Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Patio Layer (?)

• 28-06-2014 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi all, wonder can anyone recommend someone in Ennis area to redo a patio for me.

Currently it has a terrible brick patio with weeds coming up through every gap. Never ending job to keep it clear.

Thinking of getting something like patterned cement laid. Area is approx. 3m x 4m.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If it's patterned cement you're looking for I'd just ring William's concrete out the Tulla Road, they'll probably be able to do everything for you or at worst recommend someone to do the job for you.
    http://www.wcp.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Thanks for the suggestion Clareman.

To be honest though I'm not so much looking for someone who can do the job as much as someone who comes recommended. I'm quite fussy about quality of work and I got the impression from reading around that there are a lot of cowboys offering the service.

I'm not stuck on the idea of the concrete stuff either. I just don't want a finish that has gaps in it like the current brick! Soul destroying to clean the weeds out of 100's of brick gaps only for the weeds to reappear within a couple of weeks :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Deagol wrote: »

To be honest though I'm not so much looking for someone who can do the job as much as someone who comes recommended. I'm quite fussy about quality of work and I got the impression from reading around that there are a lot of cowboys offering the service.

I'm not stuck on the idea of the concrete stuff either. I just don't want a finish that has gaps in it like the current brick! Soul destroying to clean the weeds out of 100's of brick gaps only for the weeds to reappear within a couple of weeks :(

I feel your pain, weeds and moss are a pain in the hole when it comes to patios, I was told before that the only way to get around the weeds is to lay the patio on a bed of cement, that should stop the weeks coming through, moss you just have to get over it and start sweeping it up.

William's won't put you wrong and I'd say they'd recommend a few different suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Deagol wrote: »

its very hard to prevent weeds, they only need half a mm to squese up thru. the best way to deal with weeds is to spray patio joints with 'round-up' or similar weed killer in spring when they appear, and maybe later in the summer if they appear again - it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Hi Marzic, thanks for the suggestion but I don't use chemical weedkillers. Both for the reason that I have pets and that I think there is enough of the stuff in the environment as it is.

My mind is made up, the bricks are going :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

There is a product called Botament Pf Garden that sets hard in the joints but the joints need to be 12mm. Hardware shop on Clonroad has it on display in their garden centre. Aprox 60 per 10m2 bucket but a good product, weeds won't be reappearing.

Advertisement