Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I Sell?

Options
  • 28-06-2014 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

So I have a 01 Ford Fiesta Ghia 1.2something and I'm wondering should I sell it. Mechanically it doesn't really give trouble but I'm noticing a lot of rust (which is common in these models apparently) My question is: Should I sell it now before the rust really becomes a negative when trying to sell later on.

Side note: I live beside the sea.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

When's the NCT due, keep it until the next test anyway, and see if it's worth keeping then. It's not going to be worth an awful lot, and if it has a lot of rust, it's not going to be something that someone will want to inherit. My aunt was in the same situation last year, she decided to keep it, and if you seen the fail list for it this year, 15 items it went down on - a good few to do with rust, a lot of which progressed within the past year. Now she's on the lookout for a different car - probably will scrap her fiesta or sell it for parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,580 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would keep it until its an nct fail. Any rust will put off a potential buyer, possibly too late and costly to repair now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The thing is your car is worth very very little and rust problems will only decrease it's value further. You'd be lucky to get a few hundred euro for it and so you may as well hold onto it and get the remaining value from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

NCT is another couple of months away. All the rust is hidden though apart from one little patch at the bottom of the drivers door. So ye reckon I should hold onto it? Would I not even get 800-900€ for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

9bred4 wrote: »
    NCT is another couple of months away. All the rust is hidden though apart from one little patch at the bottom of the drivers door. So ye reckon I should hold onto it? Would I not even get 800-900€ for it?

Probably not to be honest.

The money you will get for the car depends on condition, milage, spec etc. Trust me whoever comes to look at the car will spot the rust & if its exstensive will either offer you silly money or move on to the next. There are loads of Fiestas on the market but the Ghia spec might give you some leverage.

Put it on Done Deal to see if theres any interest in it but ultimately as others have said the best option is to just hang on to it till it fails the NCT. Its a lot less hassle than getting lots of people coming to look at your car and then walking away after they spot the rust.

• Advertisement

Probably not to be honest.

The money you will get for the car depends on condition, milage, spec etc. Trust me whoever comes to look at the car will spot the rust & if its exstensive will either offer you silly money or move on to the next. There are loads of Fiestas on the market but the Ghia spec might give you some leverage.

Put it on Done Deal to see if theres any interest in it but ultimately as others have said the best option is to just hang on to it till it fails the NCT. Its a lot less hassle than getting lots of people coming to look at your car and then walking away after they spot the rust.

Yeah I guess you're right. Might just hang on until it decides to give up on me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Its pretty worthless to be honest, regardless of the rust. Its worth more to you so long as its mechanically sound. Keep it, hope it passes the nct. They're a good car, nice engine and reliable. Rust is fine if its superficial!

Yeah it's all superficial. Might just give it to the mother when I plan on getting a new one.

Its pretty worthless to be honest, regardless of the rust.

Nah a mint 2001 fiesta will get you a few bob alright, around a grand. If its got an NCT its not worthless.

Nah a mint 2001 fiesta will get you a few bob alright, around a grand. If its got an NCT its not worthless.

Has NCT and about 100k miles on it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Be hard pused to find a 13 year old mint festa thats not suffering from rust and only a nct away from failing nct because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Yeah it's all superficial. Might just give it to the mother when I plan on getting a new one.
    superficial on the outside maybe. I bet the other side of that metal is well rotten though.

An awful lot of 2001 cars will have a bit of hidden superficial rust in all fairness.
    visual wrote: »
    Be hard pused to find a 13 year old mint festa thats not suffering from rust and only a nct away from failing nct because of it.

Have a look on DD. Theres quite a few low milage very tidy examples around. Heres one to start: http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/01-ford-fiesta-nct-15/6917783

A tidy example with a decent bit of NCT is nowhere near worthless. To be clear im not referring to the OP's car which sounds a wee bit rough and due an NCT shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

The fiesta and KA of that age are rust buckets it only a question when the paint blisters and the rust becomes visible on top.

The reason they fail NCT is because of serious rust underneath that makes them unroad worthy and uneconomic to repair.

fiesta was a grand little car but it's no longer a wise buy.

You really need it up on ramps and possibly a power wash to property inspect underside.

There is plenty of different brands that will have little to no rust issues

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You could go for nct now if there is only 2 months left on cert as you are allowed to go 3 months early.
    If it passes, you have a tested car for 14 months or alternatively a car will long test that will sell for reasonable cash.
    If it fails, its worth little.

Lads how come ads on DD for the exact same car, some with far more milage, are for sale for €1000 + ? I thought ye said it was scrap?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

they may not be suffering from rust.

it's also worth noting that these cars may not be selling at those prices. at this stage, with the absolute newest mk5 being 12 years old i think i can safely say i doubt i'd pay over €1k even for a spotless example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Most of them will have a decent NCT, which obviously means the car is mint, thus the seller can charge a lot more than the average fiesta :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

They are selling well atm with the fiesta races in mondello. Should be the correct shape being an 01. Keep it until the test is out and advertise it on the motorsport forums for racing.

Advertisement