Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn mucus tips!

Options
  • 28-06-2014 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

First time mum here, just wondering if anybody has any tips on how to deal with mucus in a newborn, any tips or tricks that eased the problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I bought one of the little bulbs that are supposed to suck out the mucus but it never worked for me. I have seen them work for other babies though.
    Nasal spray (saline) did work for me though. Just be ready with the tissues as a lot of it will flow back down the nose.
    Also worth trying a few drops of eucalyptus oil on cotton wool near the cot (I didn't need to use this until my girl was a few months old so don't know if it's recommended for newborns)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Are you talking about nasal mucus or the mucus that they bring up from their stomach in the early days?

If it's the first emer_b's advice is great. If it's the second, just lots of winding and patience.. it'll be gone within a couple of days. One tip I was given by a midwife was to heat the bottle (if you're bottle feeding), as it makes the mucus easier to get up, but they get used to the warm bottles then and won't take it at room temp!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Dreamer21

January wrote: »
    Are you talking about nasal mucus or the mucus that they bring up from their stomach in the early days?

If it's the first emer_b's advice is great. If it's the second, just lots of winding and patience.. it'll be gone within a couple of days. One tip I was given by a midwife was to heat the bottle (if you're bottle feeding), as it makes the mucus easier to get up, but they get used to the warm bottles then and won't take it at room temp!

Yeah it's the mucus from her stomach. She is only 4 days old, but is chocking on it, just worries me at night, I sit up watching her. I might try heating her night feeds, I never thought about that, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Keeping there head elevated in there basket like with reflux baby helps.. Advice I was given in hospital just stick cushion under the basket at the head of it.. It passes fairly quick.. Congrats on your baby and enjoy.. (I sat watching my first sleep and he had no mucus or reflux, my daughter was different story)

Keeping there head elevated in there basket like with reflux baby helps.. Advice I was given in hospital just stick cushion under the basket at the head of it.. It passes fairly quick.. Congrats on your baby and enjoy.. (I sat watching my first sleep and he had no mucus or reflux, my daughter was different story)

I have a clevamama baby pillow that my friend bought me today, I will try that tonight. Hopefully it won't last to long and her mucus stage will be over soon....thank you :)

• Advertisement

I think your doing everything natural so far its just stressful when its your first.. When you see other babies belonging to friends and so on you don't hear about these things unless you know to ask.. Its usually the cute and nice things you hear..

Yeah it's all so new to me, I never knew that a newborn had mucus. I be afraid that I wouldn't hear her if I went to sleep. My friend said that clear discharge/water from her nose is a sign that the mucus is breaking down and clearing

See its when you know what to ask people know to help.. Your doing fine and you will hear them trust me.. If you want more reasurrance and have the money there's a monitor with like a pressure matt that alarms when it senses something wrong.. (Can't say it why It goes off really couldn't bring myself to it but its worth the money)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Oh yez. I had very mucasy baba. Was in hosp just over 24 hrs with him. Went through 3 change of clothes for me 6 for him. Loads of muslins and bibs and blankets and sheets. And my bed even needed changing.

As synster said elevating the head of the crib/moses basket. The slightly warmer bottle does help , my guy prefers them warm now but will drink room temp if he has to. Lots of muslins everywhere so there is always one within reach. When changing nappy we used to try do it before a feed and again have head raised up. It will hopefully pass. My guy was unbelievable for first few days. Then calmed a bit but waa still spewy . Then totally went. At 3 months hardly ever spits up now.

See its when you know what to ask people know to help.. Your doing fine and you will hear them trust me.. If you want more reasurrance and have the money there's a monitor with like a pressure matt that alarms when it senses something wrong.. (Can't say it why It goes off really couldn't bring myself to it but its worth the money)

I must look into that monitor tomorrow, I know I'm probably over reacting but I can't help it, it's hard at when every thing is new to you, thank you so much for the advise :)

• Advertisement

Suucee wrote: »
    Oh yez. I had very mucasy baba. Was in hosp just over 24 hrs with him. Went through 3 change of clothes for me 6 for him. Loads of muslins and bibs and blankets and sheets. And my bed even needed changing.

As synster said elevating the head of the crib/moses basket. The slightly warmer bottle does help , my guy prefers them warm now but will drink room temp if he has to. Lots of muslins everywhere so there is always one within reach. When changing nappy we used to try do it before a feed and again have head raised up. It will hopefully pass. My guy was unbelievable for first few days. Then calmed a bit but waa still spewy . Then totally went. At 3 months hardly ever spits up now.

Yeah I'd be totally lost without the muslin squares, they are a life saver. Iv had her head raised and this seems to help, hopefully pass soon, it's scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Ps i have the angel care movement monitor. Even though this is baba no 2. He was tgat mucasy the fact i had the monitor was the only way i allowed my self to relax (a bit) to sleeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

If you don't want to put a pillow into the basket elevate the actual basket works too. My doc recommended it to me. Tilt it up with some sturdy books etc. - obviously making sure it is balanced and fully sturdy /safe
    And bring them into the bathroom when you're having a hot steamy shower

Advertisement