Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dooradoyle broadband options

• 28-06-2014 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I'm moving to Dooradoyle (Cois Luachra) soon, and only now realized there's no UPC there (with I find strange as they seem to be everywhere else). What are my other options?
    I searched a bit, and it looks like I'm stuck with Eircom or one of their resellers? Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Hello,
    I'm moving to Dooradoyle (Cois Luachra) soon, and only now realized there's no UPC there (with I find strange as they seem to be everywhere else). What are my other options?
    I searched a bit, and it looks like I'm stuck with Eircom or one of their resellers? Any recommendations?

Technically they're not resellers. They have their own network and all eircom do is connect the customer to the other company, over Eircom's lines and repair faults on their lines.

Vodafone are good in my experience and are the cheapest. You should be able to get FTTC out there. If you get eVision note your broadband speed will slow down.

Magnet do not have a contract. It depends on whether or not you want to bundle tv, phone and/or broadband.

Smart Telecom are in Limerick- as are Digiweb. Smart have their own network and may be worth looking into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Thanks Mr.G. After doing some calculations it looks like Voda is the cheapest, not too much cheaper from Eircom but want to avoid Eircom at all cost based on previous experience:

Magnet (no contract)
    €46.99 * 18 + 57.99 (installation) = 903.81 for "up to" 100MB

Vodafone (18 month contract)
    35 * 18 = 630 again "up to" 100MB, no installation

Eircom
    30 * 6 + 45 * 12 = 720 for - according to their site - 70MB

Any other options?

Thanks Mr.G. After doing some calculations it looks like Voda is the cheapest, not too much cheaper from Eircom but want to avoid Eircom at all cost based on previous experience:

Magnet (no contract)
    €46.99 * 18 + 57.99 (installation) = 903.81 for "up to" 100MB

Vodafone (18 month contract)
    35 * 18 = 630 again "up to" 100MB, no installation

Eircom
    30 * 6 + 45 * 12 = 720 for - according to their site - 70MB

Any other options?

With vectoring it's 100Mbps. Speed depends on distance from the cabinet.

I'd never use Eircom. In my experience, they're gangsters. Vodafone are much better to deal with.

Check uswitch.ie and bonkers.ie to see other alternatives.

Some other providers for FTTC are UTV Connect and Digiweb. You won't get anything more than 100Mbps tbh and for the price Vodafone offered I think it's pretty reasonable.

Never understood the eircom hatred. I have efibre here in dooradoyle (not far from where you are OP) since last october and they have been nothing but brilliant. They even gave me 6 months free e vision. Never once had to ring customer care or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

my "hatred" as you are calling it comes from being a customer for couple years, they were the only provider available in the area (and resellers like BT). the only good thing about them at the time was the fact they kept they customer support in Ireland, as opposed to everyone else who outsourced it and forced you to speak to people that barerly understood you (and vice versa)

• Advertisement

In my experience dealing with Eircom they are a company full of red tape, lazy workers that feel they work in the public sector. Certainly not as efficient as Vodafone or UPC.

I'm not labelling them all as lazy and I'm not labelling the public sector as lazy.

Eircom are slow to do anything. Only for ComReg moving them forward they would still be at dialup.

The company is not very stable. They went into examinership before and if they go bust the state will end up bailing them out.

It's difficult for Eircom to get rid of many of their employees because they have been working there so long.

As for their customer service, slow, long hold times and inefficiency is king. I will say this however: their technical support department is good, but good luck with customer care.

Ask anyone who has worked with them. Different kettle of fish to other providers completely. Porting a phone line port used to take 2 weeks. 2 weeks! Now it's 24-48 hours.

If you have a fault, you should have someone out within a day (unless it's after a storm etc. where there are a lot of faults), not a week.

Advertisement