Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Ragworms on Shoreline.

Options
  • 27-06-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

I have always bought my ragworm for fishing as I would not be a person who would fish on a regular basis but I have two sons who have decided that they want to fish and so I decided that we would collect our ragworm instead of buying from a bait shop.
    We set of today (low tide) and started looking out for the hole which tell you where the ragworm are (googled it). No holes and then a small one or two but what I began to notice was little stalks coming out of the sand and I started digging at these stalks and what I was digging up were dead ragworm and I mean there were were hundreds maybe thousands of dead ragworms and some very small live ones.. These worms seemed to have died with there heads out of their burrow when the tide was in.
    Is this a natural ocurrance or should I be concerned that something else is responsible for this.(pollution of some sort)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

terenc wrote: »
    I have always bought my ragworm for fishing as I would not be a person who would fish on a regular basis but I have two sons who have decided that they want to fish and so I decided that we would collect our ragworm instead of buying from a bait shop.
    We set of today (low tide) and started looking out for the hole which tell you where the ragworm are (googled it). No holes and then a small one or two but what I began to notice was little stalks coming out of the sand and I started digging at these stalks and what I was digging up were dead ragworm and I mean there were were hundreds maybe thousands of dead ragworms and some very small live ones.. These worms seemed to have died with there heads out of their burrow when the tide was in.
    Is this a natural ocurrance or should I be concerned that something else is responsible for this.(pollution of some sort)

I think what you were digging where bloodworms, I think that's the name of them anyway, they leave a hard cast shell type thing after they borrow...

Usually when you find these type of worm its a good sign that there might by white rag there also as they feed on the bloodworms...

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Thanks danbrosnan,
    I will keep digging.

Advertisement