Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping in Gatwick

Options
  • 28-06-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I'm flying with Ryanair to Gatwick on the 12 December,the flight gets in at 21.10,my connecting flight with Norwegian doesn't depart until 6am,will they allow me to sleep in the Airport ?,do I have to go out after getting off my Ryanair flight and come back through security or can I stay Airside.
    I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Scotty15 wrote: »
    I'm flying with Ryanair to Gatwick on the 12 December,the flight gets in at 21.10,my connecting flight with Norwegian doesn't depart until 6am,will they allow me to sleep in the Airport ?,do I have to go out after getting off my Ryanair flight and come back through security or can I stay Airside.
    Thanks

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/europe/londongatwick.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I slept on the floor landslide about 3 years ago and we went thru as early as we could so we could lie on the sofas. One of mates went into a trendy clothes shop to get them to turn their music down it was ridiculously loud but to be fair they turned it down. Landside was very poor for anywhere to kip so if you can stay airside thats the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,693 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Scotty15 wrote: »
    Thanks

Why not book a room in the Hampton by Hilton that is within the North Terminal?

It's very reasonably priced and nice rooms.

Far better than dossing in the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

salmocab wrote: »
    Landside was very poor for anywhere to kip so if you can stay airside thats the way to go.

Is that possible when either leg of the flight is a Ryanair flight? I always thought you had to be on a through ticket to stay airside?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'd imagine you're going to have to kip landside. You are supposed to exit through arrivals when you return and because your next flight is the next morning they'll most likely refuse you entry and tell you to return early in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) is offering rooms for 69:00 quid.... are you really going to run the risk of having all your stuff stolen before your holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

There is a yotel hotel at gatwick and it's actually inside the ryanair terminal, it's 62pound that night including tea/coffee and since it's actually inside the terminal, there is no transfer time to the hotel, so more sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Scotty15

There is a yotel hotel at gatwick and it's actually inside the ryanair terminal, it's 62pound that night including tea/coffee and since it's actually inside the terminal, there is no transfer time to the hotel, so more sleep.

The look good but their is four of us going so we would need 2 twins so that would come to £170 for 6 hours.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

You won't be able to stay airside, on arrival, you will have to go landside, and there's no link back into the departure side without checking in for the next flight, and there's NO facilities other than the absolute essentials on the arrival route into the terminal.

It's been a long time since I passed through Gatwick, ( I have that joy coming up in a couple of months time), but if it's anything like most other airports, they actively discourage spending time landside, or airside come to that, their only interest these days is persuading people to spend as much as possible in the shops or bars, and things like comfortable seating, or somewhere quiet and peaceful are long gone in the rush to the bottom, not helped by airlines that don't want to pay for anything in the way of services these days.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The best place to sleep in the south terminal is probably in the check-in area, and probably near the London News company near the back of the Easyjet and Virgin check in desks in the south, the alternative is upstairs in the south terminal where the restaurants are! You might get some kip on the floor there! Or you could go to the North terminal ( there is a monorail shuttle) Many people sleep here because there are benches that are padded and you can actually lie down on them, i see passengers sleep here all the time, so my recommendation is the North terminal to the left of costa and the luggage shop! Its really easy to get back to the south terminal, the shuttle goes every 3 mins and the journey takes about 60 seconds!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I'v used it twice and for £31pp its very good. nice bed and you can have a shower and all before you leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

A triple room at the days hotel near gatwick with a shuttle bus to the airport is £54stg that night.
    3 beds,smuggle the fourth in.
    That's 14 quid each for a comfy rest and a shower.Go book it for the sake of that.
    Sleeping on the terminal floor is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Is one planning on washing prior to mixing with other unsuspecting souls?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

basill wrote: »
    Is one planning on washing prior to mixing with other unsuspecting souls?

There is a shower you can use in the south terminal, opposite the lifts on the same level as Weatherspoons (floor 3 in the lift) and im sure there is one in the North but i cant remember where

Advertisement