bed! :(

...Not to be a pedantic pat but unless they were in the states the emergency number is 999. I have come across situations where people have been caught out with this and thats not good!

I used to trap hundreds of lady birds in a hollow childs shovel that I had (you could pull off the handle and it was basically just a pipe then). I genuinely thought I was making their lives better by putting them into my ladybird zoo. It took me months to realise I had a lot of dead ladybirds to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

I tied a string to a bee and flew it like a kite.... it actually worked surprisingly well.

Felt bad afterwards when it flew away without freeing it :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement