Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian/Vegan BBQ Recipes

Options
  • 28-06-2014 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Some recipes here on the guardian website. More vegetarian than vegan but not bad.

Personally I think the seitan-chickpea burger that the PPK does, with a dollop of guacamole and roasted sweet corn does the BBQ job quite nicely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'm going to be stealing these, I will be helping with a vegan BBQ workshop next weekend in Vondelpark. Don't suppose anyone is in Amsterdam then?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mouth watering!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Personally I think the seitan-chickpea burger that the PPK does, with a dollop of guacamole and roasted sweet corn does the BBQ job quite nicely.

Tell me more. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Tell me more. :D

Simples:

1 cup cooked chickpeas
    1/2 cup of vital wheat gluten
    1/4 cup cold vegetable stock
    1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
    2 cloves garlic minced
    2 tablespoons of soya sauce or tamari
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon dried sage
    Salt and pepper

Mix all the dry stuff together, then add the wet stuff, then knead for about 3-4 minutes, cut into 4 equal pieces and shape into a burger/patty/cutlet. Brush with oil and cook in the BBQ or griddle pan for about 5 mins a side (depending on how hot the barbe is). Serve with the aforementioned guacamole and roasted sweet corn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

you sir are a prince among men, unless you're anti-monarchy in which case you're an elected local official.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I love the idea of bbqing cauliflower - but I think I would cut the cauliflower into big slices rather than florets. But I might give the hazelnut butter a try.

I'm quite simple when it comes to bbqs, I'm quite happy with a bit of halloumi, or some marinated vegetable kebabs.

Corn on the Cob is a must obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Simples:

1 cup cooked chickpeas
    1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon dried sage
    Salt and pepper

Mix all the dry stuff together, then add the wet stuff, then knead for about 3-4 minutes, cut into 4 equal pieces and shape into a burger/patty/cutlet. Brush with oil and cook in the BBQ or griddle pan for about 5 mins a side (depending on how hot the barbe is). Serve with the aforementioned guacamole and roasted sweet corn.

I've been looking for another use for vital wheat gluten, cheers for this - will try this week and report back.

So for the vegan BBQ workshop we're planning..... hot dogs, homemade burgers, veg skewers, aubergine slices, cauliflower, potatoes, corn on the cob, hoummous, salad, guacamole, pesto pasta salad, homemade mayo, homemade BBQ sauce, and fruit skewers for dessert :) Sound like a plan? BBQ all the things basically!

We may or may not try this as well........... :D

23b7af49dee3ecbd438b2172dd657265.jpg

Looking for ideas of a nice healthy drink to make as well? Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Sweet but simple: Apple cucumber salad

Needed 4 Elstar apples
    1 cucumber
    vinegar
    3/4 tablespoons of mayonaise(where I live we have egg-free mayo) hence me posting it here
    1/2 teaspoons of mustard
    Dill

Mix the vinegar, mayonaise, mustard and dill till it's smooth. Chop the apples and cucumber in small, equal size pieces and mix in a large bowl. Let it chill in the fridge for about an hour and serve. Makes a great side dish or lunch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

My best friend is vegan and she started taking some cooking classes to know more recipes....we had a bbq yesterday and I can't get enough of these 2 dishes:

Zucchini pasta:
    --there are a tonnn of recipe ideas for this but she uses cashews for her 'alfredo' sauce and this was all I could find using that
    --she also uses a spiralizer to get the zucchini into noodles

Ingredients:

4 medium zucchini, peeled and sliced into thin noodles
    1 cup asparagus pieces
    2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
    8 ounces crimini mushrooms, roughly chopped
    2 ounces prosciutto (omit for vegan and add ¼ teaspoon salt)
    ½ cup frozen peas (omit if you’d like for Paleo)
    ½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
    1 cup raw cashews
    4 cups boiling water
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 garlic clove
    2 tablespoons chopped basil
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    dash of white pepper
    dash of nutmeg
    Garnish with toasted pine nuts and fresh basil
    Instructions:

Boil the 4 cups water, then pour it over the cashews. Soak them in the boiling water for 30 minutes.
    Bring another large pot of water to a boil, then add the zucchini noodles and blanch quickly for 1-2 minutes. Remove the noodles with a slotted spoon and place in a colander. Immediately run cold water over them then turn them out onto a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Set off to the side until your sauce is done.
    Add the asparagus to the same pot of water and cook for about 3 minutes until tender but still crisp. Drain the water and set the asparagus off to the side.
    Sauté the prosciutto and mushrooms in the olive oil for 5 minutes over medium heat. Reduce heat to low while you make the sauce.
    Drain the cashews, but reserve the soaking water. Blend the cashews with 1 cup of the soaking water in a blender. Add the lemon juice, nutmeg, basil, salt, pepper, and garlic and blend to a smooth sauce.
    Add the sauce, asparagus, and the peas to the mushrooms and prosciutto and simmer for 7-10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and remove from heat. If your sauce is a little too thick, add a bit of the cashew water to help thin it out.
    Serve the sauce over the zucchini noodles garnished with toasted pine nuts and fresh basil.
    The pasta will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Some water will gather at the bottom of your container because of the zucchini. You can drain it before heating, or simply stir it into the sauce to help thin it as it thickens when chilled.

Zucchini lasagna:

Instructions

Slice zucchini long ways into thin strips (like lasagna pasta)
    Slice a good sized tomato, keeping the slices in a circle
    Layer zuchinni then pesto sauce (can make own pesto sauce if you'd like), then tomato, keep repeating with however tall you'd like it to be
    You can also add the same alfredo sauce as above to this if you'd like

Simples:

1 cup cooked chickpeas
    1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon dried sage
    Salt and pepper

I had a go at these but I messed up, forgot to add the chickpeas and tried to add them after and made it too wet, disaster :o It turned out all weird and rubbery like someone said in the other thread about seitan. I messed up though, I'm gona try them again.

Some nice recipes there guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Simples:

1 cup cooked chickpeas
    1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon dried sage
    Salt and pepper

I made these last night. Used smoked paprika and didnt have any sage so doubled up on the thyme. I also added a few drops of liquid smoke. A few mins each side on the grill pan and served èm up with some salad! A great quick fix, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Some burgers I just came across in the Huffington Post - some of them look ridiculously good!

Advertisement