Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a bad transcript hold my masters application back.

Options
  • 28-06-2014 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So yeah I got a 2.1 at 66% and want to apply for a masters in finance in either Trinity or UCD next year. However I'm just wondering will the fact that my transcript is terrible stop me getting onto a course. Basically I was made to believe in 1st year that it was only final year results that were taken into account for your degree grade, I took this to mean that no one would ever see the results for my first two years. SO I spent two years working in nightclubs, drinking a lot etc. I failed and repeated and only started taking things seriously for the big push at the end. It wasn't until I started looking at masters that I saw they required transcripts.

Basically my question is this; on the UCD and trinity websites is has their requirements as a 2.1 in a related degree, am I to take this as a 2.1 and you are in or is the 2.1 a bottom line requirement.

All advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Not sure I get it.

You got a 2.1, if a course requirement is a 2.1 then you meet the requirement. They'll require a transcript to verify what you got in your degree as a degree certificate may not state it specifically. I failed a year of college but still got accepted into my MSc with a 2.1 in my degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I really doubt you'll have any issues. If you ended up with a 2.1 overall, it shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

You should be absolutely fine. The only time you might not be is if they have fewer places than applicants and everyone else who applies got a first, which is very unlikely. Good luck with your application!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

If you're paying for the masters, then it really shouldnt matter. If you were competing for a scholarship or something then it might come into play.

Advertisement