Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclock problems

Options
  • 28-06-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all

I built a pc with help from boards in Febuary in has in general been fantastic and here are the specs

8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer, Sockel 1150, ATX
    ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5, GeForce GTX 780
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Intel Core i5-4670K Box, LGA1150
    Windows 8

I had and still plan to get a 1440p but not just yet
    Mostly I was playing Bf4 and csgo and other random games at 1080 maxing out at good fps no problem

A while ago I looked into overclocking first using the EZ overclock using the API to start and then and the uefi but ran into problems. I then using multiple guides tried to set my own overclock and using intel burn test and prime and boot testing was able to pass with a 4.5GHZ with temps maxing at 90 degrees during test but under "normal high load" eg video render never breaking 80.

The problem I was getting that intermittently I am getting windows blue screen and it is forcing a restart. I ran HWMmonitor with logs and after the restart confirmed that temps were fine

This is the error I was (am) getting (once it was different but missed that is said)
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCPTION (nvlddmkm.sys)

So I tried lowering my settings in steps eventually to 4.0GHZ with little improvement but still getting a crash when gaming anywhere from 5 minutes in to 2 hours in at that point I gave up as the turbo is to 3.8 anyway and am issue free but disappointed.

Yesterday I started to play arma 3 again and feel an overclock would be nice improvement to the poor fps and drops I am getting so I am looking for help in how to approach and trouble shoot a fresh look at an overclock or have I just been unlucky with my mobo, cpu combo and have to put up with what I have

Thx Bean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

What kind of voltage are you using to get 4.5ghz? Be careful of using IBT or some versions of Prime with a Haswell chip as some us AVX instructions which make for an overly/unnecessarily stressful stress test. You should expect 4.2ghz MINIMUM from the setup you have tbh.

Use AIDA or x264 to stress your chip.

Advertisement