Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a bit of a hand for a decision

Options
  • 28-06-2014 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I am not currently licensed for any firearm although I go out shooting with my father around the farm. He has a rifle that is over 40 years old he bought it for £100. I really like this rifle but I want to have a 10/22 for pest control more then anything. I do not have the heart to destroy the rifle as it has values to me. Instead of the 10/22 I was thinking could I get a .22WMR in semi auto as the law states not over a .22 what is your opinion can I get it in semi auto I have done some research but can not find a whole lot. I want the WMR for foxing, wild dogs that could harm animals and mercy shots.

Finished Edit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Sull576 wrote: »
    I am not currently licensed for any firearm although I go out shooting with my father around the farm. He has a rifle that is over 40 years old he bought it for £100. I really like this rifle but I want to have a 10/22 for pest control more then anything. I do not have the heart to destroy the rifle as it has values to me. Instead of the 10/22 I was thinking could I get a .22WMR in semi auto as the law states not over a .22 what is your opinion can I get it in semi auto I have done some research but can not find a whole lot. I want the WMR for foxing, wild dogs that could harm animals and mercy shots.

Finished Edit

Off the top of my head , if it's not .22lr and it's semi auto then it's restricted. You will have to demonstrate why you need a restricted firearm over a unrestricted one .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I'm pretty sure it says if it is not a rimfire then is makes it a restricted so a semi WMR would be fine.

4. (1) Firearms other than those to which subparagraph (2) relates are declared to be restricted firearms for the purposes of the Act:

(2) This subparagraph relates to the following firearms:

(a) single-shot or repeating short firearms capable of discharging only blank ammunition;

(b) shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges, but not to shotguns—

(i) with a detached, folding or telescopic stock, or

(ii) with a pistol grip, or

(iii) whose barrel is less than 60.9 centimetres (24 inches) in length;

(c) the following long firearms (not being assault rifles or bullpup rifles):

(i) single-shot or repeating rifled centre-fire firearms of a calibre not exceeding 7.62 millimetres (.308 inch) and whose overall length is greater than 90 centimetres,

(ii) single-shot, repeating or semi-automatic rim-fire firearms designed to fire rim-fire percussion ammunition and with a magazine having a capacity of not more than 10 rounds,

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sull576

juice1304 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it says if it is not a rimfire then is makes it a restricted so a semi WMR would be fine.

4. (1) Firearms other than those to which subparagraph (2) relates are declared to be restricted firearms for the purposes of the Act:

(2) This subparagraph relates to the following firearms:

(a) single-shot or repeating short firearms capable of discharging only blank ammunition;

(b) shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges, but not to shotguns—

(i) with a detached, folding or telescopic stock, or

(ii) with a pistol grip, or

(iii) whose barrel is less than 60.9 centimetres (24 inches) in length;

(c) the following long firearms (not being assault rifles or bullpup rifles):

(i) single-shot or repeating rifled centre-fire firearms of a calibre not exceeding 7.62 millimetres (.308 inch) and whose overall length is greater than 90 centimetres,

(ii) single-shot, repeating or semi-automatic rim-fire firearms designed to fire rim-fire percussion ammunition and with a magazine having a capacity of not more than 10 rounds,

So really would I be likely to get a semi auto .22WMR?

Sure why not, It would be unrestricted once it has a magazine capacity of less than 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Semi auto wmr's are a easy process pick the gun you want and go for it..

You have enough reasons above to justify one!

'hdz

• Advertisement

First semi auto I ever shot was a 611 CZ..

A rare gun and only increasing in value!

Try source one down for a reliable wmr

'hdz

Sure why not, It would be unrestricted once it has a magazine capacity of less than 10.

What I meant was allowed because the super around my area is supposed to be not very willing to allow any guns around

It shouldn't make any difference, You have a valid reason for having it. Once you have permissions and the required security in place then there shouldn't have any problems. It is an unrestricted rimfire rifle i don't see why you will have any trouble. And the only person who can actually tell you what your super will say is your super i wouldn't listen to what others say because it is usually rubbish half the time, He doesn't really have anything to refuse you on.

It shouldn't make any difference, You have a valid reason for having it. Once you have permissions and the required security in place then there shouldn't have any problems. It is an unrestricted rimfire rifle i don't see why you will have any trouble. And the only person who can actually tell you what your super will say is your super i wouldn't listen to what others say because it is usually rubbish half the time, He doesn't really have anything to refuse you on.

Your right I guess I have the my reason the security can be arranged. All I know he refused a friend a .22WMR bolt action but he eventually have in. Now to start looking for the right model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Didn't ruger do a magnum version of the 10/22 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

rowa wrote: »

They did a few but there aren't many around!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You need a few things in place; land permission you have, good reason you have as well and I assume there's a safe already since there's a rifle in the family ? If you're going to store the rifle in a different location an additional safe may be required but that should be the height of it.

Keep in mind that it's not the Super's personal preference as a few have found out in the courts recently but his/her duties and obligations as set out in law and guidelines that have to be applied. The local Super has quite some autonomy when it comes to these decisions but autonomy is all it is, they still need factual arguments supporting their position.

rowa wrote: »

Taken off the market quickly due to an internal flaw..

Make good money..

You need a few things in place; land permission you have, good reason you have as well and I assume there's a safe already since there's a rifle in the family ? If you're going to store the rifle in a different location an additional safe may be required but that should be the height of it.

Keep in mind that it's not the Super's personal preference as a few have found out in the courts recently but his/her duties and obligations as set out in law and guidelines that have to be applied. The local Super has quite some autonomy when it comes to these decisions but autonomy is all it is, they still need factual arguments supporting their position.

I will keep that in mind thanks. I brought up the subject as I have never seen a semi auto WMR around Board.ie, shops or ranges so that may make searching a bit harder. Thanks to everyone who helped me and got involve in the topic

Advertisement